RC Racer

Question Bending Stuffing Tube to match angle of the Stock Stuffing tube.

Upgrading to a .187 driveline, was wondering what's the angle, or degree of bend the stuffing tube has from the factory for the Spartan, as the tube nears the transom? I also need to know its placement, but really more importantly is the degree of the angle, how far forward of the transom or backward of the motor do I begin bending? How have you all bent your stuffing tubes without kinking the tubes? I see people running no bending (seems prone to line breakage, due to a radical change in angle the line must make when coming out of the transom and into the strut - just a thought - may not be reality), a full bend from the motor to the transom (may increase overall friction I feel on the liner, and thus more heat and wear), I want to duplicate what Traxxas did.

Much appreciated.

John

RC Qualifier
    Don't have a stuffing tube here to measure, but I would guesstimate the stock tube starts to bend about 2/3 the way down the tube from the motor end.

The brass tube is easy enough to bend just by shaping it carefully by hand for the small amount of bend required on the Spartan.

hog

hog

RC Champion
    It's actually closer to one third of the way down the tube from the motor end. It's almost exactly 1/3rd of the way down. As for the angle... I have no way of measuring that.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    As you remove the stock tube, put it in a flat surface then that's the thing you could figure where is the bend go, what I did was duplicate the stock tube, I did not measure anything, just do it slowly bend then compare bend then compare and so on. You should be careful with it, good luck!
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Racer
    Yeh, but does this bending allow the tube to remain circular through out the entire tube including the bend, or is their potential for ovalling or kinking the tube? I want it mandrel bent style so i purchased a tube bender to bend the tube, however, i have no experience with bending tube, so i will purchase some additional brass tubing to test. If the tube becomes oval where the bend is, this could cause a lot of excessive wear and thus heat, i want to really try to get it dead on perfect. Wish me luck. Oh wait now i need a cutter too. BTW: I am moving to a SS tube to add more weight in the center bottom of the boat to see if this helps at all with stability. The difference, as i am sure you all know between the brass tube and the SS tube (both are the same sizes) is night and day. If I don't like it i will switch back to brass. I will let you all know the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgemoulic View Post
    As you remove the stock tube, put it in a flat surface then that's the thing you could figure where is the bend go, what I did was duplicate the stock tube, I did not measure anything, just do it slowly bend then compare bend then compare and so on. You should be careful with it, good luck!

RC Champion
    The bend in the tubing is so very little that there will be no noticeable shape (ovalling) change of the tubing.
    I would just compaire the new tube to the stock one on a flat surface (as stated above) mark where the bend needs to be on the new tube and then just bend the tube over your knee and there ya have it....

A tubing bender is not required for this task...JMO..

A small tubing cutter can be used to cut the tubing to size but that will compress the tubing some and you will most likely need to ream out the end where the cut was made to resize the tube.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    I firgured as much, that any cutting done to the tube would in some way deform the shape of the tube at that end. I have an idea tho, what about taking the tube, and using the liner and flex cable to bend the tube would help the tube from ovalling - no matter how little- does this sound like a good idea? The liner and flex cable would be within the tubing as I make the bend.
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    The bend in the tubing is so very little that there will be no noticeable shape (ovalling) change of the tubing.
    I would just compaire the new tube to the stock one on a flat surface (as stated above) mark where the bend needs to be on the new tube and then just bend the tube over your knee and there ya have it....

A tubing bender is not required for this task...JMO..

A small tubing cutter can be used to cut the tubing to size but that will compress the tubing some and you will most likely need to ream out the end where the cut was made to resize the tube.

RC Champion
    I don't think it's necessary and only risks damaging the flex cable. I wouldn't if I were you.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC poster
    I have ordered AER-1902 Aeromarine Stuffing Tube with Teflon - .187X18 also for my boat, and will be getting Jeffs .187 drive cable to match, I've seen that this works on other tube bending methods, remove your liner, pack the brass tube with fine sand, bend slowly as required, should be no kinking!
    Last edited by yaleman; 10-24-2012 at 09:45 PM.