RC Qualifier

Question Drill the MIP's? Had no choice...

I was excited to finally have the time to install my new MIP shafts. I started with the front cause one of the integy XHDs were broke. I have the 17mm adapters which utilize the axle pin. The MIPs have no hole for the pin and instead use set screws to hold the little hex hub. A quick search for 17mm adapters that use grub screws came up blank...Even the MIP adapters! I just don't get it! The kind of power the MIP's are designed to put out is too much for the stock size hex's in my opinion. I realize a hole will weaken the shaft but if they ever do break at that point I'll have to come up with another solution I guess.

Am I missing something or is everyone running MIP's with 17mm adapters drilling their own holes?

BTW I only dot the front so far in hopes for a better solution.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Qualifier
    I drilled mine when I added some axle extenders to my son's p4de. Didn't want to, but I couldn't figure out any other way. Been an entire summer with many, many runs, no issues. I guess time will tell.
    FLM EMBE, P4de "Digger", Slash MT, Rustler/P4de

RC Racer
    I'd like to get my son some MIP's for Christmas. Is it possible to order the older style that uses the pin?

RC Qualifier
    just drill them...but make sure you are dead center on the shaft! I was a little off on one and the adapter didn't fit...a costly mistake!
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsaturn View Post
    I'd like to get my son some MIP's for Christmas. Is it possible to order the older style that uses the pin?
    I don't believe so, try taking a look on ebay maybe.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

RC Champion
    Contact mip about your mips adapters. I did and sent mt older ones in and they sent me new ones. Issue solved. Sorry about your bad luck, but I would contact matt at Mip. He is great to work with and will help you out!!!
    Last edited by Dknuckles; 10-18-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NITR0 newbie View Post
    I ordered these last week so my son could use the pinned hex's on his new MIP axles. They came today. They're not the correct part. The ball end of these are way smaller.

as far as i know they have discontinued the pinned axles....it sucks because i much prefer them to what they have now.
    ERBE, 8ight, 8ight-t, b4,b44, scte, slash 4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    as far as i know they have discontinued the pinned axles....it sucks because i much prefer them to what they have now.
    Yeah. I just got a reply from Matt at MIP. They don't sell anything that will work. He did offer to apply the difference of my returned items towards their 17mm hex's, but that's not what we really want. I'm probably going to set up a jig on my drill press and try to drill out the holes myself.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by beetroot72 View Post
    I was excited to finally have the time to install my new MIP shafts. I started with the front cause one of the integy XHDs were broke. I have the 17mm adapters which utilize the axle pin. The MIPs have no hole for the pin and instead use set screws to hold the little hex hub. A quick search for 17mm adapters that use grub screws came up blank...Even the MIP adapters! I just don't get it! The kind of power the MIP's are designed to put out is too much for the stock size hex's in my opinion. I realize a hole will weaken the shaft but if they ever do break at that point I'll have to come up with another solution I guess.

Am I missing something or is everyone running MIP's with 17mm adapters drilling their own holes?

BTW I only dot the front so far in hopes for a better solution.
    You need to get the FLM 17mm adapters. They fit right over top the 12mm hex's so it doesnt matter whether its a keyed axled or pinned axle, as long as youre running 12mm hex's. Heres a pic of the flm 17mm adapters installed on my hr p2de xl with the keyed mip axles.

I just bought another set of flm adapters for my p4de and they arrived today:

They are also way cheaper than the mip adapters, the flm cost around 30-35 on ebay and the mip adapters are something rediculous like 50 bucks which is the same price as a pair of x duty shafts.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...the-HR-P2de-XL...
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I picked up a couple sets of the FLM 12mm to 17mm adapters a little while back. I needed these for the new MIP's and I didnt to purchase the ones from MIP. BTW I didnt know you were using them Baldy. Sweet!!

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I picked up a couple sets of the FLM 12mm to 17mm adapters a little while back. I needed these for the new MIP's and I didnt to purchase the ones from MIP. BTW I didnt know you were using them Baldy. Sweet!!

Been using them for a good while on the HR p2de, but still waiting for the new wheels and tires to arrive for the P4de, then ill be running them on that truck too.

See the ones in the pic above of my HR P2de? They have a kind of dark brown anodize on the wheel nut. They also didnt come With the grub screws which im assuming are to lock the wheel nut in place once the wheel is installed. I wonder what the deal is there?

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...the-HR-P2de-XL...

RC Qualifier
    By the looks of them they will fit my Tekno's also.

Are these the same ones, sure looks like it.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...17mmHEX&cat=10
    Last edited by Shaky17; 12-04-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    By the looks of the they will fit my Tekno's also.

Are these the same ones, sure looks like it, I cant find a part #.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...17mmHEX&cat=10
    Not to go too far OT, but why would you not go with the excellent Tekno 17mm adapters?
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Not to go too far OT, but why would you not go with the excellent Tekno 17mm adapters?
    You're right, I just didn't know that they made them, and often thought why not.

Thank You!
    Last edited by Shaky17; 12-04-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    You're right, I just didn't know that they made them, and often thought why not.

Thank You!
    Just in case you were planning to only buy one set of adapters, keep in mind that the tekno 17mm adapters will only work with pin drive axles and wont work with the keyed mip axles. The flm adapters will fit both the mip's and the tekno's. If youre planning to buy two sets of adapters then go with teknos for the teknos, and the flm for the keyed mips.

I'll see your avatar... and raise one sig...

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=BaldyDaniels;5350613]Just in case you were planning to only buy one set of adapters, keep in mind that the tekno 17mm adapters will only work with pin drive axles and wont work with the keyed mip axles. The flm adapters will fit both the mip's and the tekno's. If youre planning to buy two sets of adapters then go with teknos for the teknos, and the flm for the keyed mips.

Thanks for the info, I use Tekno axles.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail