Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast

Thumbs up DiggerPede's Project: 1/10 Rally 4WD Orange/Black Unboxed & Some Upgrades

Yay the big brown truck dropped off my 1/10 Rally 4WD Orange/Black car after lunch. I came home from work and the little guy had opened the shipping box it came in. He was all excited to start busting into the box. LOL I told him we can after soccer practice and supper. After finishing supper ( he almost fell asleep on the couch ), I whispered in his ear you want to open the car and he jumped up with excitement. Needless to say we opened the box and he helped me inspect everything over. He was super excited. Even the wife liked it and thought it was awesome. I promised him the TQi transmitter, so that was all his.

I tucked the little family in bed and looked the car over. First off this car is frigg'n huge and a piece of art work. Of course the Orange/ Black body is the sweetest look'n. 1000x better in person, & pics don't do it any justice. My only concern is the shell is paper thin. Any carnage and it'll be toast. I think i'm going to drywall tape and sho-goo the inside. Any of you guys going to do that?? I'm really digg'n this new LCG chassis, it hugs the ground perfectly. Very good R&D Traxxas. I yanked the old Nimh pack and test fitted my 2S SPC 5400 50c with no issues whatsoever. I centralized the pack in the chassis pan and it fit perfectly, won't be no movement here. I'm a huge fan of the sliding battery hold downs. This needs to be used in more Traxxas models. The shocks aren't to bad, they seem to hold the car in place fairly nice ( talk about this later on). I also like the use of the MJ rear sliding shock mount ( looks to be the same width, not positive though ). The front mounts are totally sweet, they rock to fit the curves of the body, ingenious!! Lastly the tires arent that bad. I could see getting a pair of street treads for on road use. When I test fitted the pack I had to test out the electrics to make sure they are good to go. This car actually runs nice & quiet with the stock brushless system. Really peppy, even with stock gearing. I'm impressed even out of box form.

Starting the upgrading process didnt last long. I did the test run as stated above. First thing I did was pulled the Ultras and installed the Losi 10-Ts. This took a few minutes as I jacked them from my Rusty build. As much as I wanted to be in a hurry I took my time to get everything right. These upgraded shocks are so much more plush. I managed to get both sets removed, ultras to the Rusty and the 10-T's installed on the new Rally. I set the springs to where I felt they would work best at the moment. I'm currently running the stock black springs that come on the losi's. I want them to stay stiff so this might be the perfect setup. I'll see once I put the car in action. Man time flew once I started messing with the car and drewling all over it. This is as far as I went before I went in for some *shut eye*.

My plans this evening are to solder on bigger 4.0mm bullets on the ET-3S & ET-2400kv combo. Plus cover the wires with mesh & heat shrink. I have a few more parts in the mail that are scheduled for delivery this week. The Traxxas alloy bearing adapter 6893x should be in the breadbox today. The upgraded slipper and alloy shoes by Friday. That's all for now. Saturday looks like it might be a nice day for running. Plus cooler weather is on the horizon for us in the South. LOL

The upgrade plans for the future are another set of RPM A-arms ( have one set ready for install ), Lunsford Titanium Punisher links & hinge pins, and the battery expansion kit. Other thoughts down the road are either Tekno or MIP axles. I'm debating on whether or not I want to dye my chassis. Its good for show but not sure i'm going to do it since its so low riding. What are ya'll doing? I seen one guy already did and it came out reall good.

I think I hit this up pretty good and in short an idea or what upgrade plans are in the future. Now to the snap shots of it direct from the packaging.

I have to say the safety cone Orange is the sweetest!! LOL

....TBC....
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 10-24-2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: ..doh...didn't move it to an album
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Chassis Pics Stock & A Few Upgrades

.....Continued.....

Chassis pics in stock form:

.....TBC.....
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 10-24-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: ...album fix.....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Now To AN Upgrade. LOL

.....Continued.....

This is one Sexy Orange tire:

.....Upgrade.....

Losi 10-T Fr Shocks Installed:

Rr Installed:

Well that's it for now. More upgrades in the next couple of days.

Thanks for looking!!
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 10-24-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: ...last one....good to go!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    can you toss a pic of the bottom up. I have some 3mm vinyl film that I use on my truggy. Wonder if it would be nice to put on this.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    can you toss a pic of the bottom up. I have some 3mm vinyl film that I use on my truggy. Wonder if it would be nice to put on this.
    I'm at work and didnt take a pic of the bottom of the chassis. I should have though. Doh!!! Here is a pic of the bottom of the chassis in a few threads down. Follow the link.

Chassis Pic
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Orange/black is definitely the coolest and the FASTEST! Good choice Digger!!!

Did yours come with a manual? Mine didn't and I find this a odd oversight, certainly just a minor blip in the overall scheme of things, but odd none the same. My first impressions of the car are:
    Nice quality right out of the box.
    Fit and finish is improved with each generation of Traxxas vehicle I purchase with this car being the best Traxxas so far.
    I thought the stock body was thick and heavy, but I am used to paper thin bodies for performance only racing. (I guess it is a very subjective thing, right?)
    I was surprised at the heavy shock oil damping; however this is mandatory to change with operating conditions so no big deal if it is off.
    Overall I give the car a solid "A" grade right out of the box!!!

I WANT the new ESC/motor system Pavmentsurfer bought. Are you listening Luke?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Orange/black is definitely the coolest and the FASTEST! Good choice Digger!!!
    Don't you agree pics don't do it any justice!! The wheels even look cleaner with it.

Did yours come with a manual? Mine didn't and I find this a odd oversight, certainly just a minor blip in the overall scheme of things, but odd none the same.
    I got the bag with all the goodies, looked to be a manual, seen the tools, stickers, shock & battery spacers. I was to excited to bust that open to verify. Did you get that package inside the box under the car?

My first impressions of the car are:
    Nice quality right out of the box.
    Fit and finish is improved with each generation of Traxxas vehicle I purchase with this car being the best Traxxas so far.
    I thought the stock body was thick and heavy, but I am used to paper thin bodies for performance only racing. (I guess it is a very subjective thing, right?)
    Very good fit & finish. I have to totally agree with you. This is one of the finest so far. Traxxas. This is probably one of the thinnest bodies i've owned. Now I understand where you are coming from and agree with you. I do feel the rear wheel wells could be slightly trimmed on the fwd side. They are vey close to rubbing sitting there, and will only tear or wear away within a runs time. I'm thinking about taking a couple mm off. Other than that its a nice shell.

I was surprised at the heavy shock oil damping; however this is mandatory to change with operating conditions so no big deal if it is off.
    Overall I give the car a solid "A" grade right out of the box!!!
    They really werent setup to bad. After they run a little bit that will end up lightening up. I have this thing for Ten-T's and how they perform. They fit really well on this car. I'll have to run them a little bit and tweak them on the way

"A+" for me. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Congrats on the Rally bud. Looks great Those Ten-T's are awesome shocks for sure. Good idea on the tape/sho goo that's what I was planning as well, I want that body to last me.

Sounds like your little guy is a diggerpede JR. Soon will see him on here with his own builds lol

Lets see some vids
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    Congrats on the Rally bud. Looks great Those Ten-T's are awesome shocks for sure. Good idea on the tape/sho goo that's what I was planning as well, I want that body to last me.

Sounds like your little guy is a diggerpede JR. Soon will see him on here with his own builds lol

Lets see some vids
    That's on my "to do list".

I just checked my AmainHobbies order and its in town out for delivery. WOW!! Once you get your Orange/Black rally every thing is speedy for sure. LOLOL That means I'll have the upgraded Slipper, bearing adapter, and alls I have to do is mount the ESC & Motor then do my clean up job on it.

That means maybe I can get some running footage. YES!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Nice work Digger, so far its looking sweet! I got a little thing of my own going, just waiting on the front trx bumper and body. Ill be watching n reading, really looking forward to you'd build!
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Subcribed! Looking good so far! I really like the Rally...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    good start digger

Thumbs up

My SPC lipo won't fit. I'll have to work with it some more.

What transmitter will you use with this? I see you're giving your tQi to the little guy.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

He's already running tqi with his trucks. Digger ordered and added the telemetry parts as soon as they were listed after the dragster release. Good move too. Really cool that his boy will be getting the full education of these trucks/components early. I can picture him being an authority among his crew of friends later in life. So much of this hobby relates to real life mechanics, I feel bringing the kids in will be an advantage for him. It should give him a base line for understanding mechanics, electronics in part, voltage, suspension....well... im preaching to the choir here lol.

First off, Thanks dread, wolf, & dash. I ended up busting the moves on the little guys ride. I almost have his little car setup with some nice upgrades. Anyways after some yard work this evening i'll hit the Rally up.

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    My SPC lipo won't fit. I'll have to work with it some more.

What transmitter will you use with this? I see you're giving your tQi to the little guy.
    Still can't get your SPC to fit?? My 2S 5400 50C fit perfectly. I did like Jakey said and mounted it in the middle of the tray no issues whatsoever. I also fitted a 2S 5000 40C pack to.

I have 2 TQi's already. One a 3 channel the other a 4 channel. So far I like how they work. Making changes on the fly is as simple as it gets. The only drawback so far is it doesnt have the feel like your more expensive ones. I have a Spektrum and I love the throttle and steering feel on it. I can only dream what a Futaba would be like in my hands.

So figured I'd hook the little guy up. He was super excited to have one like Daddy's.

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    He's already running tqi with his trucks. Digger ordered and added the telemetry parts as soon as they were listed after the dragster release. Good move too. Really cool that his boy will be getting the full education of these trucks/components early. I can picture him being an authority among his crew of friends later in life. So much of this hobby relates to real life mechanics, I feel bringing the kids in will be an advantage for him. It should give him a base line for understanding mechanics, electronics in part, voltage, suspension....well... im preaching to the choir here lol.
    Appreciate it dread. OG he is spot on he's got a dang good memory. At least I know someone reads my stuff. LOL Man he's such a good little guy. Does a great job at driving to. He'd drive 8 days a week if he could. Getting him into them is one of the best things I could have ever done. Like dread said it will teach him tons about the understanding of mechanics. BTW have you checked out that vid of him playing in the water with his MERV? Good stuff there. I can't believe how quick he took onto it. He still runs into stuff but handles that little car very well.

I'm installing him a CC 5700kv & CC/ HPI Waterproof rebadged Sv2 Waterproof ESC. I got all the goodies and almost had it mounted up. But forgot to pick up the plate for the 550 motor mount. Ughhh... Did some suspension cleanup, new springs, and Road Hawg I on Rulux. Looks totally sweet.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Update: Revo Slipper w/ Alloy Shoes, 4.0mm Bullets & Cable Wrap

I have a little updates going on. A couple days ago I installed the Revo Slipper & alloy shoes. I dont know I just like this upgrade with the bigger bite. Some like it and others dont see the point. It's $10 for the setup, cheap IMO. LOL

Next up I soldered 4.0mm bullets on the ET-3s, ET-2400. Then I wrapped all that, the JR cable from the ESC & extension. I really like how clean it came out. It takes a few minutes but really protects the wiring and makes them look good.

Tinned my wire, fixing to solder a 4.0mm bullet on.

JR extension wrapped.

I'm still thinking about going ahead and blacking out my chassis.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    cant wait to see that motor and esc mounted!
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Enthusiast
    Great Rally. I really like the blue 10-T shocks. How much difference do you think the Losi shocks will make over the stock shocks? Are they bigger bores, are they taller? Im Definitely getting those for my blue/black Rally.
    1/10 Rally, 1/16 BB Merv, 1/16 BB Rally

RC Champion
    I want to know how that motor/ESC combo works....wondering if its optimized for short bursts of heavy acceleration and not long run times

CANT WAIT FOR MINE!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    I want to know how that motor/ESC combo works....wondering if its optimized for short bursts of heavy acceleration and not long run times

CANT WAIT FOR MINE!
    I've put a couple packs through my Rusty build with the ET-3S ESC and it performs just like the MMP. Baldy is running the same ESC in his HR Pede. I call it good for the money. Plus its sans an on/off switch to. Only negative is the wires are a tad shorter.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    AWESOME! even still, I think the shorter wires are needed with the motor and esc being so close.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    AWESOME! even still, I think the shorter wires are needed with the motor and esc being so close.
    Heck ya! Plus I moved up to 4.0mm bullets like the Castle 2400 SCT combo of the same.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Update: Dyed Chassis Black!!

I went on forth and dyed my chassis black. Man it looks good. I'm glad I did it. You can't argue all blacked out is the BoMb!!!

Now to mount the chassis, and all the goodies back together.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Nice, black is always better!

RC Champion
    Is a 'black' chassis faster or................Oooops never mind wrong thread

LOL! They should make a black and white Rally, that would be just awsome! Anyway, back to the topic. Looking nice Digger! I like the black chassis!

Edit: Double post, grrrrr. Hmmm Since I double posted anyway, how much did the ET-3S & ET-2400kv combo cost you?
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 10-28-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    Yes it is, especially with the O-R-A-N-G-E color combination!!

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Nice, black is always better!
    Yessir it is. This one actually took dye real nicely. I think I boiled it in half the time as the others. Hmmm...I did add the rest of the bottle in there to.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    LOL! They should make a black and white Rally, that would be just awsome! Anyway, back to the topic. Looking nice Digger! I like the black chassis!
    Appreciate it!! Now to re-assemble the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Edit: Double post, grrrrr. Hmmm Since I double posted anyway, how much did the ET-3S & ET-2400kv combo cost you?
    $50ish for the ESC & $100 for the motor. I won both within minutes so the shipping was reduced. Not to bad really for what you get. I was hoping to pick the motor up for around $75. Wasnt many left and I wanted it, so guess I had to pay.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Update: New List of Parts Added

Got bored and done some eBaying!! Boy is that dangerous sometimes. Ok here is some updates I came up with.

Upgrades:
    RPM Fr/ Rr A-arms ( I have one set already )
    MIP 10130 Rr MIP X-Duty CVD's
    Hot Racing SLF311 Fr/Rr Anti Sway Bar Set
    Snappy-RC MMP ESC Mount

Notice the font is in orange, because it reflects the fastest color!!!

This is what will be arriving this week. All my other stuff is here and mounted on the car, or will be by tomorrow. LOL

I have a set of wheels i'm going to try for fitment. I'll check them out and see if I like them. These would be 17mm upgrades.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    Hey DiggerPede were and what part numbers did you use for the TRX ET-3S esc and motor? I can't seem to find it to price it. Have you got it fitted into your rally and running yet?
    Tailrotors are for weenies!!

Well I got the car together, installed everything for a road test. I Jerry rigged the ESC on the side chassis until I get my snappy-RC mount. I also installed the voltage tab and temp sensor. Updated the ET-3S firmware and also programmed it via link. All settings good to go, slapped in a 3S pack and took her for a spin. I have it geared 17/54, ambient temp at 60*, the motor got no hotter than 76*. LOL I ran it WOT for around 15 minutes and testing braking. I think I have the Ten- T shocks tuned close. Man this thing runs like a dream.

Anyways here are some pictures of it together after the test run.

And yes I run my RC's and they get dirty. LOL I'm currently charging a couple packs at the moment.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I'm thinking the the next rally Traxxas put's out will have the ETs-3 and 2400 blue motor.. Also the next slash 4x4's will have the LCG chassis and this system. Willing to bet they go this way.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

Thumbs up Update: Cleaned Up the Wiring and First Full 3S Pack Run!!!!

The other night I took the Rally for a spin to test out the electrics and dial in the shocks and such. As you could tell I tie strapped the ESC on the side guard. LOL This was just to make sure I liked what was going on and not keep taking stuff in and out to get it dialed in.

Sunday night I liked where it was at. So, I cut the shrink wrap and pulled the wrap off then installed the voltage tab wir. Then slid new shrink and wire wrap to conceal the loose wire. Keeps everything nice and clean while protecting them. I also decided to keep the ESC by the motor and drop the Rx box back to the chassis pan. Looks way cleaner and kees the CG real low still.

Also notice as noted above I dyed the chassis. Which I'm glad I did as it brings it all together. Man I wish they would send these in Black vs the gray color. LOL

I'm currently geared 17/54 with the ET-3S ET-2400, 3S 5200 50C Lipos, and tested it at 70* ambient and the motor got around 115* WOT and about 40 mins runtime. This motor has so much torque its crazy. Oh and the chassis fits these big can motors with no modding needed. Maybe they are thinking about adding this ESC & motor combo in the future!!?? Heck I was having so much fun I ran it to 3.5vpc. I think i'm going to start running mine to that set point more often.

Also notice I changed my treads to some black 17mm buggy wheels. Picked these up with my Sl4sh build back in June. I had a brand spank'n new set of Traxxas 17mm adapters I purchased many moons back for the same build, went with Tekno axles and adapters. Which I'm glad I did. Only sad part they arent ORANGE!! These wheels ended up fitting really nicely in the wheel wells, tucked in beautifully. I did have to trim a little bit of the body from the front of the fender as they grabbed just a hair. I did the same to the back with the stock tires. I think the black wheels really set it off. What do you think?

You will notice there is a gap between the tires and body, maybe a little more than stock. As the car starts running and the oil heats up the car actually starts to drop some. I'm still working with getting them right where I want them. Nothing to major. I purchased a Team-Losi shock tool a month back. I might yank the shocks off and test them to see how well they are tuned in comparison to each other. I purchased a set of HR sway bars which will help cut down on some of the side roll. This should stiffen up the car in turns. YES!!!

I have a couple more upgrades that are shooting my direction to. Upgrading the rear axles to MIP's and also plan on installing Fr/Rr RPM A-arms. I might hold out on these until they stockers break. At least I'll have them for futues carnage. LOL

Enough of the yacking now to the pics.

.....TBC.....
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

.....CONTINUED.....

Here's the pics with the LID on!!

Hope you guys like it. Thanks for looking!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Man that Rally looks freakin awesome. Im glad the temps came out so well with that set up They need to put that in ALL the VXL 1/10 scale models. I was gonna order one this week but I ran across a deal on an EREVO i couldnt pass and bought my little girl a 1/16 scale merv. All stock for now. Looking good Digger
    SUMMIT,EREVO
    P4DE,MERV

RC Champion
    Wow, good job man Those tires/wheels look pretty sweet and same with the dye job. Good stuff, those Ten-T's look like they are ment to be on there.

Gotta love the 1080 ramp It never stays at home when I go bashing I'm takin it you took the rally off of it? YOU BETTER HAVE!!!!

Man I can't wait till I get mine, I have 4 days off starting today, hoping it's in today
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Qualifier
    Looks excellent Digger, I may go to the 17mm setup also. How tall are those tires?

Thanks guys. The tires seem to handle really well to. Glad I picked them up when I did months ago. I have another set with the same wheel but in white and have a bandlands style tread on them. They've been holding up real nicely.

@ BAMAFAN. Congrats on the new additions. You will enjoy both of them. The MERV is rock solid with a handful of upgrades. I just slapped a CC 5700kv big block motor and HPI Waterproof ESC. It scoots like there is no tomorrow. I had to tone the throttle down to 60%. Crazy fast with the gearing I have in there. LOL

@ Stephan. We take that 1080 everywhere. My little guy has a blast jumping his MERV on it. He's gotten pretty good at it too. Man I hope you get it fast so you can enjoy it before you go back to work. I hardly ever get off from work. I've only been of 2 days in October.

@ Rastus. Appreciate it man! I'm really digg'n the 17mm. I've always been a fan of the bigger hexes. I'll see what I can scoop up on the wheels/ tires. I might have to take the handy dandy measuring stick to them. haha
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
    Looks excellent Digger, I may go to the 17mm setup also. How tall are those tires?
    Just measured them with the digital gauge at 112mm tall.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    SAAWEEEEEET! KILLER looking Rally!!!

What kind of dye did you use? I'm thinking of getting a roller and converting it to a Slash 4X4 LCG, and DEFINITELY want to BLACK IT OUT!!!

AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!