Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Lightbulb How-To: Minimize Steering Components Rubbing on Driveshaft

This should get rid of 99% of any rubbing. This How-To only applies to the stock steering components, stock servo and stock servo horn. It may work with other components, but no guarantees.

1. Make sure all steering adjustments on your radio are in the center and your steering has been calibrated, if your radio allows.

2. With the truck/radio turned on, flip it over and the front wheels should be to the top, remove the servo horn and put it back on so it is facing one tooth to the left or towards the outside of the truck.

3. Now test for any rubbing in both directions.

4. Adjust drag link length larger or smaller (I can't remember), until you have little to no rubbing in both directions.

5. Your steering centering will be off a little. Adjust this using the trim on your radio.

6. You have to find the balance between steps 4 and 5, so you may have to repeat.

7. To make sure you have full, equal steering, turn the wheel to the left and see how close your tire gets to the shock guard, now do the same for the opposite direction. With Trenchers, the tires should almost touch the guard. If it's not equal on both sides, repeat steps 4 and 5.

This process takes patience, so don't give up. You should now have little to no rubbing while retaining full steering. Here are a couple of videos to show my setup. Sorry for shooting portrait but it was easier to hold the camera this way, just watch them full screen.

RC Qualifier
    << 2. With the truck/radio turned on, flip it over and the front wheels should be to the top, remove the servo horn and put it back on so it is facing one tooth to the left or towards the outside of the truck.>>

Why do you set the servo horn 1 tooth to the left instead of centered?

RC Qualifier
    It doesn't seem to make sense, right? When the servo horn is centered, it hits the raised part of the chassis when you turn. Moving it to the left prevents it from making contact. Then you lengthen the drag link to make up for moving the horn. This pushes the bellcrank horn out to the right, helping to regain center. Pushing the bellcrank horn to the right helps it avoid making contact with the shaft. doing all of this does affect straight-line tracking a bit, so then you adjust steering trim on the radio.

Steering is complicated because it is made up of many components and adjusting one affects all of the others. I just sat one night and played with it until I found the right combination. It was like doing a puzzle. The rubbing doesn't really affect the steering, but it bothered me and I know it bothers others.

RC Competitor
    Hey thanks !!
    For some reason it bothers me and I know the constant rubbing/hitting will fatigue the parts till they break.

I'll give this a try.

RC Competitor
    Just got my Pede and saw this. I have only ran it twice and saw the rubbing on the drive shaft. I called up Traxxas support and they told to me set the steering stop points in via the trasmitter / receiver. Worked good for me....

RC Qualifier
    That is definitely the easy way, but you just reduced your steering. Not sure why you would want to do that, but if it works for you, then that is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by brian.cline View Post
    Just got my Pede and saw this. I have only ran it twice and saw the rubbing on the drive shaft. I called up Traxxas support and they told to me set the steering stop points in via the trasmitter / receiver. Worked good for me....