RC Qualifier

Boat leans to the right

Is it Normal for the boat to lean to the right under acceleration? Any ides on how can I get it straight?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i have experience this on mine and it turns out to be my steering trim tab is not centered.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    It's normal. In light boats with a lot of power, instead of the prop rotating, the rest of the boat tries to rotate. You could run a little more right tab or deal with it.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

now that i think about it mine turns left actually lol, i was looking at it running towards me and yes it was my trim tab that causes it to go left.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    It's normal. In light boats with a lot of power, instead of the prop rotating, the rest of the boat tries to rotate. You could run a little more right tab or deal with it.
    What do you mean by running more right tab? Are you talking about the trim tabs on the back of the boat? Does the right tab need to be lower than the left?

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    now that i think about it mine turns left actually lol, i was looking at it running towards me and yes it was my steering trim that causes it to go left.
    edit post: i meant to say steering trim, lol. i need my coffee

RC Competitor
    Sounds like Torque roll ive been told that you have too run both batterys on the other opposite side of the roll ive not tryed this yet and mines still from the last barrel roll and flexi snap

RC Champion
    You could try weight balance like Pvtspoon says... but I wouldn't put both batteries on one side. If I was playing with weight balance, I'd add some kind of weights (maybe wheel weights?) to the left side and increase the weight until it runs about level. The easiest and most effective way to correct the torque roll is to bend the trim tab (flat shiny things that come off just about horizontal with the bottom of the boat) on the starboard (right... looking from the back to the front) side down just a little bit. Progressively bend that down until the boat runs level. This is made easier with the trim tab adjusters because it's much more presice and easier to turn a bolt than bend the tab with pliers. The only downside of using the trim tabs is that they will slow you down a little bit. I have to deal with this problem in my 1:1 boat that weighs 3000 pounds and has 900 horsepower lol. Lots of power in a little boat causes massive torque roll... no matter the scale.

RC Qualifier
    It is actually pretty common to run both batteries on one side of the boat to help counter torque roll on an rc boat. Or shift your battery weight to one side if running a single battery.

It is a trial and error thing, running both batts on one side can affect your steering response.

hog

RC Qualifier
    I have been trying to use up my stock props before going back to my Octura x442. I finally switched over after the last of my stock props busted last week. Now when running with the x442, the roll to the right under WOT was much more noticeable, so it sounds like I will also take the advice given here and add some more down trim to the right tab to counter the roll. If that doesnt work, I'll try something else. As mentioned here, its alot of trial and error!

RC Champion
    I don't know about you guys but I find that even though I put the batteies in the same spot in my Spartan boats, the amount of torque roll I experience varys from time to time. It isn't a big issue for me anymore as I just have to use a little more of (steer to the left) when it becomes an issue. I also run the hull a little wetter and the strut tilted back a couple of degrees which also seems to help with tighter turns at slower speeds (30 or so mph) but have to be careful at speeds of 50 plus.

I know most of it is due to the light weight of the Spartan compaired to one of my other V hull boats which is fiberglass.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Moving both of my batteries to one side did the trick!! The boat is a lot more balance

RC Champion
    That's great! I'm glad it worked for you. The only reason I suggested adding weights is because I know someone who tried the battery thing and it was too much.