RC poster

Jato won't start, too high compression?

Alright I got it cranking, but now here's the problem.

I've got fuel, glow plugs plugged in tight, and it will crank and crank and crank but never fire. any idea what's going on?

NOTE: I can't seem to edit the title, so if a mod or somebody will change it accordingly.
    Last edited by Coltman; 09-21-2012 at 05:30 PM.

RC poster

here' s a video of what it's doing. (or not doing)

RC Qualifier
    You should prime it more or open the throttle a little bit when trying to start it. It sounded like get was gonna start a couple of times.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC poster
    I done both and it fired! for about 3 revolutions, and stopped. victory is close.

RC Qualifier
    Richen the lsn a little bit.

RC poster
    well since that one whap it hasn't even fired again. it tries so hard but won't. Know for a fact glow plug is good, took out checked, and made sure there was no fuel in the bottom end. I know its getting fuel bc I can see it coming into the carburetor. I richened out the lsn about 1/8th-1/4 turn and still nothing. starter battery is dead now. I'm getting frustrated. I'm so close.

RC Qualifier
    Try leaning it out now.

RC poster
    I've done a little googling waiting on my battery to charge, and I have a theory: My One way bearing is going bad and here's why I think that plus why its not starting. (maybe)

I've noticed when I first take the battery off charge and plug it in, it doesn't engage the motor. But if i kept trying and trying it eventually would. maybe by the time it engages, there's not enough juice to turn the motor fast enough to start? is that possible?

I mean you can see in the video it is trying hard but maybe. idk.

RC Qualifier
    I've had that problem take out the one-way bearing an spray it and the starter shaft with wd-40. wipe them both down and try again. Do you know how many gallons are on that engine you have?

RC poster
    not a clue sorry. I know it still has the old AM radio in it, if that tells you anything. and it is absolutely filthy.

Time to take apart the starting system again.

RC Racer
    How long did it sit before you got it? If it was a while, the fuel lines, carb, and engine could be gummed up. I'd put some fresh fuel in the tank, shake it and then dump it. Pull the plug and air filter, spray some WD-40 into the carb and engine, then turn it over a few times. Replace the fuel lines with some new ones, throw a fuel filter on and try it again with the needles at factory settings. I'd also check your clutch spring or clutch bell bearings, I noticed your rear axles spinning pretty good while you were trying to start it, that's a tell tale sign of a bad/broken spring or bad bearings.
    Last edited by Double G; 10-28-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: language

RC Competitor
    Im just taking a shot in the dark but it sounds like your not getting spark. i would pull that ez start glow wire off and use a glow wand and see what happens. Just another option cause it is turning over

RC Racer
    I actually just had the exact same problem with my jato. I bought it used and cranked for a few battery packs and it did just what yours does. I ended up taking off the carb and it was all gummed up so I rebuilt it with the traxxas kit put it back on the motor and tried again it fired right up.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by brett.schroder View Post
    How long did it sit before you got it? If it was a while, the fuel lines, carb, and engine could be gummed up. I'd put some fresh fuel in the tank, shake it and then dump it. Pull the plug and air filter, spray some WD-40 into the carb and engine, then turn it over a few times. Replace the fuel lines with some new ones, throw a fuel filter on and try it again with the needles at factory settings. I'd also check your clutch spring or clutch bell bearings, I noticed your rear axles spinning pretty good while you were trying to start it, that's a tell tale sign of a bad/broken spring or bad bearings.
    I noticed the same, the rear axles spinning as start is attempted that means the clutch was engaged, remove the bell and check the clutch shoes and spring, looks like something is engaging which would put a load on the engine but it also sounds gummed up.
    Last edited by Double G; 10-28-2012 at 09:54 AM.