RC Racer

Where does Traxxas Center Differential Gear Set Slash 4X4 mount?

I was going to order think, I think of center diff as my Robinson Racing gen 3 slipper unit where there appears to be nothing like it. By center diff do they mean center diff in front and rear in center of chassis and would I need 2 of them? Or is it only for slash and I am just confused
    Thanks in Advance,
    dave
    Last edited by Sandine Motorsports; 10-14-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

RC Qualifier
    This is the center diff. It will work in the slash or stampede 4x4. It replaces the stock slipper/spur gear assembly. I don't think you could run your upgraded slipper assembly with it, but I could be wrong.
    ERBE, Sl4sh MT, P4de, 1/16 Grave Digger 4x4

RC Racer
    Thanks for the info, I will just stick with my robinson racing units
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I think I understand what you are asking. Your stock slipper will let you limit power to the driveline. Loose slipper, and the power to all wheels is limited to how much slip you dial in. Lock that slipper down and both the front and rear diffs get all the power your electronics deliver.

With a center diff (instead of a slipper), there is no slip in the driveline. as the rear tires gain traction, power will be sent to the front diff (as the rear squats, the weight on the front tires will unload, and more power will be sent to the front tires as they slip(loss of traction). You can limit the amount of power sent to the front tires by changing to a heavier center diff oil.

A center diff will change the slipping point from dead center of the full driveline, to the front tires loosing traction as the slipper point. Hope I explained it right.

If you have a truck that is running in loose conditions, is very twitchy, brakes to touchy, oversteering, just plain "a handful", a center diff with the right oil, can make everything much more stable, and a lot less "touchy". Trade offs are you may loose a little acceleration out of the hole, and motor temps increase as overall traction increases.

Hint: The more overall traction of the surface, the lighter center diff oil you may need (not in all situations though, as suspension loading may play a part)
    Last edited by rag6; 10-14-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    With the front diff silicone I am running truck runs very well. I tried diff unit, but anything other than diff locked down tight it slipped way to much and get very hot. With stock diff even backed of just a small fraction of a turn it would whine for several seconds, and not just the first foot or two that traxxas recommends if I read manual right. Plus I like the huge clutch in the RR slipper unit and am happier with driving characteristics that with center diff

Of course I am a traxxas noob and have a pretty powerful motor, would it be worth trying Traxxas Center Differential Gear Set Slash 4X4?

Thanks,
    dave
    Last edited by Sandine Motorsports; 10-15-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

What? Just a bit confused here... Trying to help out. You have a center diff or slipper?... or both?

You must mean slipper and diff as the same part??? LOst here...

RC Racer
    Sorry, I'm a bit tired. I currently have robinson racing gen 3 slipper unit, and compare that to Traxxas Center Differential Gear Set Slash 4X4, pro's and cons and what not. Sorry for the confusion
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally