Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!

Complete 4-Tec teardown and rebuild BL & 3.3 diffs

I have been wanting to do this project for some time. I knew it was only a matter of time until the Sidewinder system and lipo power destroyed my diffs. It was ok for awhile, but alas, the time has come to gibe the old girl the rebuild she needs. I figured if I'm going to go that far, I might as well go all out. I did a bit of research and got my parts list from the 3.3 diff sticky and added some more. I am going to replace all the pulleys, bearings, belts and install 3.3 Nitro diffs front and rear. I got a new bumper, foam, sway bars, rear side plates, and upgraded output yokes. I'm also shopping for some new wheels and tires and I'm also considering making a lower chassis from a piece of aluminum. I've cut several for other custom builds, and by comparison, this one would be quite easy. I got everything from ebay, but am still waiting on a few parts. Yesterday, I got two completely built new diffs with bearings for fourteen dollars including shipping! I have two sets of tires and wheels for this car already, and I'm considering getting drifters. Looks like fun. I also discovered that my rear shock tower is cracked, and I believe RPM makes a replacement, so I'll be getting one of those as well. I might also get some aluminum shocks for it since I'm going this far. This will probably take some time, as I'm busy remodeling my house. (See my thread in the Alley) Here's some pics of what I have assembled so far.....

No need for a body; this one hasn't seen much use....

Looking a little rough....

The bumper is pretty much gone. Jumping your 4-Tec in rally trim will have this affect after awhile!!

The 5700 is taking a toll on the internals....

My parts collection so far....

Not sure if you can see, but the tower is broke in two places. 2

Not bad for $14!!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 10-23-2012 at 06:26 AM.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    Wow looks good maxx, I've been thinking of doing the 3.3 diff change out to. I replaced the stock diffs already once and there holding up good so far with the vxl system. Your really missing out not haveing drift tires I think that's the best part of it, you can get a set cheap.
    Let us know how the diff change out goes and show us how you do it.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I got my side plates and yokes in finally, and with plenty of rain coming, I may get this project underway soon! First up will be tear down and cleaning. I don't work tomorrow night, so project 4Tec may begin....

RC Champion
    I haven't really gotten started with my 4tec rebuild, but I have collected a few more parts. I found an RPM rear tower at a hobby shop and I also received my Hong Kong drift tire/wheel combo. I also found a stash of 4tec parts at a shop, and got them all at a discount price. I got some axle shafts, upper and lower control arms, carriers, and some other stuff. I'm currently reworking three other trucks also, and with winter coming, the poor 4tec is not my top priority. I will continue to post some updates just to give you E-4tec diehards something to read!! Here are some pics of my updated parts collection.....

RC Champion
    Don't despair, my project is still a go! Just been busy with other vehicles lately. I have been collecting more parts for my 4tec build. I decided if I was going to rip this all apart, I might as well put it back together with hex screws. I picked up a set on ebay and a few more goodies as well. I know I said before I wasn't going to get a new body for it, but I have always loved the look of the Toyota Trueno bodies. I got one of those as well as a spiffy tuner dress up kit. Intercooler, can muffler, mirrors, disc brake hexes, and scale wipers all included! I also decided to put a Hitec 645MG servo in it to give it rock solid steering.
    I have a few other projects going on, so I'm not sure when this one will get started. I will keep on posting any new updates....

I haven't gotten any of my new goods, so I'm just using the stock photos for now.

Plenty of screws to get the job done. A few extra, too.

Yes, its from an ebay Chinamart, but a good value for seven bucks!!

Enough torque to keep it pointed where I want it to go!

RC Champion
    I got my screw pack and two days off of work coming, so I might just get started on this project, finally. Just waiting on the body and drift kit, but those are final touches. This is going to be cool. This poor old girl needs some attention.

RC Champion
    Got some more stuff in today. My Trueno body came in along with some parts for other vehicles. I also decided to get organized so I'm ready for the re-build. Basically got a parts container and organized all the screws and did some unpacking of parts. I think I'm most excited about painting up the body. Gonna have to be a crazy paint scheme for sure! Here's a few more pics. Not sure if I am going to start this tonight or not. I need to give one of my other trucks some attention so I can run it in the snow tomorrow. Anyone watching? Let me know what ya think. I know the XO-1 is all the rage right now, but at 1/5th the price, this car is still a lot of fun!

This body is pretty cool. No, the HPI stickers will not be included in the final product!

Ready to go!!

RC Champion
    Now I am really ready to get this build underway! I got all my work done on my truck for some snow running tomorrow. After I did that, I cleaned up my work bench a bit, got all the necessary tools at hand, and laid out my parts. I guess the first thing will be to strip all the electronics off the car and start ripping her apart. It will be nice to finally replace all the Phillips screws with hex-heads. Lots of cleaning and lubing will be in order, too. Gonna be fun! Stay tuned....

Let the build begin!!

Lots of cleaning and tlc in store.....

RC Champion
    Well, I got some free time tonight, (yes, I'm still awake), and I got a good bit done on my 4tec rebuild project. I got the rear end of the car all torn apart and mostly back together. I scrubbed all the pieces I'm going to reuse with Armor All and an electric toothbrush. Plastic comes out looking like new! I think the only parts I'm re-using are the diff housing, main shaft, the axles, and the turnbuckles. I had new short shafts, a-arms, bearings, belts, yokes, and most importantly, the Nitro 3.3 diffs with new larger bearings. I followed the diff swap sticky, and it was easy as pie. I put most of the rear end back together, with the exception on the shocks and the body posts. The shocks need cleaned up and rebuilt, and the body mounts are a little bent, so I'll be replacing those as well. I also came up with an idea for the paint scheme and colors I will be using when the time comes. Now for the pics.....

Can't believe all this time I've been running on bushings! They gotta go!

On my way.....

New a-arm next to the crusty old one.

All cleaned up and looking like new again. Still hafta clean up and rebuild the shocks.

RPM shocktower mounted up.

How my workbench looks during a project.

Got my colors selected....

The paint job will be similar to this body. More colors and the zigzag separating the different colors will be black.

22"3

Stay tuned; more to come.....

RC Champion
    bout time i see a 4-tec on this forum. i sure wish traxxas would come out with a new improved 4-tec. love to street race with my flux 2. but id rather have a brushless 4-tec. hint, hint traxxas.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    I'm not really a street car guy; actually, I bought this on ebay years ago along with another rc truck and got both as rtr's for less than $100. I thought it was a good deal, so I went for it. Other than wheels & tires, esc & motor, and reciever, I haven't touched a thing on this car. Basically, once the diffs started to go, I figured I'd go ahead and rebuild the whole thing like new. I'm fascinated with the whole drift thing, so I'll be gearing it towards that aspect.
    I didn't get anything done on it today. Christmas light removal and outside chores took most of my day with nice weather and football playoffs have taken up my whole evening. Probably won't get back at it until Monday night. I did find a few more things I wanted to order from AMain Hobbies (love them). I ordered a spur gear adapter, 2 different spur gears, a pinion assortment, and front & rear body posts. All the ones on the car are usable, but bent or worn a good bit so those parts may as well match the rest of the car. And now.....off to work! Yay!!

RC Qualifier
    Nice build. Keep up the good work!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    I sure wish traxxas would come out with a new improved 4-tec. hint, hint traxxas.
    Yeah, wouldn't a scaled-down version of the XO-1 be nice? Maybe with a mmp setup?

Quote Originally Posted by DKO View Post
    Nice build. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks! I'll sure try. This is going to be a fun car when its all said and done.

RC Champion
    I did get a bit more done this morning after work. I pretty much got the rest of the car torn apart and most of it cleaned up. This car is going to look like its brand new by the time I'm done with it. Just waiting on my bearings to finish the front end.

Here's the diff and the housing removed.

Stripped down chassis.....

Totally torn down and cleaned up

I remembered reading awhile back about guys doing a chassis mod so they could fit a 3s pack in there. I never did see the exact mod, but it got me thinking. There's room in there between the upper and lower deck. Just need to raise up the battery enclosure. I found that two shock pieces with one side trimmed would work perfect.

Trimmed up...

Installed....

Perfect!!

Still works with the topdeck on there.

RC Champion
    I got so much done tonight! It's actually starting to look like a (new) rolling chassis. The rear of the car was pretty much done, so I turned my attention to the front end. I started by unpacking some new parts and using the Armor All and electric toothbrush method of cleaning up the old parts I'll be using. I only made one minor error by fastening most of the components down and securing the topdeck, forgetting that the belt had to be around the diff gear before doing so. Luckily fixing this problem was easier than before since now 90% of the screws on this car are now hex heads. I guess I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story.....

Parts all clean and pretty....

Front end mostly together. Belt on diff; VERY important step!! The shipment from AMain is not here yet, so I can't put the axles in there yet; no bearings. Also waiting on the new body posts.

Diff cover on there and the upper arms; a little closer....

Hex screws make me happy....

I also decided that this would be a good time to put the sway bars on there.

Front sways, too.

Really starting to look like something, now!

Dirty shocks in need of a rebuild....

Love my little shock building stand.....

Rest of the shock parts all cleaned up.

RC Champion
    Ready to go!

Installed on the rear.

Front looking good, as well

Coming together nicely.

No work tomorrow night, either. Sure wish my AMain delivery was here....

RC Champion
    Still no delivery yet, scheduled for Monday. I did get a few more things done, though. I rummaging around for something and discovered an almost new set of front body posts. So, I put those on, along with the bumper foam. I also decided to go with a 2055 servo for it rather than the 645mg Hitec. Figure I'll save that as an emergency backup for my crawlers. It did need a gear replaced, but I had a rebuild kit on hand, so I fixed it up. I also got most of the electronics mounted and the corresponding wires all prettied up. Just waiting on a few more key parts and this baby will be a runner! I also got the body trimmed up, but that's all with that. Need the rear posts before I can go any further with that. I like to trim, set the post holes, then clean out the body, and finally mask everything off. Seems to work well for me in that order. Hey, how 'bout some more pics!

Servo rebuilt and lubed up.

Finished up and installed. Going with a straight arm rather than a saver for a more responsive action.

Electronics mounted up.

Mostly neat and organized....

Posts in place...

And the foam. Gotta trim a bit, but we'll see how the body fits first.

That's it for tonight. Pretty much have to wait on my last shipment to finish the car. Then, the paint will be flying!

RC Champion
    Got a surprise shipment in today! I had no idea how long it would take to get my Chinamart drift parts. They came in today to my delight. I have to work tonight, so no building, but they have me excited to get the body painted. This car is going to be so cool when it's all done. Here's some pics.....

Pretty cool stuff....

Bling bling!!

Had to see how the discs would look. I think I'm going to paint the wheels, too.

RC Champion
    your build is looking great. cant wait for finish. hope to see a vid of that 5700/sidewinder in action.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    Thanks, man! I'm quite pleased at how things are going. This baby will be like a (better than) brand new car when it's all done. I can see in my mind how cool the paint job is going to be, too. I don't have to work Monday night, and could probably have it ready for paint by then. The problem is that it's supposed to be like four degrees out, so painting in my garage even with a hair dryer would not achieve optimum results. At least my last few parts are supposed to come in Monday afternoon. That'll give me a little bit to do. I'll probably get it all ready to paint Monday night. No sense in rushing now. I started collecting parts for this build in September. Some of the stock replacements, I've had for years. I bought all the parts my Hobbytown had on hand for all my vehicles before we went out of business. Nothing like 80% off! You should see the stockpile of models and building supplies I have. I think I still spent around four hundred bucks!!

RC Racer
    Very cool, you will have a bunch of fun with the car. I did a similar rebuild a few years ago and have had a blast with mine.

One thing you may consider adding is a slipper clutch as it cuts down on drive train breakage. i was having trouble striping all of the teeth off of the belts. The early Rustler slipper is bolt on.

This is before I got the wiring cleaned up.

Here it is later trying out the a set of rally wheels and tires.
    Last edited by SpyderMan1964; 01-20-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    Sam Russell

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan1964 View Post
    Very cool, you will have a bunch of fun with the car.

I'm sure I will! I've been having fun wiith this car since I got it five years ago. Now that it will be able to handle the BL power, I'm sure I will like it even more. Poor diffs were about destroyed.

One thing you may consider adding is a slipper clutch as it cuts down on drive train breakage. i was having trouble striping all of the teeth off of the belts. The early Rustler slipper is bolt on.

Thanks for that tidbit of info! I know guys were putting slippers on them, saying they were a direct fit, but I didn't know what exactly was used. I will have to look into that for sure. Better to waste a pad, rather than tear it apart to replace a belt!!

Here it is later trying out the a set of rally wheels and tires.
    NICE!! I wish I could get my hands on the carbon chassis pieces!! Nearly impossible to find these days. I had considered cutting my own chassis out of aluminum, but didn't think I'd get it perfect enough. It's one thing to fab one up for a big truck, but if a road car is out of whack, you'll know it!! Nice work!

RC Racer
    Here is my rear striped belt.

Sam Russell

RC Champion
    Yeah, I will definitely look into that slipper. With these new diffs, there will be a lot less slippage, so the belts will be a bit more stressed. Don't want to be replacing those all the time! I forgot today was a holiday, so my shipment is waiting at the post office for delivery tomorrow. No work tonight either, so I will get the mounts on there, and fit the body on the posts. The only thing I got accomplished tonight was to start prepping the body and wheels for paint. The body got a bath of denatured alcohol to remove any grime, had the window decals applied, and lathered with the first coat of Parma Fasmask. I also coated the tires with Fasmask. Just the easiest way to ensure no paint gets on the tires. They came mounted on the wheels as a drift set, so I'll just leave them on there. Not sure what color they will be yet. I think I may use one of the plastic compatable spray paints in a rattle can so I can give them several coats of clear so they will hold up. I have done this to a few sets of bead-locks, and it seems to hold up well. I wish I could paint everything this week, but with the temps not expected to climb above 25F for at least the next seven days, that is not likely. Months until I can drive it anyways, so I guess I will be patient.....

The best way I came up with to let them dry unencumbered.....

Worse than watching paint dry.....

RC Champion
    Uuuuugggg....man, did I ever have troubles tonight! Not real bad, but I was frustrated for awhile. I figured on slapping the last few parts on, get the body mounted, and start on etching the graphics out with an exacto knife. I did get my parts today, as expected, and I proceeded to put in the bearings. All that was left was to put the front upper arms on and put the motor in and fire it up for a test run on the basement floor. When I went to connect the upper arms, something was wrong. The screw holes just wouldn't line up. I swore that I had everything just as it was when I took it apart. Steering hubs on the correct side, took apart the whole front end to make sure arm pivot connection was as it should be, checked the new parts against the old ones, everything. What am I missing?? I got my tablet out and re-read the sticky on the diff swap. Aahhhh, now I see!! It dawned on me that by using the plastic yokes, it made my axles just a bit longer from end to end. Missed that part when I read it the first time. A little trimming with the dremel, and everything finally fit as it should.

Now just hook up the 5700 Castle, plug in a battery and away we go, right? Not so fast, my friends!! It powered up just fine, but when I went to test the steering, the servo just kept on turning! What now?? I replaced all the gears. Except one.....the tiny little pinion gear on the servo motor. Good thing I knew where it was. So after tearing apart the servo, again, it worked just fine. Man, does it take a lot of force to get that tiny gear on there! Had to use my Robogrip pliers. Quick and easy to explain all this, but it ate up my whole night. Car works great, though. Played with my Spektrum radio and did a few drifts in the tight confines of my basement, even with rubber tires.

Next up for the night; body mounting. I don't know why, but I always have trouble getting road bodies to mount perfectly. They either end up slightly crooked or the wheel wells are off. Usually I end up trimming the wheel well to make it look right. This time, I took my time, examined every angle, and carefully marked my front holes. I made the holes with my reamer, and slid the body on there. Aaaarrrgggg!! Stupid body is just a bit too far back. Trimming the wheel wells on a drifter body was out of the question. Needs to hug the wheels like a glove. Thankfully, it wasn't off by much. I grabbed my trusty butane mini torch and bent the posts little by little until it looked perfect. Unfortunately, I already put the window masks on, and the rear posts come through the rear window. Since I'm doing the windows in black, and its the first color to be painted, I'm just going to peel that mask off and mount the rear of the body. Another job for tomorrow night. The sun's about to come up, so I should go to sleep. Not tired, because I usually work until 8am. No work again tomorrow, so everything will be wrapped up except the paint job. Have to wait on mother nature for that, and she's not going to play nice for awhile.....hey, pics!

Parts. Parts are good!

No wonder things wouldn't match up. That's a big difference in such a short axle.

Motor in, spur and pinion set. Let's go for a spin. WAIT, what is the noise coming from the sevo about?

Tiny, tiny little gear....

That looks pretty good.

Had to bend them ever so slightly....

Wiring cleaned up; now we're ready to go!

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 01-23-2013 at 06:04 AM.

RC Racer
    Looking good.
    Sam Russell

RC Champion
    Thanks! Wait until the paint is on there. Looks like I may be painting it on Monday. Supposed to be 37F out, and although not ideal, I have painted in colder temps. Just have to keep the hairdryer handy. I'm alsoo gonna lay out the graphics later. Considering doing up the wheels tonight, too. Couple coats out of a rattle can and some clear coat. No big deal.

RC Champion
    No go on the wheel painting, but I did get the body graphics all cut out from the liquid masking. For awhile I thought I bit off more than I could chew! Lots of work with the exacto knife on this one. I think it's going to be one of my best bodies to date. It may be a bit busy for some of the sponsor graphics to stand out, but that's ok. Most of the drifter paint jobs are pretty crazy. That's what we're going for here. Here's the preview......

Had to break out the heavy artillery for this one. Need fluorescent lighting and reading glasses these days. Getting older stinks!!

I'm leaving a clear spot in the front to show off the intercooler. I considered cutting an opening to make it more realistic, but I don't want any more air than necessary getting under the body.

What have I gotten myself into??

No, it won't look like Eddie Van Halen's guitar!

Lots of tedious work....

I want to have exhaust cans sticking out of the rear, but I haven't figured out a good way to do it yet. I don't want to just put screws in the body.

RC Racer
    That is going to look great.
    Sam Russell

RC Champion
    Definitely going to paint this on Monday. Supposed to be in the mid-40's and I'm off work. I also have an order ready to go from AMain. I just have to finalize a few things. Gonna get the Rustler slipper & pegs and some Tamiya orange paint for the wheels. I tried to find some suitable rattle paint at my LHS first, but they have very little in the way of rc supplies. Them having the Rustler slipper was out of the question!

RC Champion
    I finally got to lay some paint down on my Trueno body! It looks pretty good. I kinda wish I had done the windows in black, but at the last minute I decided to go clear. Now I think I'll have to do an interior of some kind for it. The windows show to much of the inner workings for me and I think it takes away from the scale look I'm going for. I am pretty pleased with the result; not too many mistakes. I ran out of my allotted time to work on it. They always look better with the stickers on, and this one will, too.

Two colors down, three to go....

Just one more color to shoot. Then white backer and Fascoat, of course.

Before taking the window masks or overmask off.

Got the masks off and it looks good.

The intercooler looks pretty cool, I think!

Side view. Didn't get around to doing the wheels up yet. This body took a good bit of time to finish.

Definitely won't miss this baby in a crowd!!

Just gotta add stickers, accessories, and get the wheels painted. A start figuring out an interior for it. And wait for spring....

RC Champion
    I got a little bit of free time and managed to get a few stickers on there as well as some of the drift kit accessories. Looks better and better! I'll let the pics do the talking.....

RC Qualifier
    Your right! You wont miss that in a crowd! Sweet build!
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bloody wheels View Post
    Your right! You wont miss that in a crowd! Sweet build!
    Thanks! I have to stay up late tonight to stay on my 3rd shift schedule even though I don't have to work. Nice and warm out, too. Gonna have to paint up the wheels and maybe work up an interior.

RC Champion
    Well, as promised, I got my drift wheels painted up. Boy, do I love Parma Fasmask! I sprayed four coats of Pactra flourescent orange and gave it four coats of Testors wet-look gloss clear. All this paint, and the mask peeled off perfectly. The car really pops now and looks complete. I also got the rest of the stickers on the car, but didn't have much luck with coming up with an interior. I have several, but they're all geared to work with a scale crawler truck. They are just too tall to fit. I found a few on ebay that may work out. All in due time. I did, however mount the new drift tire/wheel combo, and it's awesome! I have a very limited amount of floor space to play with and managed to pull off a few good drifts. So cool! I can't wait to get this baby outside on a nice, smooth surface!! PICS!!!

Looking a little messy.....

Gloss coat applied.

Like peeling an orange....

Lookin' real nice!

Do these wheels make my body look phat?? (I hafta spell this way now, I'm a drifter hooligan!)

You feelin' my groove, dogz? (See, I did it again!)

RC Racer
    I really like it. We need a vid of it in action!
    Sam Russell

RC Champion
    Might have to wait until the tulips pop up for that. We had some warm weather (and rain) for three days, but winter is back! It's about 25 and snowing right now. I've been playing around in the basement, but I get a drift for about half a second, and have to let off. Too many dangerous obstacles down here. I still have a few more things I want to do to this car, so the thread will continue for a little while. I'm getting a rally car interior w/driver and I found some cool ground effect lighting to add to the chassis. I may also install some head and tail lights as well. I'm also trying to think of a way to mount my exhaust cans, too. The bumper is just so far away from the rear of the chassis....stay tuned. I'll keep you adrift (get it?) of the changes......

RC Champion
    I know it has been awhile, but I have been waiting on my interior for this car. Turns out it was delivered, and the UPS guy tucked it behind a piece of furniture against our house on the front porch. Being winter and all, we aren't out there very much, and he never did that before so I just assumed it was taking forever because of customs. With the warm weather my wife was out there moving some stuff and cleaning the windows and she found the package!
    It's a clear lexan interior for a Tamiya rally car so I figured it would at least be close. Fits perfectly. I'm going to use Tamiya model paint with a brush. I did get some done last night. I just painted all the parts that will be black and I also figured how it will mount. The front will be held in by the wiper screws and the rear I put holes in and it slips over the body posts. No need for glues or silicone or Velcro. I like it. Stay tuned for more updates!

I also picked up this set of helmets because the interior doesn't come with heads so it can be customized.

Just the bits of black done. I think the interior will be mostly titanium gray and the driver and co-pilot will be orange and blue with helmets that match the body.

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 03-11-2013 at 11:34 AM.

RC Racer
    That my friend is excellent work. You are an artist. I wish I had the time to do projects like this. Too much kid and wifey stuff. I get just enough time to fix what my son and I break.

You on the other create a custom masterpiece. Really good job.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Next perce View Post
    That my friend is excellent work. You are an artist. I wish I had the time to do projects like this. Too much kid and wifey stuff. I get just enough time to fix what my son and I break.

You on the other create a custom masterpiece. Really good job.
    +1 on that really great work your doin!
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!