RC Competitor

Roller Slayer Chassis

I do not currently have a slayer pro but i do have electric 4x4 stampede. I like my pede a lot but most my friends run nitro, so i was wondering if i got a slayer roller chassis what would be upgrades to do it. Things like suspension, engines, differentials, just any upgrade really. Cost is sort of an issue im a college student so i can get the money but it may take a while so i know the engines and stuff its really you get what you pay for but i know some suspension stuff and axle shafts things like that the more expensive option isn't always better. Any input would be appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    Sway bars are a must. Suspension and differentials are great stock. Even driveshafts work great on this truck. Alot of people rave about big block engines but if you are new to nitro better to stay away and get a TRX 3.3 to start. Make sure you go through proper break in procedure and it will last awhile with great power. Tire upgrades are not a must but help alot as far as traction goes. Some people like wider hubs and stiffer springs in the back to make the truck more stable, it works but not a must have. Upgraded radios help alot also.

The Slayer is a great truck, and it's lots of fun! You may have noticed that there aren't to many upgrades for the Slayer, but, that's a good thing because that means there isn't much room for improvement, also meaning the Slayer is well built. Of the very few upgrades you can get for the Slayer, a few of them are must haves. The sway bars, 5998 is must because it really helps to not flip it and makes it alot more stable. I would get better tires, but that's up to you if you want. The stock tires are good, but there are better tires out there. In terms of nitro, yes, the Slayer has it's share of bad tunes and other typical common nitro problems, but once you get it tuned, it's a BEAST! I've really enjoyed mine, and I'm still driving and bashing it every day even though I got it 6 months ago. If you have any more questions, just ask! Where here to help! Hope this helps!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwdriver View Post
    Sway bars are a must. Suspension and differentials are great stock. Even driveshafts work great on this truck. Alot of people rave about big block engines but if you are new to nitro better to stay away and get a TRX 3.3 to start. Make sure you go through proper break in procedure and it will last awhile with great power. Tire upgrades are not a must but help alot as far as traction goes. Some people like wider hubs and stiffer springs in the back to make the truck more stable, it works but not a must have. Upgraded radios help alot also.
    I'm not to worried about control but will the 3.3 be enough?? most the people i meet at the rc track that run nitro in any kind of truck have bigger engines not all are big blocks but they are bigger and I just don't want to be left in the dust

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    dont under estimate the 3.3, once its broken in and tuned well it can outrun any BB out in the track. the key of winning is how good you can drive your revo. sometimes having too much power is not always the winner
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ITh4n4tosI View Post
    I'm not to worried about control but will the 3.3 be enough?? most the people i meet at the rc track that run nitro in any kind of truck have bigger engines not all are big blocks but they are bigger and I just don't want to be left in the dust
    any good upgrades that can be done to that 3.3 like exhaust or such. I haven't really messed with any nitro stuff just like to get all the information before i go in

A Buku clutch, or a THS exhaust pipe will give you more power, and acceleration. But, be warned. They both cost a lot, but they will help a lot to give you the most out of your 3.3. Good luck!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i'm in the process of building a E-Slayer GT base on the slayer chassis. a good friend of mine here nice enough to give me his tekno electric conversion along with the 4s lipo.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Competitor
    There is another thread posted on this forum too, about the carburetor. I recommend looking over it, very good information on how to get more power out of the 3.3 using a larger carb. I have not seen the a slayer with a BB on it yet, but on that forum some slayer owners with different carb's claim to keep up with BB nitro's. Possibly a cheaper alternative to BB for the slayer, sticking to bolt on upgrades. Personally I feel the stock springs are too soft on the slayer pro also, along with the excessive body roll. I plan to get the sway bars and upgrade my springs. I have not decided yet about the carb, but It was definitely enough information to look into.

RC Champion
    This is for the older slayer, but its got good information:
    http://traxxas.com/pitpass/howto/new...p-Tuning-Guide

Here is a Base set up sheet for the stock slayer pro - few years old but again, its a good product
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...up-slayden.pdf

RC Qualifier
    I run a THS exhaust on my slayer pro and it's amazing! got mine kinda cheap 45 bucks up at my LHS.

RC Competitor
    thanks for all the information one quick last question though. Would it be cheaper to buy a new one and do this stuff to it or to buy an individual chassis and add the engine and all that. As a side note I can get traxxas parts including full vehicles at about 15% above dealer cost max, depending how i pay i can get it at 10% above dealer cost

RC Competitor
    I would say buy the slayer pro. Personally I just got one, and they come with many hop ups already on, such as the hardened aluminum shocks with tin rods and the upgraded exhaust. Especially if you are sticking with mostly traxxas parts. If you were going with a different set up, than you would want the chasis and build, but since your sticking with mostly traxxas, the RTR is a great pricing option.