RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

This is actually peaking my interest in RC again

As many may have noticed... I havent been around much. My interest in RC goes through ups and downs. It always has. This time ive been smart enough NOT to sell off ALL my gear and vehicles... the tide will turn and ill be back just as big as last time. But for now, a young daughter, another on the way, house for sale and tons of work have just occupied too much of my time.

BUT... I check back here from time to time. Somehow I must have missed the release of this new car. Im always toying around with on-road cars. But I never seem to settle on anything. Even my Revo GT wasnt enough to peak my interest. I think it was simply because it was so limited to onroad. I always like my 1/16 Rallys... ive had about 15 of them. But their size really limited how much I could use them around here. Pavement is always dirty...

Now, a 1/10 rally... thats interesting. On/off road, fast, common parts, long travel, cool looks. Im sure with a set of street tires it would be a great drifter also. I like that the major components are all proven parts so you know it will work out of the box.

Im going to keep my eye on these things. Ill be in michigan at the end of the month. If they are released and availiable by then I may just pick one up... blue/white of course.

Somehow traxxas is always doing something new that keeps bringing me back for more. How do you do that Traxxas...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Ah man nice to hear from you Pave! I thought of you when this came out, I too have changed some thinking on RC as I went back to my love for nature photography and dropped big $$ into a lens but..............................I still want to play!

This makes sense for me, lots of traction over the 2WD I had, LCG for handling, on/off road capability and already for even more power to get silly fast Been doing some airbrushing too so there should be some cool bodies to come out for this soon.
    Suspension sound neat with the long travel and LCG chassis, simple driveline, very efficient sounding set up!!

RC Qualifier
    Pave nailed it as far as the on road dilemma I have always felt the same way. wanted an on road but always felt I would get bored too soon. This is the ticket and very likely I will have one in a few months. I don't think I will get in a big rush (famous last words) but I might see what the other guys with more money than me do with theirs so I can get ideas for what to do with mine lol.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Champion
    Pave- Nice to hear from you. How's the weather up there? Snow yet? I have plans on picking one of these up myself, but I will have to wait until February to get one. The JConcepts G-Locs on the Relux rims would look nice, but I'm thinking there would be body rubbing issues. Unless they make rims that are a direct replacement for the stock Rally rims.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

^^^ The great thing is, there are many suspension arms that will give different track widths to get the tires under the body.

Pave, I knew you were gonna get sucked in lol!
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

Hehe... Yeah, it never went away... Just settled down a bit. I've got 3 trucks... All in need of work. Hopefully after my busy season cools down a bit I can get back to it. This car may be the project I need to get excited.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

That is funny. When I saw this car I actually thought "Haven't seen pavmentsurfer around lately. Might be just a car for him".

I know that feeling of varying interest in R/C stuff. I have the same, it just doesn't vary that much.
    Nobody is born with experience.

Im waiting to see the inevitable comparison between the HPI WR8 Flux and this new offering from Traxxas.
    As of right now i am really torn between the 2. (and of course torn whether i unload something to buy a new car or just add to the fleet)
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    I would think the HPI is too small, the traxxas wins that comparison. In terms of size and ability, I would think the thunder tiger mini is a better comparison. Those are the two I'm torn between.

RC Qualifier
    I think the Traxxas benefits from ultimately being a SCT with a rally body. That gives it a huge head start if this is going to become a class in its own right. It means that automatically there's a whole lot of race grade chassis out there...

What I am most looking forward to is a proper scale body for it, I'm not too keen on the stock shape. I'd really like something that properly replicates a real life rally car.

I cant imagine it will be long before Proline steps up with some bodies. Took about a year with the 1/16 Rally.

In my experience, Traxxas always wins when it comes to simple, long lasting, high performance RC vehicles. Maybe its not based on a buggy chassis and therefore may not end up the most competitive if this ever becomes a proper race class. But in terns of long lasting durability... traxxas is what I buy.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
    I would think the HPI is too small, the traxxas wins that comparison. In terms of size and ability, I would think the thunder tiger mini is a better comparison. Those are the two I'm torn between.
    Hpi, lists the flux as 1/8 scale? How much smaller is it than the Traxxas 1/8 (yah I said it, its no where near a 1/10 scale rally car) rally?
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

Heres the specs, the HPI 1/8 is a very small 1/8 Jangs video put a 1/10 sedan body on it and it wasnt much bigger.

HPI WR8 Flux
    Specifications:
    Length: 485mm
    Width: 227mm
    Height: 172mm
    Wheelbase: 300mm

True Traxxas Fashion, this 1/10 is HUGE!!

Traxxas Rally
    Specifications:
    Length: 21.7 Inches (552mm)
    Front Track: 11.7 Inches (297mm)
    Rear Track: 11.7 Inches (297mm)
    Height (overall): 8.1 Inches (206mm)
    Wheelbase: 12.8 Inches (324mm)

Specs jacked from Amains product pages.

Traxxas dimensions are almost identical to my Ofna GTP2e as far as WB and length/width so its is a BIG darn car. Cant wait.
    Last edited by Cameron; 10-17-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Aaaaaannnnnddddd.... I bought one. Crap.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Aaaaaannnnnddddd.... I bought one. Crap.
    Just noticed your thread about how your getting one. Nice choice!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Tower is the only place i can even find these in stock. (of shops i looked at) not one i can think of has them in Canada yet either. I'm kinda jelly im seeing unboxing pics already when my LHS doesn't even have this guy on their website yet lol.

I bought mine from tower... got the $50 discount, would have cost $35 to ship to canada so in the end, youd still pay less than buying from an LHS. I bet they retail in canada for over $500... probably around $550.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Yup, even with paying shipping, and sometimes I even get nailed with customs. Seems to be random, sometime they get you and sometimes they don't. That being said it's still cheaper than any LHS I have ever come accross in Canada. Most of them want 300+ that I have been in just for a XL-5 p2de.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Mine will be here Monday. I'll add a few favorite stickers including some nice DirtTrax ones and it will be ready for the maiden run.
    Last edited by Jakey; 10-20-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I bought mine from tower... got the $50 discount, would have cost $35 to ship to canada so in the end, youd still pay less than buying from an LHS. I bet they retail in Canada for over $500... probably around $550.
    No real reason for that. i have yet to see a big markup on anything Traxxas up here compared to prices in the US.
    In some cases i have seen cheaper listed pricing on the RTR's at Great Hobbies than at Amain.
    They are priced as $434 at Amain, I'm expecting them to be no more than that at Great Hobbies when they finally list them.

RC Champion
    Man, don't get me started on that Hobby Shop, never again is all I have to say. That's just my personal experience.

lol amain or great hobbies? personally i love them both. If i dont buy stuff from ebay that is lol.

RC Champion
    Great Hobbies, and in no way shape or form am I trying to steer anyone away from them. They are HUGE and have tons of happy customers, but my experiences were not good at all.

I have heard that from a few people, i love them. Never had any issues with them. My issues are with another LHS here in Edmonton that i refuse to even step foot in as a result of the terrible attitude/service i have received there in the past. Hobby Wholesale will never see a penny from me again.

I dont mind great hobbies prices, as you said, they are competitive. But you still have to pay tax %13 for me) and they have really high shipping to Ontario. For some reason their online store (last time I looked anyway) doesn't tell you what shipping will be. They charge it after without really telling you. Silly policy. I've found all I need on ebay, tower, Amain or liquid. But I like that tower has $15 shipping in most medium size parcels... Not too hard to swallow. I usually take advantage of their free shipping in the US whenever I travel (which is often). I just bring the stuff back with me. Which is what I'm doing with this rally.

So, Jakey, DT stickers eh... Where did you get those?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ... So, Jakey, DT stickers eh... Where did you get those?
    Someone I know from Canada sent me some last Summer, I think it was the same guy who nearly broke my back when taking me for a "ride" over the 70' table top while in an Arctic Cat SxS.
    I placed a few of the DT stickers on my KTM and the remainder are still looking for a good home.

Did you know we ALMOST had traxxas as a sponsor of the show last season. I keep trying to get my sales guy to work on it... I think a special edition DT Rally would be pretty cool.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I dont mind great hobbies prices, as you said, they are competitive. But you still have to pay tax %13 for me) and they have really high shipping to Ontario. For some reason their online store (last time I looked anyway) doesn't tell you what shipping will be. They charge it after without really telling you. Silly policy. I've found all I need on ebay, tower, Amain or liquid. But I like that tower has $15 shipping in most medium size parcels... Not too hard to swallow. I usually take advantage of their free shipping in the US whenever I travel (which is often). I just bring the stuff back with me. Which is what I'm doing with this rally.

So, Jakey, DT stickers eh... Where did you get those?
    I'm lucky, i can hit a baseball from the front door at work to Great Hobbies. So i don't have to worry about shipping. And we only pay 5% GST out here.