Thread: Disappointed

RC Qualifier

Disappointed

Was excited to get home today to a fully charged 3s 5000Mah battery and a warm sunny day. Only for it to end with a MIP Xduty rear shaft pin falling out and getting lost. I have been building, bashing, racing and breaking hobby grade R/C's since I was 14 years old. I will be turning 40 in less than six months. I've had Tamiya, Associated, Kyosho, and Traxxas. The quality of cars and trucks today is ten times better than it was 26 years ago. But there is no worst feeling, (R/C RELATED), than having to cut your run short due to a part failure. Especially when it's a hop up part that is suppose to improve durably. Then having to go to the LHS or worst, wait and order replacment parts. Plus having to open up your wallet. For those of you wondering. Yes, I used Red Loctite on the grub screws. But yet still loosened up. As Charlie Brown would say.....AAUUUUUURGGHHHHHH!

At least it's an inexpense fix this time......Just need to vent!!!!!

Sorry you lost you shaft pin. It seems that they fall out alot... It's ok buddy, vent away!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    you could get some big heat shrink to hold it in
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

RC Competitor
    yea same thing happen to me but mine locked up the wheel when it fell out and hit the arm,on the first run.red loctite sat for a day,for the cash it should be better then this,running stock batt too,oh well cant have it all lol

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Wolfslash, you made me smile again.
    Sandine, I've read about using the heat shrink. Does that really work, because I was think about trying it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by onetuffmj View Post
    yea same thing happen to me but mine locked up the wheel when it fell out and hit the arm,on the first run.red loctite sat for a day,for the cash it should be better then this,running stock batt too,oh well cant have it all lol
    But your right, for the money. We should have it all...

RC Racer
    If you get high qualitty heat shrink of proper diameter, I have two sets of cvd's and have another set of heat shrink in mail so if you'd like I will let you know what brand and diameter when t gets hear
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandine Motorsports View Post
    If you get high qualitty heat shrink of proper diameter, I have two sets of cvd's and have another set of heat shrink in mail so if you'd like I will let you know what brand and diameter when t gets hear
    That would be Awesome. Thank You. Let me know.....

RC Racer
    I lost one of those pins last week. That night I ordered some on the MIP website. The next day they canceled my order, refunded my money and sent me out a rebuild kit. For free.

Awesome customer service!

RC Champion
    I use permatex on all our mip sets and never had an issue. Much better than loctite...
    Last edited by Dknuckles; 10-17-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    You point is valid and frustrating and the exact reason I went with Teknos. I had MIPs on other vehicles and while they were beyond strong, I would always lose pins, even with loctite/permatex. Tekno knew this was an issue and engineered a fully captured pin system. I thought MIP was going to start using a similar system, but I guess that never happened. It's sad that they haven't listened to the consumer since this has been the only real complaint of MIP since they have started making CVDs.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ramflames View Post
    That would be Awesome. Thank You. Let me know.....
    A bit of bad news, the heavy duty shrink wrap is very expensive, ot was about $80 bucks for the sizes needed.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 10-18-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Content
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter33 View Post
    You point is valid and frustrating and the exact reason I went with Teknos. I had MIPs on other vehicles and while they were beyond strong, I would always lose pins, even with loctite/permatex. Tekno knew this was an issue and engineered a fully captured pin system. I thought MIP was going to start using a similar system, but I guess that never happened. It's sad that they haven't listened to the consumer since this has been the only real complaint of MIP since they have started making CVDs.
    Well, that and the regular snapping of a few of their parts.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Well, that and the regular snapping of a few of their parts.
    To be fair, I snapped one of the newer lightened Tekno cups in half, so I wasn't going to mention broken parts. Broken MIP or Tekno parts would most likely be driver error, but parts falling off is just bad design.

RC Qualifier
    If you guys are talking about the screws that connect to the diff outputs, hpi86094 screws takes care of that problem.

If you aren't talking about that, then my bad
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Champion
    i understand the issue's some of you have but i think most of these "pin" issue's is self inflicted, aside from the few broken pin's. Not trying to ruffle feather's but I run my slash 4x4 on 4s none stop with no issue's with the pin's for 2 year's. The most critical part to install with the MIP's is the pin. Trying to line up the flat spot on the pin with the grub screw is a pain in the butt. I install the pin with loctite to hold it with the flat spot where it should be then go back and install the grub screw's. Take's me 25 minute's per pin but no problems what so ever. I wish they would goto a better captured pin design but do not want them to goto the Tekno style.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*