RC Enthusiast

replacement diff and shock oil

Hey guys, i was wondering if 80-90 gear oil from my 1:1 truck would do the job as shock oil or diff oil in my revo? lol, its a stupid question but heck, if it works it would be a lot cheaper to manage my oil levels. i know a few people that use 10w40 engine oil in there shocks, i have always been hesitant to listen to them because i have no clue if this even works but i figured someone here would know.

RC Racer
    I used to use 15w50 semi synthetic oil in the shocks of my 1/8 nitro buggy years ago, only thing is that engine oil gets thinner with heat but it still worked good, not as much heat in rc shocks as there is in a 1:1 car engine. I also used the same oil mixed with high temp bearing grease in the diffs of the buggy to, that also seemed to work ok & was never any noticeable wear that I could see & the buggy handle & went pretty good.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Enthusiast
    hmm, i feel like 80-90 gear oil should work great, its meant to handle higher temps and gears. plus, i want a thicker oil for my shocks because there isnt much dampening in my shocks, just spring. i opened my springs and the oil was black, ill test the 80-90 and see how much it helps.

My guess is that it would be way too thick to be able to move through the holes in the shock piston as it moves up and down--or if it will be able to move. Install a stronger spring and go up a in oil weight and it should be just fine. That's what's great about this hobby is you can play with the different weights to get how you want your truck to perform.
    80w-90 may work in the diff though.
    The Super Derecho

I've always learned the hard way, use the proper tool for the proper job... The seals and bladders of shocks are made of rubber, the rubber is made to be used with silicone based oil... I've seen some use other types of oils only to find that a couple days later they have leaks because the detergents or the formulation of the type of oil they used ruined the bladders and o-rings.... It's happened to me in the past...

Will it work? Maybe... Do you want to spend the time cleaning, bleeding the air from the shocks, putting them back on to find out you need to do it all over again except this time having to replace bladders and seals? Or having to tear down your diff to replace the o-rings in there?

Shock oil costs $6.00 for a bottle, diff oils are around the same amount... It's up to you... But it's a hit or miss as far as how the seals will react, yet alone the dampening properties of the type of oil you are using..... Gear oil is not designed for dampening shocks, it's designed to lubricate gears that are under lots of torque so it's dempaning properties are not going to be the same as silicone based oil...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Enthusiast
    alright, thanks for the replies!