RC Qualifier

Ceramic bearings.

I just orders some acer ceramic bearing's for my summit and I heard ceramic are weak, is that true? Acer said they are shatter proof I am confused lol
    will hold up or break in the hub carriers??
    Thanks tyler

Sent from my iShpod touch using Tapatalk
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

some have good luck with the bearings some dont i've heard people shatter them in bulkheads, hubs and stuff so for the price you paid you might get lucky, i am going to avid bearings when i need replacements as they are better than traxxas bearings IMO as i have shattered too many of their bearings that were ran no more than 2 times in hubs.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    ceramics are smoooooooooooooooooth. run them in the revtech 13.5 in my traxxas srt, as well as my novarossi cx12 in my rc10gt. its not that ceramics are anymore/less durable, its that they are smoother and if well built, can handle higher rpm's.

had a full set of ceramics in my srt but after burning most of them up (the track clay just wrecks them) ive pretty much just gone to cheapo 99c steel boca bearings in that along with all my cars, still have misc traxxas/ associated/ etc in various cars but ive mostly given up on high dollar bearings. the way i figure, whats the point?
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

Ceramic bearings really aren't the best choice for off road vehicles (or any application where they are exposed to dirt and debris. They're definitely smoother and capable of handling higher RPM's than steel bearings though. I used them in a few of my big block nitro motors and they lasted considerably longer than the standard bearings.

RC Qualifier
    Hmm okay. I got them specifically for my transmission all were rusted and wore out and sloppy or gritty. I got a whole set for 89 dollars. I will try them in the hubs to worst think is they break right? I will maintain them on a regular basis and stuff I was gonna get steel ones but I had a horrible time getting rusted in steel ones out so I decided I would try these. They should work fairly good in the tranny right??

Quote Originally Posted by tyler13 View Post
    Hmm okay. I got them specifically for my transmission all were rusted and wore out and sloppy or gritty. I got a whole set for 89 dollars. I will try them in the hubs to worst think is they break right? I will maintain them on a regular basis and stuff I was gonna get steel ones but I had a horrible time getting rusted in steel ones out so I decided I would try these. They should work fairly good in the tranny right??

Do you have a link to the bearings you're talking about? A lot of ceramic r/c bearings are hybrids, meaning they are steel races with ceramic balls. So you would still have an issue with rust. Full ceramic bearings usually cost a whole lot of money. I've seen some full ceramics that cost more than your entire vehicle for just one bearing.

RC Qualifier
    It is the only one under ceramic for summit. I can get a link just don't have my computer close.

RC Champion
    Full ceramic set's are well over the 89 price tag for the one's you bought. They are ceramic ball's inside a SS race. I run Boca yellow's they are ceramic ball's and SS race's. I paid 100 for 2 set's. Gotta love the birthday discount of 50%.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    On the site it said it is regularly 150.

I just orders some acer ceramic bearing's for my summit and I heard ceramic are weak, is that true? Acer said they are shatter proof I am confused lol
    will hold up or break in the hub carriers??
    Thanks tyler

Quality ceramic bearings will not shatter, however are you gaining anything by using them? I've used both and I have raced RC's for about 7 years now....

Ceramics are great for high RPM applications. The 3.3 engine goes to 36,000 functional rpms, so using cerfmics bearings there and in the CB as well as the tranny would eb an advantage, however for the wheels and the diffs, and the output shaft of the tranny the RPMs you obtain are a lot less and I don't think you will see an advatage using cermics over another good quality metal bearing...

I use Avid Revolutions series on my wheels and diffs in their metal form, they have 1 rubber seal 1 metal shield, this makes them very efficient. You just face the rubber seal towards the dirty side and the metal shield towards the clean side... This has been my best experience with them and boy do they make a difference...

By doing this all at once I was able to gain an extra 2 laps out of a tank of fuel on the track... That tells me right then and there I am getting better efficiency... It was the ONLY change made in 1 week in time and the weather was the same... Same fuel etc....
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Qualifier
    For me to order the set was cheaper than 10 bearings at my LHS so that's the main reason I got them. And it's not that I want to gain lots but to gain a little bit would be a bonus for me!
    Thanks for all the replies

For me to order the set was cheaper than 10 bearings at my LHS so that's the main reason I got them. And it's not that I want to gain lots but to gain a little bit would be a bonus for me!
    Thanks for all the replies

Good quality bearings does stop potential headaches... And if you maintain them well they should last a good while...
    I know I pay $1.00 per bearing on average for the Avid Revolutions steel bearings... But well worth it since I have put easily 14 gallons and not a single bearing failure...

You will be happy with your purchase that's for certain... The information I am posting is also for other's to read who might be considering this...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

Never used any Avid bearings, but I put a full set of Boca green seals in my T4 back in '08 or '09 and haven't had a single issue to date. That truck was raced on a weekly basis in mod truck with a 7.5 Novak and has since been used a couple times a week on our new backyard track with a Trinity 13.5 setup.

The green seals cost a bit more than $1.00 per bearing, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten my money's worth out of them.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Never used any Avid bearings, but I put a full set of Boca green seals in my T4 back in '08 or '09 and haven't had a single issue to date. That truck was raced on a weekly basis in mod truck with a 7.5 Novak and has since been used a couple times a week on our new backyard track with a Trinity 13.5 setup.

The green seals cost a bit more than $1.00 per bearing, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten my money's worth out of them.
    Put a whole set of Boca Green seals in mine. Shifts smoother, trany shifts smoother whole truck runs smoother and less heat build up. Also big plus is the wheels turn easier. They are not cheap but got tired of cleaning/replacing bearings in the short time have owned my Summit.