Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

dgudenau's Stampede 4x4 Build

I've finally decided to build a Stampede 4x4 to bash with. I want to have a truck that I can take anywhere for some fun running and jumping, but I don't want to have a big truck like the E-Maxx. I was inspired by DiggerPede's Gatecrasher Stampede and Thomas P's Stampede, so thanks guys! So far on my list I have:
    - Stampede 4x4 Roller
    -Pro-line 2.8 Trenchers on Desperados
    -RPM a-arms on all four corners
    - Spektrum SR300 receiver
    -Savox 1258 servo
    -Kingz Head aluminim motor mount
    -STRC aluminum bellcrank
    -RPM shock towers (front and rear)
    - STRC aluminum c-hubs
    -RPM rear bearing carriers

This is my first traxxas 4x4 truck so I will have questions along the way, so your help is greatly appreciated. I have a few questions to start:
    - How do I RIT dye the chassis? (I want it to be black)
    - I purchased the slash 4x4 rear body mounts to lower the shell, but the guy at my lhs said the fronts wont work. Is this true, and if so what should I use for the front?
    - What motor/esc combo would you recommend for a basher running in "nature" mainly on 2S? (I may try 3S with this truck but not now)

I will try to update the thread as the parts come in. This will be a slower build due to school and work, but fun nonetheless. Thanks for the upcoming help!
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    I like the 1415, but you really need a 5mm pinion and adapter as the smaller pinions dont really work well. I have 1410 in my SC10, but my stampede is quite a bit heavier and not sure if 1410 has the torque for the stampede (my opinion) You can buy stampede specific body lowering post that will fit fine front and rear. To rit dye you need a pot big enough to completely submerge chassis, bring water to boil, add 2 packs rit die, move to medium heat, then submerge chassis for like 20 minutes in medium low heat. (there is a very good how to die stampede chassis on you tube, or maybe its a slash chassis but same principle. I would also recomend MIP CVD's part number 11109 and 1111o. My stock pieces din't last long and so far the MIP pieeces have been bulletproof. Another good idea would be battery extender kit so you can fit a 10000 MAH 2s or 6400 (or similiar size) MAH battery. And a better body would be one of my first purchases, the stock stampede body will tear it self apart very quickly. Also I almost never jump my stampede and two of my stock shock shafts bet almost right away, I purchased traxxas big bores and love them, nevery had a problem. If you have a bit of extra money IMO the robinson racing gen 3 slipper unit is also a great made, I love it so much, I bought a couple in case it brakes, and I like having a metal spur gear.
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

Go mips or tekno driveshafts all round and if you are only running 2s or 3s try hobbywing 120a esc and tenshock 3500kv 550 4 pole motor i have had mine for 2 months and its mental even on 2s with a 17t pinion 40+mph and on 3s arond 60mphpeace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    I have heard that the Stampede's axles are pretty weak. I plan on upgrading them to MIP when the stock ones break. As for motors, I'm looking at either a MMP with the 1410 motor or the MMP with the 1415 motor. A guy at my lhs told me that 2S doesn't achieve much with the 1415 motor. Any other opinions?

There has been progress on the build so far! Here is what I bought:
    -Stampede 4x4 roller
    -RPM a-arms
    -Savox 1258 servo
    -Kingz head motor mount
    -Spektrum SR300 receiver
    - RPM shock towers front and rear
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

Yes tenshock dude try it you will love the power and its half the price....peace

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Yes tenshock dude try it you will love the power and its half the price....peace
    Alright, so is this the one you are talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenshock-Sho...item27ca42b07a
    For the price its at and the specs it is showing, it seems very appealing. I'm mainly looking for torque out a a motor. I want the truck to be responsive to throttle inputs, but I still want speeds around 40 or so. Can anyone compare the performance of this motor to the castle 1415 or 1410?
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    1415 rocks with 3s or 4s, very fast. On 3s, motor timing at 20 (highest setting) with no fan on motor, high start power, torque control disabled I ran it as fast as I could as long as I could and motor temp only reached about 138 degree's. I also believe 1410 has less kv. That was with robinson racing gen 3 slip unit with 54 tooth metal spur and 5mm 16 tooth pinion
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

Quote Originally Posted by dgudenau View Post
    Alright, so is this the one you are talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenshock-Sho...item27ca42b07a
    For the price its at and the specs it is showing, it seems very appealing. I'm mainly looking for torque out a a motor. I want the truck to be responsive to throttle inputs, but I still want speeds around 40 or so. Can anyone compare the performance of this motor to the castle 1415 or 1410?
    If you go on youtube the jang put it up against the castle and its much better and he is using the 4600kv so if you go for 3500kv you will have more torque and can run 2s and 3s with no temp probs

RC Racer
    If you go on youtube the jang put it up against the castle and its much better and he is using the 4600kv so if you go for 3500kv you will have more torque and can run 2s and 3s with no temp probs
    you think the 4600kv will have temp issues, my castle 5700 got super hot even with low timing and burnt out on my SC10, switched to castle 1410, I think it is probably 3500kv wouldn't have the temp issues
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

They do the motor in 4600kv,4000kv,3500kv if your truck is 2 wheel drive go for the 4000kv it will be faster than 1410 and run cooler

RC Racer
    but can you run 4000kv in 4s? (I dont have 2wd anyways, just curious, maybe through a higher kv motor in the sc10)
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

Quote Originally Posted by Sandine Motorsports View Post
    you think the 4600kv will have temp issues, my castle 5700 got super hot even with low timing and burnt out on my SC10, switched to castle 1410, I think it is probably 3500kv wouldn't have the temp issues
    Let's leave the SC10 out of the conversations here Traxxas does not really like or allow talk of other brands here.

I have run a 1406 5700kv motor in my Pede 4x4 with good success and no heat problems. Granted I only ran it on 2s but with proper gearing I have no doubt you could run 3s
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Well for the price, I think I'm going to try the tenshock motor with the MMP. My only concern now is the necessary C rating on the battery that would be able to sustain good performance out of the motor without it drawing too much.

I have also decided to go with this shell for the truck: http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=472
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    I went with the same body for my new one but the super duty raptor version
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

RC Champion
    I went with the same body for my new one but the super duty raptor version
    Yeah I was choosing between the raptor or the f-250 model, but I just liked the front end and the boxed cab more on the f-250.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Can someone post up the ideas or pictures of how to lower the body, particularly the front because I bought slash 4x4 rear mounts? Thanks
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Funny how my 4 pole 4600kv castle runs 160 in a 5 min sct race on carpet, and 110 all day long, pack after pack with mt tires bashing on dirt with the same gearing and slipper setting in a heavier truck...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    Thanks for the link. I think I might do the jetlag2222 body mount mod that uses the aluminum battery holders because I already have three available.

Well when I came home from school today, I saw a package at the door, and it was the Stampede and some parts! I was surprised that it was shipped so quickly. I busted open the package and just looked over the truck. Everything looks neat and well-placed, and I'm excited to begin building my first traxxas 4x4. Here are some pictures:

Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    That pede's just aching to get dirty

Sounds like a sweet build so far man
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

You wait until you try your tenshock motor in it happy days.And with batteries use a min of 5000mah 40c because its amp mental........peace

RC Champion
    Good, the batteries I have are both 5000 mah and 40c. And yes, I can't wait to run it and get it dirty before winter sets in here in Michigan. Tonight, I RIT dyed the chassis, put on the new body mounts (I stole the fourth post from the battery hold down), and put on the RPM front shock tower with the RPM a-arms. I will assemble what I have now, but the motor and esc will have to wait for more funding. I think I also want to put on a shroud from outwears rc. Anyone have any experience with it? I was wondering if the STRC bell crank is worth the money. I will post new pictures tomorrow or on Friday.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    I ordered the strc bell crank set-up for the Pede yesterday along with the mip x-duty rear shafts, which were pretty expensive. I though it was $60 for a set, not just a pair. My next purchase will be the motor, which will be the tenshock 3500 kv, but I was wondering if I have to mod/dremel the chassis to get it to fit properly. Anyone have the specs on what size the chassis can fit without any mods or if I will have to mod it?
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

Yes you will need to dremel just i bit of the old stock esc mount and you are good to go my friend....peace

RC Champion
    Here are some pictures of the chassis dyed black: (I plan on bolting the two halves to the chassis once I install the new bell crank and the mip drive shafts.)

Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    I got the strc bell crank and the mip rear x-duty shafts in the mail today, and tonight, I mounted them up. The mip shafts are much heavier than I thought, but I'm sure they will hold up well. I will post some pictures up tomorrow if I have time.

Question: Will a glitch buster do the same thing as a castle external bec?
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

Question: Will a glitch buster do the same thing as a castle external bec?
    No it does not do the same thing, but it sort of gives the same result.
    A glitch buster adds a sort of energy buffer to handle power peaks better.
    A BEC just takes the task over from the ESC to feed everything that is connected to the receiver.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    No it does not do the same thing, but it sort of gives the same result.
    A glitch buster adds a sort of energy buffer to handle power peaks better.
    A BEC just takes the task over from the ESC to feed everything that is connected to the receiver.
    Okay thanks. So they both will correct the same, common glitching error when the mmp and savox servo is combined?
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

Okay thanks. So they both will correct the same, common glitching error when the mmp and savox servo is combined?
    I have no personal experience with a glitchbuster, but according to experience of others, the answer would be: Yes.
    Nobody is born with experience

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    A glitch buster does remedy the problem. A BEC would be the best fix for it though. I have to run a glitch buster with my Savox 1258TG & High Voltage JR Servos. I'm working on converting my fleet to CC 10A BEC's though.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Thank you. I will probably use glitch busters to start with because I have two with me. I ordered my motor yesterday, so when it comes in, I will bolt the truck together then wait to buy an esc, tires, body, and a few miscellaneous parts!
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

I am jealous. I need so many more parts to finish. Should have gotten a roller in the first place... For the sake of speed of build. I may save a bit of cash in the end, but it is requiring so much more work lol. Love how your build is buttoning up!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I am jealous. I need so many more parts to finish. Should have gotten a roller in the first place... For the sake of speed of build. I may save a bit of cash in the end, but it is requiring so much more work lol. Love how your build is buttoning up!
    Thanks for the compliments! I wanted the roller mainly for the chassis, diffs, and a few other odd parts. Do you plan on putting in different diffs in your pede? I want my build to go faster because Hurricane Sandy. I heard somewhere on the news that it may bring some snow for Michigan, and since my pede won't be waterproof, I want to run it before it comes.

I'm still waiting on the motor to come. Once it gets here, I will bolt the rear end on and the center chassis pieces. I think I'm going to get the traxxas et-3s esc just for the cost. It is cheeper than the mmp, I'm not going to run more than 3s, and it already has a capacitor.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Wait hold up, I just read that the et-3s cannot bind to any other radio except the TQI. Can anyone verify this for me?
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

Digger got a spektrum radio to bind:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...T-3s-esc-combo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Digger got a spektrum radio to bind:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...T-3s-esc-combo
    In the thread diggerpede was talking about range problems. I'll have to send him a message and ask him what was the problem unless somebody else has experience.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    So Fedex is supposed to have my motor tomorrow, but I don't know if that will happen with Sandy grounding some flights, so we shall see. This weekend, I hope to go to the lhs and pick up the trenchers, but I need to know what pinion gear to get. Can someone help me with the gearing please? Like I said the motor will be a tenshock 4 pole 3500 kv, a traxxas et-3s esc, pro-line trenchers, 2s lipo, 54t spur, and I will be bashing it doing jumps and some off-road trails. Thanks
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

I am running a 17t with 2s and it goes like a rocket and the temps are low 138f but with 3s it more like 160f is. and i have been running this setup for just over 4 months so i know it works...peace

RC Champion
    I am running a 17t with 2s and it goes like a rocket and the temps are low 138f but with 3s it more like 160f is. and i have been running this setup for just over 4 months so i know it works...peace
    So 17 tooth eh? What speeds do you get out of your pede with that gearing?
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

I have had 43mph with 5300mah 50-100c pack but just had a 6000mah 65-130c for my birthday and it feels a bit faster but have not used my mates speed gun with the new pack and the punch is crazy....peace