RC Racer

Question for those running MMP and castle motor

The fan that comes with motor, what are you wiring it to, doesn't seem like there is a slot in reciever for it, and have been debating wiring it in series with power switch wiring for speed control. And don't think this is a hinderance for my cover cooling fans , I am running separate home ma batter back for those. Just gather some baselines for temps and went not. I would greatly any help.
    Thanks Fella's,
    Dave
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

RC Competitor
    I honestly suggest forgoing the castle blower fan for the motor. It moves maybe 3 or 4 CFM at best (a good 60~70mm PC CPU fan can move some where in the 30's up to the 50's depending on noise). Typical thermal dissipation for a CPU is in the 50 to 100 watt range with a very high surface area. The surface area on the outside of the motor is pitiful at best and with such a meager air flow there is no purpose really.

What you need three things really, increase thermal mass (meaning it will take longer to heat up and allow you to sink more thermal energy), increase surface area and increase air flow in a meaningful way.

The first and second can be accomplished by the following two things:
    1. Novak HV Heatsink - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...otor-Heat-Sink. This will increase your thermal mass substantial and even more substantially increase your surface area.
    2. Traxxas Motor Plate - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tor-Plate-Blue. This will also increase thermal mass, but not surface area by any meaningful way.
    Next cut a hole in the chassis under the motor, about 10mm to 15mm wide and 5mm longer than your 2400kV. This will allow for the negative pressure under the body to draw cool air in from the bottom and exhaust it past the top of the heat sink when the truck is moving at high speed. When its stopped, it also allows for convection cooling by drawing cool air in from under the chassis.

I am running the Castle 2400kV and MMP with 0 degree timing advance (going to try it with 10 degree advance next, which is the default). I am geared 17 /54 on a 4S 35C 4500mah LiPo and I ran the full pack last time doing speed runs and up and down steep hills with thick, tall yard grass. Max temp I saw on the heatsink was 165F. The motor is good til 200 +/- a few degrees. Before I previously ran with the CC blower and stock motor plate, temp hit 205F with same system. Ambient was a little warmer, in the high 60's to low 70's where it was a tad cooler this time, in the mid to low 60's. But that's not a huge difference in ambient. Also if you need further cooling, buy a 5VDC 40mm PC cooling fan and put it in front of the motor so its blowing air the long ways along the motor, you can get these for $7 to $10 and they will move around 7 to 10 CFM of air. Remember I'm also running 0 timing advance. I have not tried low or normal advance yet with this cooling setup, but it seems I might be able to safely run 5 to 10 deg without breaking 190F even on a hot day. As long as you have a little margin above max of 200 your ok.

All that being said I have seen in the real world the Castle blower take motor temps form 165F down to 135F.

You can plug the blower into any open port on your receiver to power it up.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    All that being said I have seen in the real world the Castle blower take motor temps form 165F down to 135F.

You can plug the blower into any open port on your receiver to power it up.
    I am still going to run my cooling setup on the jconcepts cover.

The problem I am having with castle motor fan is if I power up vehicle (still using traxxis tqi radio and reciever,)

Whats weird as I have tried at least five times, wiring reviever to second port 1 and speed control to port 2, and all the sudden I plug fan into port 1 and it work (don't ask me why but I'm happy and won't try to overthink and troubleshoot why it didn't work before lol.

Thanks for for the info buddy much appreciated.
    Dave
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally