RC Champion

Lipo help please

I am on the fence. I run the traxxas 9.6 nimh now but am considering lipo. I have done a TON of research and read enough about maintenance and mostly FIRE I don't know if I want to go there. Don't get me wrong I know there are a ton of (no problem) lipos in use but with all the talk of puffing and fire I am having my doubts if they are for me. I have read informative threads that claim a crash could make a lipo puff or catch on fire and I do that a lot.

Most of the videos you see are of idiots deliberately causing the lipos to start on fire. The batteries are not fragile though they should be handled with care and some precautions should be made. If they really were that dangerous I'm pretty sure the general public would avoid having them in their vehicles.
    The Super Derecho

taking care of the batts, & under proper use, you will not have any prob..............
    not always but some of the time it is operater error......causing the prob......
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    I am on the fence. I run the traxxas 9.6 nimh now but am considering lipo. I have done a TON of research and read enough about maintenance and mostly FIRE I don't know if I want to go there. Don't get me wrong I know there are a ton of (no problem) lipos in use but with all the talk of puffing and fire I am having my doubts if they are for me. I have read informative threads that claim a crash could make a lipo puff or catch on fire and I do that a lot.
    I to had your feeling , I also was running the 9.6v and finely went to a 11.1v lipo hv had it now for about 1-1/2 Months now and I don't think i'll go back to nimh . I to seen all the videos on the puffing an catching fire , All I can till you is my lipo does not get warm when charging and does not get hot after a run . I'm running 21/86 gears . I love my lipo it's a SPC 3s 25c 5000 mah . This is jmo . My charger is a 245 Onyx . Hope the helps .
    Last edited by rhardy60; 10-28-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Champion
    Finally (due to work) Ran my first lipo today. WOW I don't know why I waited sooo long to switch I will never go back.

RC Racer
    Welcome to the club!
    2012 Frankenpede
    2008 Stampede VXL