RC Racer

Slash 4x4 Gearing Setup question 1410 3800kv motor

So I have the castle MMP SCT edition esc and the 1410 3800kv motor in my slash 4x4. I am trying to see what is a good gearing for racing on tracks with the center diff installed on 2s Lipo. Also if you have a setup for the castle programing, like the graph curves or other information on it. Thanks!!!
    Slash Ultimate
    TLR SCTE 2.0

RC Champion
    You dont want to go any higher than 15/54 on the gearing.
    The 1410 motor is marginal for a 4x4 on 2s, 3s is out of the quesiton.
    Watch your temps on the motor!

RC Racer
    I have 13/54 now i believe. My motor got to maybe 120F. runing for quite awhile like 30+mins on track.
    Slash Ultimate
    TLR SCTE 2.0

RC Champion
    Try bumping it up to 15 and see what you get. I ran one on 2s up to 16/54 and with the fan it got pretty warm, 165-170 range with an 80F ambient. Didnt push past that and rested it in between packs.

RC Qualifier
    i run 17/54 but we only have 6 min heats with a 10 min main im running a thick center diff oil as well

RC Competitor
    I use to 17/54 and I ran a 15/52 ... I bashed all the time took some speed runs but they only trouble I had out of it was breaking drive train parts. I had a motor and esc fan, never had any temp problems.

RC Racer
    Thanks For Replies!
    Slash Ultimate
    TLR SCTE 2.0

RC Competitor
    i got mine 15-54 for the track but i ran as high as 17-54 in the heat outside temps arounf 155

RC Qualifier
    I run 16/54 without issue, both on race day and practice day. but i am using the ssc chassis so it acts like a big heat sink
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC poster
    I run a 14/54 combo with a 5000 may 3s and to be honest it does not seem to have any heat issues, temps between 160-170 at all time. I run Trenchers 2.8 too. Everybody seem to say that 3s are out of the picture but on the manual it says both ESC and engine can handle a 3s on proper gearing....the only question is....what's a proper gearing combo for track racing?
    Also, I do agree that the 3800 is marginal when compared with the Velineon, especially when ran on a 2s...I was quite disappointed at first and if I could only run a 2s I'd switch it back to the Velineon engine and I'd keep the MMP Esc. So Would the 2400 be a lot faster on a 3s?

RC Racer
    I had the 2400 in my slash 4x4 for a bit and on 3 s that thing was a beast.
    Slash Ultimate
    TLR SCTE 2.0

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxtor View Post
    I run a 14/54 combo with a 5000 may 3s and to be honest it does not seem to have any heat issues, temps between 160-170 at all time. I run Trenchers 2.8 too. Everybody seem to say that 3s are out of the picture but on the manual it says both ESC and engine can handle a 3s on proper gearing....the only question is....what's a proper gearing combo for track racing?
    Also, I do agree that the 3800 is marginal when compared with the Velineon, especially when ran on a 2s...I was quite disappointed at first and if I could only run a 2s I'd switch it back to the Velineon engine and I'd keep the MMP Esc. So Would the 2400 be a lot faster on a 3s?
    So you would take a 3500kv 2 pole motor over a 3800kv 4 pole? Just curious as to why, as on 2s only I would think the 4 pole higher kv would be a faster motor all around.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

RC Champion
    The 3800 would have a higher top speed, and slightly less acceleration. But in my experience the 4 pole motor was just as fast off the line as the 2 pole vxl motor. You can gear the 3800 lower than the vxl and still get better performance. 170 is to high, it will eventually fail running those temp's constantly.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Champion
    Uhhhhhh What?

4 pole design has 40% more torque than a 2 pole making it far faster off the line if you can keep the nose down and good traction. If all is equal in the motor windings (which they are not) a 2 pole motor would turn twice as fast at a given output from the ESC. The windings in the motors are compensated for a given kV range. The 4 pole gets pulsed 4 times per revolution which is where the overwhelming increase in torque comes from which also increases efficiency.

The big difference between the two motors in quesion is the design purpose. The Castle 1410 3800 kV was designed for use in a 2WD SC truck, not a 4WD. The velineon was designed for the 4WD. Its all about the load and what watt rating the motors are capable of producing.

If you really want to kick it up a notch ditch both of these. The 2400 will run them both in the ground, a 2650 will kick it up another notch and a 2200 is just plain ludicrous. Keep in mind that you have to change gearing to keep the final output in line as you are dropping in motor kV so it has to be made up in the pinion/spur gear choice or by volting up with more cells. Once you pass the 2400 fans on the motors are a thing of the past. Just not needed. Im running a Tekin RX8/T8 2650 combo on 3s geared 23/50 and I guarantee it will run both of these combos in the ground and never pass 120F on the motor doing it.

RC Qualifier
    are you guys talking 1/10 scale or 1/8 scale? just curious

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Uhhhhhh What?

4 pole design has 40% more torque than a 2 pole making it far faster off the line if you can keep the nose down and good traction. If all is equal in the motor windings (which they are not) a 2 pole motor would turn twice as fast at a given output from the ESC. The windings in the motors are compensated for a given kV range. The 4 pole gets pulsed 4 times per revolution which is where the overwhelming increase in torque comes from which also increases efficiency.

The big difference between the two motors in quesion is the design purpose. The Castle 1410 3800 kV was designed for use in a 2WD SC truck, not a 4WD. The velineon was designed for the 4WD. Its all about the load and what watt rating the motors are capable of producing.

If you really want to kick it up a notch ditch both of these. The 2400 will run them both in the ground, a 2650 will kick it up another notch and a 2200 is just plain ludicrous. Keep in mind that you have to change gearing to keep the final output in line as you are dropping in motor kV so it has to be made up in the pinion/spur gear choice or by volting up with more cells. Once you pass the 2400 fans on the motors are a thing of the past. Just not needed. Im running a Tekin RX8/T8 2650 combo on 3s geared 23/50 and I guarantee it will run both of these combos in the ground and never pass 120F on the motor doing it.
    I agree with you except for the fact that you have the uses of the motors backwards. the vxl motor was made for a 2wd truck. in fact it was like 3 or 4 years until that motor went into a 4x4 truck. and the castle was specifically designed for the 4x4 sct class. and they say its for insane 2wd power.

the whole point of a 4 pole motor is torque, so to say it doesnt have the same torque as a vxl is wrong. i have both motors and the vxl is great in a 2wd, but i cant gear it high enough without heat issues in my 4x4. and i love the bottom end torque from the castle motor, it helps when going to double or triple jumps.

i run 16/54 on mine on 2s and the motor hits 145F after 6 min on a track. I use the MMP with it so i have no temp issues there. i also have the timing set to 0 so that does drop the temp a bit.

ive also tried a friends castle 2400kv motor on 3s in mine and it was way over kill. the was no way you could use all of the power unless you were on a LARGE 1/8th scale track. but i would like to have a motor like that for bashing.

RC Qualifier
    So for 2s, what would be the general recommendation for a motor?
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

RC Racer
    on 2s i would recommend the castle 1410y 3800kv motor.

on 3s the larger 2400kv castle sct motor or a tekin 4.5, 5.5, 6.5 550 size motor, or any other 550 size motor for that matter