Hybrid View

RC Racer

need info for converting to an e-jato

ok i know i have asked before and i am down to the point of getting the final parts for the conversion. well after looking at other ejato conversion and i am gonna go with the mamba monster sytem in it and run it from 3s to 4s. cause i want to have power and keep temps down with a little higher gearing i have planned. plus im proably gonna use it as a base for a speed run rc. possible looking to break the 100 mph for my self. and ive seen people use them on plastic tranny cases. ive been told to look at the hot racing steel tranny case and i cannot find them at all. or am i looking for the wrong part?

RC Racer
    Are you talking about steel transmission gearing or transmission case? Hot racing makes hardened steel gears, integy makes the only aluminum transmission case that I am aware of. I just purchased the hardened steel gearing from hot racing and a steel spur and robinson racing hardened steel clutch bell. I would run steel all the way back, those delrin nylon gears wont hold up to that speed very long. Check Hobbyetc.com for all of the above, fast shipping, reasonable pricing . Rc boca is good too, ordered from them recently as well.
    Last edited by mattster1971; 10-24-2012 at 07:23 AM.

RC Competitor
    Hi,
    according to your targets, go for a complete steel transmission!

For info, which motor will you use with 4S? Beware, motor with more than 36mm diameter are not easy to install correctly on the jato (I mean installed close to the chassis in order to keep a good CG)

ciao
    <-- If you slow down, you're a wimp! -->

RC Racer
    the motors ive looked at ive seen pics of it mounted in the chassis and looks ok. im either planning on using a cc mamba monster 2200kv on 4s or the cc mamba max pro with the cc 1415 motorso i can still run 4s lipo. and being a 4 pole motor its gonna have alot of power. but where should i look for the steel tranny gears or should i go to hobbytech.com. im not sure cause ive never heard of that place before. is it a good reliable site to buy from?

but then im down to my next problem. how am i gonna mount a steering servo in there after i start cutting up the front end?

RC Racer
    Why do you have to cut up the front end where the steering servo is located? You are going to have plenty of additional room after removing the fuel tank.

RC Racer
    looking at the part number 5523 which is the chassis top plate i need to cut up to make room on the chassis for everything. unless i cut it just behind the servo. but to me that looks too weak. unless i can brace it up with a little aluminum stock of sorts.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jato_builder View Post
    looking at the part number 5523 which is the chassis top plate i need to cut up to make room on the chassis for everything. unless i cut it just behind the servo. but to me that looks too weak. unless i can brace it up with a little aluminum stock of sorts.
    I would use the tank location for esc and put the lipo in the same area where the 5 cell goes now just remove part of the rear of the receiver box.

RC Racer
    im just gonna cut up the chassis top plate which gives me more room. cause im also making a gopro camera mount on it too plus a possibility of a custom cage so i need all the room i can get.

RC Competitor
    Hello,
    I think that, by using a motor bigger than 36mm you will have difficulties to match the spur gear and the pinion, because the motor shaft will be far from the spur gear as the motor will be against the tranny case...but maybe I'm wrong

Check this pic of one of my e-jatos:

and keep in mind the 36mm motor is against the tranny and I'm using 58/16 (so the biggest spur gear I found)

salut les amis

RC Racer
    with going to the mamba onster i can run a higher gear ratio and stay with in the temp ranges. and with bigger gearing i can try and keep it away.

RC Competitor
    I think you're not wrong concerning your capacity to use bigger ratio.
    this means you should run, at minimum with 58/19 or 58/20.

THEORICAL DATA:
    knowing my jato with 3500kv + 3S + 58/16 + 2nd speed locked + road rage 2.2 has a max speed = 56,89 kmh
    theoricaly with 2200kv + 4S + 58/20 + 2nd speed locked + road rage 2.2 has a max speed = 59,60 kmh

but the roll out ("how many revolutions of the motor causes the tires to move one inch") is going from 0,96:1 to 1,20:1 and keep in mind you'll had about 300 or 400g (on battery and motor) compared to a 3S setup...I'm not sure you will keep your jato cold...more over with the additional weigh, it may brake more frequently...

In my opinion your project could be valid for a pure on road and speed machine, but not very good for off road and bashing (more heat, more brakes).

In any case, go on and keep us aware about the result, this is interesting.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There is no much run to fit a big can motor, and esc, I ran MMP-3800kv on 3s and it was great.

RC Racer
    well this one will most likely turn into an all out speed machine. and i would get another roller off craigslist and turn that into a basher. using the mamba max pro and the 1415 4 pole motor. so i can use anything from 2s to 4s. 2s to 3s for bashing and 4s for using in the sand dunes. which the 1415 is a 36mm diameter and 69.5 mm length.