Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Battery & Charger for MJ

I've been doing some reading on here trying to figure out the best battery for the MJ.
    For now I do not want to go Lipo. I also see many saying to stay at 7 cells as bigger will ruin the life of the Titan motor. Which also sounds like he Titan motor is going to be needing replaced someday soon anyway as they don't sound too reliable.
    What combo would allow one battery to be ran on the truck until dead while the other is charging with out any real down time? What brand also?

3 days of bliss...November 9,10 &11
    Last edited by Markeje; 10-29-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    The stock 7 cell hump Nimh batteries are a good choice. Duratrax also offers good ones to. I don't much care for Venom as they use a multi/universal plug. I had problems with them and cut them off and soldered genuine Traxxas ones. By far the best Nimh packs Ive run across are/were from Promatch. He stopped selling them about a year or so ago. They have Lipo like punch and very good quality cells. Look for something around 5000mah for good run times.

I know you said NO LIPO, but that is the way to go these days. Its not a crime nor would it hurt you to move up to them. They actually work quite well with the XL5 Titan 12T combo. You could pick up a couple of budget SPC 2S 5000mah (Spec Point Concepts) Lipo packs @ $24-30 each, and a good charger @ $100 +/- for what you would pay for 3 nimh packs @ $50 each, $150ish. Not sure of your budget but that is the way i'd go. JMHO
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Well the maintenance of the lipos are what scare me. More specifically my son scares me when I think about him try to plug one in or something. Hes 5 and sure enough is going to try it when I'm not around.

RC Qualifier
    I'll look into lipo. What is the 30c , 40c and 50c about in the descriptions?

RC Qualifier
    What is a good charger that can do 2 bats at once? And how important is balanced charging?

On the front of a Lipo pack you will notice anywhere between 20c, 30c, 40c & up. Those are the discharge c ratings. A little calculation and you will get the supplying amps for the motor to perform. Mainly for brushless setups, castle creations require a min of 120A, suggest at least 140A, and the more the better it will perform. Just passing this along. You will need this little formula when you get into brushless, be good to know anyways. C x Mah / 1,000 = Supplying Amps.

SPC LiPo Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Battery Pack; 5000mAh, 30C, 2S, 7.4V Hard-Case @ $24.95
    Very good price for this pack. It will give you 150A for future brushless combo.

The Duratrax Onyx 245 AC/DC Dual Charger is a good starter. It has 2 channels and can be used simultaneously and @ 5A / channel. This one is @ $119.98 and does offer you dual charging capablilities which is nice. I've never owned this model but have seen and used a buddies at the track.

You will notice another "c" rating on the back of Lipo packs or on the paperwork included with them. This other "c" is the charging one. It will be something like 1c, 2c, or 4c and up. Same forumla but a smaller nunber, c x mah / 1,000 = charging Amps. So, 2c x 5000mah / 1,000 = 10A. Meaning you could charge it at that high of an amperage. Which is really fast.

You want to balance charger every time IMO. It takes a few extra minutes most of the time, but worth it. It keeps all the cells within the same voltage. Also keeps your packs healthy.

vpc = volts per cell

A few more things is you don't want to fully run lipo down or overcharge them (charger stops at 4.2vpc). I'd stop them at 3.4vpc while running them in your truck. Then you need to put them in storage mode, and charge them back up which is usually 3.75-3.85vpc or charge them back to this voltage. Another habit is anytime you don't run the pack for more than 24 hrs i'd suggest running the packs to the storage voltage or discharge them to that.

The last thing is you will want to store and charge them in a Lipo sack or Ammo box. Both work well if they were to puff. I know I'm giving you a lot of info to take in right at first. Believe me I was really scared at first to. The best thing is to learn the right habits in the begining than to break bad ones you've taken on. They are not dangerous than Nimh or NiCad. Its just a different batter chemistry that is lighter, charges faster, more mah for the money, and way cheaper.

Hopefully this is enough to take in and get you pointed in the right direction. I'm not expert, just passing what i've learned along the way.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 10-29-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    All great advice from digger, I was scared when going lipo for the first time. Now when I get my hands on a Nimh, I usually give it away to kids around here with Traxxas trucks. Just hide and store the lipos so he can't get to them
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

RC Qualifier
    Digger, thanks a lot for the info. I've been considering taking the Lipo plunge, and your info is just what I needed to start figuring out what battery/charger combination to get.

RC Qualifier
    @OP, you can buy a nice lipo bag for $5 or so to store them in someplace safe out of your young ones reach. I believe I got mine as an optional accessory while buying my SPC battery. Once you understand the basics of lipo batteries, there isn't anything to them.
    And I had the Onyx 245 charger and was pretty bummed out when I bought my MT4-G3 and it's 4s battery. (the 245 only charges up to 3s). I'd recommend buying a decent one that will charge and balance up to a 6s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsey77 View Post
    And I had the Onyx 245 charger and was pretty bummed out when I bought my MT4-G3 and it's 4s battery. (the 245 only charges up to 3s). I'd recommend buying a decent one that will charge and balance up to a 6s.
    Yeah I would to. I use a PL6, 600W PSU, MPA ParaBoard and it parallel charges 6- 2S packs in less than 30 minutes. I also just purchased a Hyperion Eos 730i Net3 Charger - 7s, and up to 30A charge rate, @ $100 + $50 for a Power Supply. These good quality fast chargers make a difference in charge times and how well they take care of your packs.

For what he was looking at, the Duratrax-245 is something good to start with, not a particularly fast or powerful one, but does get the job done.

Thanks Stephan and anytime OSU Beaver 99.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Would the Hi-tech X2 be a good charger then? I think Diggerpede suggested that in my other post. My folks are asking what the kids want for xmas. So I am suggesting the charger and batts as a suggestion But I need to get them very specific names and where to order from. Haha.
    I'm also order the 16T pinion to install right away on the MJ.

Yes the HiTec X2 is another good charger. It has dual 200w channels @ 10A charging for each. I've never owned one, but have heard good things about them. Look around and you can pick it up cheaper than $149. If you are a Tower Hobbies club member or join you can get $25 off and free shipping or at Amazon for $141 shipped. Those are just the 2 places I checked. So you should be able to pick it up for around $125, not a bad price for it.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Thanks digger. Also off subject..
    I will HAVE to have an early bronco body to put on it once in while in place of the digger. I assume different mounts will be needed. Any suggestion on this?

The MJ body mounts work very well at mounting different style of bodies. I havent seen to many bodies they dont work for. If it doesnt drop as much as you like yo might have to get creative. I've had to do that a time or too. They are cheap, so hack them up to make them work for you.

If you buy the MJ body mounts as a spare they come with the fronts and 2 options for the back

TRA3619

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Cool - Thanks! I figured it wouldn't be too hard. It seems I've seen almost every body style on a pede at point or another.

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys, back to the battery options again, I have just one more question for you guys (sorry to hijack your thread Markeje). I'm getting ready to order a couple Lipos and really can't seem to decide whether to go with 2s or 3s. About my driving, I'm a backyard basher and occasional dirt track guy. I'm not at all concerned with speed runs, just jumps, dirt, etc. I end up sharing the truck with the guys from work sometimes on lunch breaks, so I see a little more damage to the truck than most. I like working on / upgrading the P2de but not as much as a lot of you guys. And I'm not looking to juice my P2de up to the point of blowing out stock parts like drive axles & gears. All that said, I strongly regret overcommitting to the NiMH batteries (I have five between my and my children's P2des) and I want to make sure I don't leave myself wanting more power.
    I'm about 70% sure that 2s will be sufficient for my but I'd really like to hear from some of you guys that have experience with both. I'd sure appreciate any advice you may have.

And yes, I do realize that for the $35 or so to buy a 3s later on down the road, I am probably overthinking this. Thanks in advance!

Nothing wrong with overthinking or asking questions. In my 2wd trucks I have way more fun with 2S. Not saying you wouldnt have fun with 3S, its crazy fast. You will also break way more parts as you will be going faster. Not sure what all you have upgraded on your truck. Do you have a good RPM or Slash bumper? You will more than likely need to beef up your rear half shafts to the Stamped Rear 4wd shafts or something steel, like MIPs. Even if you drop the pinion to lower the speed its going to have jaw dropping torque which will twist those stock shafts. I've driven my Digger on 3S a handful of times, while it is all out fun, I enjoy 2S more. They do say once you start using 3S, 2S is childs play. LOL

I have 3S and 4S for my bigger & 4wd trucks. They also use a lower KV motor which mostly requires something with more voltage.

What about buying one of each???
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    No problem OSU - any question is a good question and I don't even know what questions to ask!!
    I'm finally ready to order the Son-uva-Digger. Probably today or tomorrow.
    I am going with 2S and the Hi-tech X2 Charger. I'm a total noob so I'm sure 2S will more than be good for us. Plus I'm trying to not burn up the Titan right away -
    What Electric motor oil should I use? Are they all the same? and IF I end up burning the Titan motor up for whatever reason (Heard some are Lemons) What should I get for a replacement? I may order one just to have it around.

I've had good luck with Titan 12T motors so far. But like you said they can be so called Lemons. If you get it and it goes south during the first month, call Traxxas and explain to them. They will more than likely send you a new one.

The best thing is to break in the Titan right off the bat and keep an eye on temps. Which is in your other thread.

I would buy no more than a couple replacements then save up for a brushless combo. This will open a whole new world.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Cool - Thanks Digger. So here's the initial order from Tower Hobbies minus the batts. What am I missing?

-MJ SUAD Truck.
    -Traxxas Pinion Gear 48pt 16T
    -Hitech X2 Charger
    -SPC LiPo Power,(LiPo); 5000mAh, 30C, 2S, 7.4V Hard-Case

I could add a whole bunch of goodies to that list. Whats the budget? LOl

There are a few items that can be added. Main thing is to take the truck and have fun with it them upgrade the parts you break along the way. 5x11x4 bearings are always a good thing to start with. These roll much better than the stock bushings. Also a good bumper to protect the front end. The MJ is good but doesnt offer much. While the RPM Slash one looks funny on the MJ trucks they are well worth it. When I finally busted up my stock Grave Digger body, I moved up to a 1/10 Parma Grave Digger body. It fit it way better. You might also want a VXL wheelie bar. They are really nice, tie strap them in place to keep them from coming loose, as they are adjustable.

Mostly just go have fun with the truck and build it up from there. Hope this helps ya bud.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Battery & Charger for MJ

Don't you need a power supply with that charger?

I believe pavmentsurfer had the Protek version of the Hitec Ultima X2 and it wasn't great. Venom and others rebrand the same charger. None of the above companies actually make this charger.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-31-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I don't know about supply. Do I need one?

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Don't you need a power supply with that charger?
    You are most certainly correct. I did not catch that either. It does require a power source to power it.

If you order some SPC Batts, while you are there pic up one of Toms Power Supplies. You cant beat it for the money.

47A 12.15V DC Benchmark Power Supply @ $45.95

add $3.00 to it for a Power Cord if you don't hae a spare one laying around.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Apparently I do. Dang. So what would be a cheap supply to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Markeje View Post
    Apparently I do. Dang. So what would be a cheap supply to use?
    Just linked you one at SPC. While you place an order grab one from Tom.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Nice! Thanks guys!!

Nice! Thanks guys!!
    Not sure if you've ordered the charger. I've heard good things on it and read good reviews, but have never owned the Hitec X2. It has dual charging capablities, which is nice. I prefer a single much more powerful charger. Something like the Hyperion Eos 730i Net3 Charger, is at a very good cost right over $100. The best one ive used so far is my PL6, it cost just a tad more. The reason I would highly suggest a single more powerful charger is if you buy all the same type of pack you can either Parallel or Series charge them all at once. A whole nother game. Anyways, just thought i'd pass this along.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I haven't ordered yet. OK. So say I go single...how much and where do I get parallel or series set up?

I haven't ordered yet. OK. So say I go single...how much and where do I get parallel or series set up?
    At 10A you are going to charge those packs pretty dang fast. If you have one charged up and go drive by the time it hits LVC/LVD the other one should be ready to go. In other words if you wanted to run a couple of packs, they should both be charged w/in an hour. If you own 4+ packs then i'd suggest getting a paraboard.

To answer your question if you go with the Hyperion and want to utilize parallel charging. The EPBuddy V3 ParaBoard is $25.95 and the charger to board connnector is $2.

The good thing with this setup is you will not have to upgrade as your collection grows. You are setup from the begining. Ive been there and done that. I have purchased multiple chargers to keep up with my vast amount of packs. Don't ask and I wont tell how much i've dumped in just chargers. Ha
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    OK the Hyperion I like that its cheaper. It says to use 24-29v supply for optimal performance. So will the benchmark at 12v not be sufficient?
    And are the little connector boards for parallel/series charging?
    I know you guys must want to ban me with so much noobness

RC Qualifier
    OK. Then I don't think I need a parallel board for now. Just the Hyperion 730i and a power supply and 2..2S lipos.
    Right? Lol.

You can never ask to many questions. Keep them coming.

Latest generation multi-chemistry charger 1-7S capable Up to 30A charge current 10.5V to 29V input Highest performance above 24V input. The higher the voltage works for the higher cell count batterys (someone explain this better, or correct me). You need that umph to power the charger for those packs.

The power supply should be good enough for what you are doing. For the 2 chargers I have I use a PRC600 @ 600 watts, 36 amps, 17 volts and it doesnt break a sweat.

That little board you see is the balance board. You plug the XH connector into it then plug the Traxxas connector to the charger. Which you will need to solder one on or you can pick up one already done. If you can't or dont have a solder station. Have a local Hobby Shop or someone in electronics do it for you.

I would suggest picking up a pack of male & female genuine connectors. You will need these at some point during your Hobby.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

OK. Then I don't think I need a parallel board for now. Just the Hyperion 730i and a power supply and 2..2S lipos.
    Right? Lol.
    That is my suggestion. You can always pick that up down the road if you see a need to. When I know I'm going to have a day of bashing i'll slap them on the paraboard so I dont have to wait for each one to charge before plugging another one in.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    You lost me on the balance board. Is there yet another thing that needs done to charge these lipos? I have solder something?

The little boards on the bottom right hand side of this picture are the Balance Boards. They come with the charger.

For almost every charger you buy you will have to either buy a charging connector or solder your own plug on. The cable is included but requires a connector. Its the one right below the charger. Its just the way it is. You can buy a cable already done and just plug it in. If you look on the charger its the black and red ports on top. Thats where it would plug in.

If you want help with this cable let me know and I can hunt one down for you. Most Hobby Shops carry an assortment of brand makes. Just as long as it has a Traxxas connector.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 10-31-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: pic of wrong charger
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

You lost me on the balance board. Is there yet another thing that needs done to charge these lipos? I have solder something?
    Post #6
    You want to balance charge every time IMO. It takes a few extra minutes most of the time, but worth it. It keeps all the cells within the same voltage. Also keeps your packs healthy.
    You plug the XH connector in that little board. What it does is keeps both cells at or near the same voltage. Instead of one being really high and the other low.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    OK. I see. Man I thought you guys said it wasn't complicated? Or maybe that was me. Ha.
    I don't solder and I do not have a RC shop here that's worth a crap. The guys rude. So id need one tracked down for sure.
    Here's the list.. so far
    Hyperion 730i
    Benchmark power supply
    SPC lipos
    And the mystery cable

LOL. It sounds more complicated than it really is. Once you get the hang of it it'll be like second nature to you.

Look for a 4mm Banana Plug to Male traxxas Connector. Something like this one from Protek R/C:

BTW you are more than welcome to send me the cable and a traxxas plug and i'll solder it up for you.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Ha OK. I may have to do that! I don't mind ordering one either.
    So one more time!
    Hyperion 730
    Benchmark power supply
    2S SPC batts(out of stock)
    4mm connector from protek RC

Am I good?