RC Enthusiast

Torquemaster esc

I got a torquemaster to try out in my Summit. But this esc just has one set of battery wires. What do I need to do to it to run two batteries?

RC Qualifier
    well it sounds like thats all you can run.
    what's up guys

It depends on how much voltage it can take.may need to make a series harness

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    careful....if you have one set of wires, its possible the ESC is limited to a 3s lipo 11.1v or 8 cell Nimh. If this is the case, you'll need a parallel connector. this will only give you 8.4v (if youre using the stock batteries). this will surely not be enough voltage for this vehicle as the stock voltage is 16.8v.

IF the ESC you have will handle more voltage, you'll be able to use the series connector that will double your voltage OR take the battery connector apart and build a series set up similar to the MAMBA system on the E-Revo and E-Maxx brushless systems.

RC Enthusiast
    It can handle 2 to 6s. And I think it's 80amps. I'm going to run in with dewalt 14.4 on 2x2s lipos.

RC Champion
    cool, you can just use a series connector. Traxxas makes one (#3063) or you ca build one rather simply.

http://traxxas.com/gallery/Accessori...ess-Connectors

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    80amp??
    Please, correct me if I am mistaken, but isn't that a rather small ESC for a Summit?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    according to traxxas, the 80 amp should be fine as long as the "burst capability" on the batteries doesnt exceed the capability of the ESC. The burst from the EVX-2 is somewhere in the neighborhood of 180amps and settles to 130-150 I think. But the amp draw on the motor is 10-15 amps (im guessing).

worse case, you destroy the ESC.

I guess my question here is, why would the 80amp ESC affect performance if the batteries dont exceed its capability?

DISCALIMER - I am new to the electricity side of this hobby and I dont fully understand it myself - My statement above is information I just received from customer support.

"Red"

IDK: Castle (also involved in the manufacture of the Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL) rated their Mamba Monster at 120A continuous blah blah and the old Mamba Max at 100A continuous. The Holmes Hobbies website lists the MMPro at 80A continuous. The EVX-2 (LVD) is rated at 180A fwd/rev and 360A braking, but that figure is not described as continuous, surge, maximum, or other. It seems amp ratings have more to do with butterflies flapping their wing in the Amazon basin than anything we'll normally encounter.

I wish the OP the best and simply ask that if/when he proceeds with his plan, that he lets us know how it worked out.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Ok thanks for all the info. I keep everyone posted on how it turns out.
    I'm also new to all this too. Just learning as I go. This will be my first project that's not just bolt on parts.
    It's going to be the first time I have to any soldering too. So I will have more newbie questions to come.

Just make sure you have a hot enough iron.... and a third/helping hand.
    I hated soldering for years until I bought the proper equipment. I bought a 60 and 80 watt pencil, a 260/200 gun and a hand.
    Here is a picture of a hand in case you are wondering:

RC Enthusiast
    Got to get me a third hand. I got a TrakPower TK-950 Soldering Station on its way. I've been watching some how to videos on solding. It don't look to hard.

It's not,but like most things it takes some practice.my first few were.....
    Well ugly....lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Got everything in and got started on it last night. Here's some pics.

Water Proof

Taped all the holes up so I wouldn't get any metal shavings in it. Then cut the pinion off.

Dremel the holes out in my motor mount.

I used this bit.

Got it mounted.

My first time solding anything.

Had to go out of town this weekend. So it will be next week before I can get my connectors solder on my esc. And get everything mounted up.

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry for the double pics.

RC Champion
    that side winder (sv2) looking thing can do 6s lipo?

o do you have the tk-950 in yet? im woundering how you like it
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah it's small. And they say it can take 6s. But the dewalt can just handle 5s.

I got the 950, but it's my first solding station so I really don't know what to look for. All I know is it will heat up over 800 real fast. I like it.

Water resistant design
    2s to 6s lipo input
    on board 6v 5a switch mode BEC
    50x39x21mm
    45.6 grams (with battery and motor wires)
    Brushed only
    80a continuous, no single 540 motor limit
    Stick and Castle Link programming compatible

Reverse and brake adjustment
    Regenerative Drag Brake
    Active Hold Brake (The Holmes Hold!)
    Quiet mode

I have been trying to match up the torquemaster to its actual Castle counterpart. With its 6s capability it could only be a MMM or Mmp clone but the MMM is larger and the MMP can run brushless. I cant imagine that Castle made an esc for another company and does not sell the original design in their own line up.

But looking at the design of the case their appears to be a third motor wire hole between the original two so it may have simply had its brushless capability physically deactivated ( and the software switched to brushed mode). I wonder how the castle programming software would view it. Im thinking customized MMP
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-28-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

I think the MMP can run a brushed motor... but I could be wrong as I am recollecting this information from quite a while ago.
    You might be onto something... a MMP with the center wire removed??

In any case, is 80 amps enough for a Summit?? That would be my concern...

RC Enthusiast
    Can I run my evx2 with just two wires hood up to a series harnness and my dewalt? So I can compare the differents.

RC Champion
    hmmm sounds intresting . considering the esc series it up inside. but the thing i would worrie about would be the bec getting to much voltage and frieing
    wait are you talking from battery to esc(^above) or from the esc to motor?
    esc to motor dosent matter as long as red is with red and black is with black

and the mmp does brushed,sensorless .sensord,and smart sense(uses sensored till a certian rpm then switches to senserless)
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Enthusiast
    I was thinking I had to use the harness but it won't make any difference in comparing the two.

No the evx2 cannot be wired for external series. The closest you could come would be to jumper one set of battery wires.

But the main gain you will get from the upgrade to the torquemaster would be the castle programmability ( brake controll, launch controll really great for slow crawling, lipo ready with adjustable cut off voltage)
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    Got it installed.

I run it for about half an hour and done broke something in my read diff. But it will flip on its roof very easy and do backward wheelers. The hold brake is something I got to get use to. Got to learn how to program it better and get the castle link. But I think I had my brake set at 100%. When you run run full throttle and let off all at once it would flip over front wards.
    Until I can fix my diff it's going be little while before I can test it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsickness1 View Post
    Got to learn how to program it better and get the castle link. But I think I had my brake set at 100%. When you run run full throttle and let off all at once it would flip over front wards.
    Until I can fix my diff it's going be little while before I can test it some more.
    AHH YESS
    That dreaded front flip because I forgot I had it set to 100% drag brake.

SOLUTION:
    Instead of unprogramming your drag brake via the castle card each time you want to bash, just leave the drag brake on and set your throttle trim forward a tick. The drag brake only activates when the throttle returns to dead "0". So when your out bashing turn your throttle trim FROM THE TRANSMITTER to 0.1 ( just enough to get off of "0". ) and this will effectively over write the brag brake. Then when you go back to rock crawling set your throttle trim back to "0" FROM YOUR TRANSMITTER and the drag brake will be active. A lot easier and faster than reprogramming the esc each time.

Setting it to 0.1 will send just a pulse of power to the motor but not enough to actually make the truck move.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

By the way 0.1 is just an APPROXIMATION, simply turn the throttle trim knob forward a hair.
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-30-2012 at 01:35 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    Noir thanks for that info. I will try that when I got my diff fixed. Never thought I would need to shim my diffs in a brush set up. But think it might be a good idea now.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    In any case, is 80 amps enough for a Summit?? That would be my concern...
    Why wouldn't continuous 80A be enough?

Specs of the "old" (non LVD) EVX-2:
    Continuous current: 30A
    Peak current: 180A

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/otherparts/3019evx2
    Rated CurrentFWD/REV: 180 amps / 180 amps
    Braking Current: 360 amps
    Continuous Current (at 100F amb.): 30 Amps

With no ratings on peak or braking current for the Torquemaster, I feel it is a valid concern.

RC Racer
    Any isues with the torquemaster esc and that DeWalt motor? Holmes says the DeWalt is too big for their esc.

Yea, I was waiting for an update as well.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    bump? anyone?