RC Qualifier

Mounting Tamiya Hilux to my E-Maxx?

I've had a Tamiya Highlift with the Toyota Hilux body for over two years now and I just don't run it, particularly since I got my E-Maxx a year ago. I just thought about using the body on my Maxx and it actually fits perfectly - the proportions, the length, the wheelbase, the width, everything is awesome. This body needs to go on my Maxx!

Does anyone have ideas for mounting it to the E-Maxx? Short of drilling holes in the body, I can't think of anything which wouldn't eject the body in a rough landing. It's a hardbody which doesn't use the typical four-post mounting solution, so one thought which came to mind was plates secured to the body posts which had a velcro or magnetic strip affixed, which would secure to a similar strip on the inside of the body.

RC Champion
    securely fix velcro down the length of the chassis on the sides and fix it there if it reaches along there. other than that it's just looking for a good area to secure the velcro too. Magnetic strips won't handle a roll over.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Qualifier
    There's really no easy, solid way to mount the body apart from drilling it and mounting it conventionally, so that's exactly what I did. It looks beautiful but it's so heavy I need to re-tune the suspension.

Show Stopper by Lunitic, on Flickr

RC Champion
    thats a nice shell, where you would velcro it would be along the side where the battery is but it's a bit short.
    Is that the body posts fully lowered.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo_cat1 View Post
    There's really no easy, solid way to mount the body apart from drilling it and mounting it conventionally, so that's exactly what I did. It looks beautiful but it's so heavy I need to re-tune the suspension.

Show Stopper by Lunitic, on Flickr
    that looks sweet.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    The rear could come down two post holes, but the front valence is just touching the bumper and can't drop any further unless the body gets those two vertical cuts.

RC Champion
    Ya, those are heavy. the body from my old Radioshack truck fits the maxx well to, but I dont think it would be any more durable than the stocker.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Champion
    If your not going to bash it and just use it in open areas, you could remove the bumper and use a T-bone bumper. If they're still available.

RC Champion
    forgot to mention remove the bumpers first and see if the body lowers without being near the motors Or you may need to make something to stop the heat melting the plastic.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    What I've done in the past, is use the body posts, but cut each one just above a hole for the clips. Then I take a piece of plastic (usually Plastruct, because you just score it with a razor and snap it), and cut round holes to fit the mounts. I then glue another flat piece in between the mounts on top of that piece, so the surface is above the top of the mounts. Then attatch Velcro (Great Planes - the best I've found) to that piece. Attatch Velcro to the underside of the body in the corresponding spot and you've got a pretty secure mount without punching holes in the body. I use this to mount scaler bodies all the time. If the Velcro comes loose from the mount on the chassis, I'll sometimes put two small Flathead screws through the Velcro and plastic and that will keep it there and still give you enough surface area to have a secure mount.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    While I agree lowering it further could look cool, I'm inclined to keep it where it is for now. I've always felt the bumpers are part of the iconic MAXX 'look' and are integral to what I love about the E-Maxx. Plus I'd rather bump something with a bumper and not the delicate body.

The stance of the body actually looks good - it just doesn't hang as low as most Traxxas or ProLine lexan bodies, so it looks funny by comparison.

RC Champion
    The bumpers and vertical shocks are what makes the Maxx a monster truck.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0