RC Qualifier

does anyone break the I-bars often?

I just tore my front differential apart and the I bar came out in 2 pieces. it split right above where the pin goes through to connect the two spider gears. Does anyone here break them often? I need to get a replacement, but want to know if i should keep another in the toolbox for another breakage? I have had this truck for over a year now and have no had a problem with the front diff (other than a ring gear breaking from braking hard on a not so perfect jump). The rear diff on the other hand has had a talking to several times... but never an I-bar breaking

http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-5382X-.../dp/B000XQ3GJ8
    Here is what I am talking about.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

I haven't broken one in over three years.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    thats the least expected to break, i think the first thing to break would be the ring gear/pinion or the diff cup from doing standing backflips.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

I have broken everything except the I-bar including the diff case and cup.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys, that is exactly what i thought. I have no idea how the front one did it by any means, maybe another faulty manufacturing batch (i have been unlucky enough to have some of those...) but i think i will just replace this one. thank you guys, so much

I just don't buy much in the bad batch Idea, but I supose it is possible.
    That is quite something snapping the I bar.. gear prob locked it up real good.....
    hummm..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    yep, I think something locked up because it has been in there for at least a year with no problems at all.

Unfortunately these things happen some times when we least expect.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Yup. Broke one once. Now I just strip spider gears almost every run getting old fast replacing diffs all the time

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

Quote Originally Posted by guardog View Post
    Yup. Broke one once. Now I just strip spider gears almost every run getting old fast replacing diffs all the time
    Sounds like a good time to upgrade to the Losi diff
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    Sounds like a good time to upgrade to the Losi diff
    Would really like to just not sure how to. I have read your detailed post repeatedly along with others just not sure about modifying bulks

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Racer
    i haven't broke an i bar yet neither, broke a spider gear once when i had a dodgy landing and snapped a rear toe link, which stopped the suspect wheel sharpish against the arm and transferred the shock load through the diff, and i once took a tooth off the front diff ring gear from doing backflips (which i soon quit doing) but the i bar, no not yet anyway. good luck with whatever you end up doing mate.
    if you're not fast, you're last.

RC Qualifier
    thanks Kev, I am actually just going to replace this one for now. Once I can start working again, I will look for some lst2 diffs, but right now that is out of the question. This car is really getting expensive after the fire, and I find them after i make an order, and the hobbyshop only carries one part at a time. This is the longest that i have been at home and not driven for a very long time, because of all these broken part finds.

RC Racer
    i feel the same, been thinking about going the diff mod route but not keen. i have seen people wear them out and they are harder to swap out in the first place. and the ratios are different in the other diffs so would probably mean needing to change the gear ratios and experiment with how much speed we would either gain or lose until we find the sweet spot where the speed is the same again, and i dont like guess work lol! i've just shimmed my diffs and bought better bearings, if that fails to save parts i will get the new hard steel ring gear and give that a whirl before modding my whole chassis. a lot of people probably think i'm wasting time doing this but i wanna try all other options first. obviously this won't help you on the i bar but i think that will happen quite rarely tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Money pit View Post
    thanks Kev, I am actually just going to replace this one for now. Once I can start working again, I will look for some lst2 diffs, but right now that is out of the question. This car is really getting expensive after the fire, and I find them after i make an order, and the hobbyshop only carries one part at a time. This is the longest that i have been at home and not driven for a very long time, because of all these broken part finds.

This car is really getting expensive after the fire,
    FIRE?!? Did I miss somthing?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

He's truck burnt down a while back...you can have a look at his thread Up in flames
    Rock n Rolla !

Oh, duh. I remember reading that thread. Thanks!

No worries mate...
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    my truck went up in flames when i first had mine, apparently the first versions of mmm were quite faulty.... mine went up on 6000mah 6s it was quite spectacular......

RC Qualifier
    I went with aluminium diff cup instead and I haven't broken a diff since. I also only run 5s.
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

Quote Originally Posted by OnebadTMAXX3.3 View Post
    I went with aluminium diff cup instead and I haven't broken a diff since. I also only run 5s.
    I am doing this in my next build...using the HR diff cup. I only plan on running 4s .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kevfrostbite View Post
    my truck went up in flames when i first had mine, apparently the first versions of mmm were quite faulty.... mine went up on 6000mah 6s it was quite spectacular......
    I was close to yours. 4000mah 6s. I only run up to 5s now. 6s was really hard on the esc, especially in the heat.

Sorry for off topic post, but when I saw Money pit's signiture, my only thought was "Oh crap, I forgot to set a recording for the new Mythbuster's episode!" P.S I live, breath, and LOVE Mythbusters.

RC Qualifier
    i recently shredded my diff...didn't break the i-beam or any of the spider gear...just the pinion and large dohickeythingy gear...currently got the HR housing and robinson racing gear...so far it's holding...gonna wait till it breaks and then will do the losi diff mod...hopefully that won't be any time soon...

just got another car and wifey isn't too happy with yet another money pit...ha ha...i've noticed that she too is starting to do a lot of online shopping to perhaps make me realize that she too can spend money?...ha ha...

RC Racer
    mine never over heats?, i use quality lipos, now running 5000mah 6s traxxas lipos and another set (which i'm not mentioning as i would get infractions) and the esc stays cool even under harsh conditions and racing, i hardly ever hear the fan coming on. been using this esc on 6s for a year now and no trouble. traxxas say minimum 5000mah to supply the esc or it will over heat and or cause damage. i've had lengthy conversations via email with traxxas support and castle. the time my 1st esc went up they said it was the lipos not powerful enough to supply the mmm with enough current and thats apparently what caused the fire. (i bought some no name batts off ebay) 6000mah 50-100c 3s2p but traxxas and castle said to get better lipos, i did, and no trouble since. a few other very informative peeps on here also advised me the same. it might be coincidence but the two companies seemed sure it was my lipos that were over rated. my mate lee the mad scientist says its whats called a brownout, basically this can also be observed with the mains supply. simplified, the current supply collapses, due to not being available, the voltage rises to compensate, causing harmful/damaging spikes and dips which usually results in the failure of most semiconductors. good luck with whatever you do mate
    I was close to yours. 4000mah 6s. I only run up to 5s now. 6s was really hard on the esc, especially in the heat.
    Last edited by kevfrostbite; 10-26-2012 at 03:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kevfrostbite View Post
    mine never over heats?, i use quality lipos, now running 5000mah 6s traxxas lipos and another set (which i'm not mentioning as i would get infractions) and the esc stays cool even under harsh conditions and racing, i hardly ever hear the fan coming on. been using this esc on 6s for a year now and no trouble. traxxas say minimum 5000mah to supply the esc or it will over heat and or cause damage. i've had lengthy conversations via email with traxxas support and castle. the time my 1st esc went up they said it was the lipos not powerful enough to supply the mmm with enough current and thats apparently what caused the fire. (i bought some no name batts off ebay) 6000mah 50-100c 3s2p but traxxas and castle said to get better lipos, i did, and no trouble since. a few other very informative peeps on here also advised me the same. it might be coincidence but the two companies seemed sure it was my lipos that were over rated. my mate lee the mad scientist says its whats called a brownout, basically this can also be observed with the mains supply. simplified, the current supply collapses, due to not being available, the voltage rises to compensate, causing harmful/damaging spikes and dips which usually results in the failure of most semiconductors. good luck with whatever you do mate
    Yep, ebay batteries could definitely have caused that. traxxas says you need 5000mah with 25c batteries, and i had 40-80c batteries. Ebay batteries are mislabeled and made up numbers to sound good, but they have no quality. I now have 6000 mah 25-50 (6.0 battery, can't say the name but you can find what brand) so there is plenty of power and runtime available at any time i need it

RC Qualifier
    I had one crack clean in half. Didn't bend the shaft but the gears were toast.

I would love to see better gears in these things.

RC Racer
    yeah i can guess what brand they are. lol, i got some 5.0 35-70c 5000 of the same brand. the ebay batteries were rated the 6000 mah, 50 - 100c i still have them and my dad runs them in his boat, they last for over an hour so aren't that bad. but i don't believe i can trust the ratings so i dont use em. especially after they could have been what killed my old mamba. but on the other hand i've seen other peeps' esc's going up in flames with decent branded batteries so it could have been a faulty esc. quite a few peeps i know had the problem but theres that many different things that can cause it i just keep to good lipos and keep on the safe side!!
    Yep, ebay batteries could definitely have caused that. traxxas says you need 5000mah with 25c batteries, and i had 40-80c batteries. Ebay batteries are mislabeled and made up numbers to sound good, but they have no quality. I now have 6000 mah 25-50 (6.0 battery, can't say the name but you can find what brand) so there is plenty of power and runtime available at any time i need it