RC Enthusiast

budget revo build

just bought a revo off a guy from work , its like 95% there from what i can tell ( only paid 80bucks for it ) its a 3.3 , guy i bought it from bought it off a guy who took it apart and lost intrest and the guy i bought it from didnt know anything about it and was trying to get into the hobby but lost intrest quick , from what i can tell its got a FOC in it because i cant see any way to shift the trans into reverse ( not to familiar with revos at all thow so i could be wrong ) , so far i can see the only things im gonna need is a charger for the RX pack , a 27mhz reciever ( i may just step up to a 2.4ghz setup if i can find a deal on one from craigslist ) , 1 hex peice that sits inside the rim and a pullstart ( it has a ez start on it now but i need the wand , would rather just use pull start anyways thow ) ... its got a few aftermarket goods , tons of suspension springs , aluminum rear A arms , metal gears for the trans ,., looking to upgrade the stearing servos thow ( its got a 2055 and a 2018 in there now , probably going to go dual 2055s or step up to dual 2070s if my pockets let me )

ill be looking for a few parts to upgrade and replace so please look for me in the sale section

RC Enthusiast
    ill post a picture of mine so you can compare. i have dual 2055's in my revo and it works great, no need for a 2070. however if your willing to spend the money you can upgrade to a single servo system and get a much better turning radius at the cost of a $50-$100 servo. personally, i would switch to a pull start as well, especially if your bashing. only carrying around the glow plug igniter is much easier than carrying the ez start wand. also, a 2.4ghz radio is a must, if your revo is FOC your looking at $35 for a 2 channel setup, if you have reverse it will be around $60 for a 3 channel setup. another thing i would invest into is a new traxxas receiver battery, especially if the truck has been sitting for awhile. The battery life on the old battery is not going to be so great and you really really really do not want a loss of signal at WOT lol.... last time mine did that it put a pretty big dent into my neighbors corvette... lol.

here is my complete truck, i would suggest getting the revo 3.3 wing kit, it protects your engine in rollovers and stuff, plus i acts like a wheelie bar, really useful

if you have reverse you will also have this

also, i would recommend getting the spring mounted revo 3.3 platinum exhaust manifold for your 3.3, those bolt on manifolds tend to break on me. best $15 i ever spent on this truck

Last edited by Double G; 10-13-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Merge

RC Enthusiast
    nice revo man ..... so say i went to a single servo setup on stearing , would a 2070 be enuff ? seems like 1 less servo would be a little easier on the batteries , looks like i do have reverse on mine , kinds explains the micro servo i have and the opti shift i just found ............. ive got about 5 pipes that came with it to , some chrome , some blue , only 1 seems to work right thow
    Last edited by zrozak1986; 10-13-2012 at 11:39 AM.

The 5308 came with a single 2070 servo which is what I run. If you want to go stronger than the 125 oz then go right ahead.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    the single servo sounds great. plus, you wouldn't have to worry about premature servo failure due to the two servos fighting each other if they aren't adjusted correctly.

RC Enthusiast
    oh, also you should definitely take of the opti drive module and just run the throttle and reverse servos directly into the receiver, that opti drive is really unpredictable and is more likely to shift its self into reverse during a WOT run than you are with your thumb if your careful. just be careful with your thumb if you do remove it, wouldnt wanna shred gears.

RC Qualifier
    With the reverse switch on the transmitter, just put a body clip in it so you cant move it unless your trying to. But I am a fan of FOC anyhow lol
    Joshua 24:15 Choose this day who ye will serve

RC Racer
    Even if the engine is bad, that sounds like a great deal. Hope you have fun with it. I love the Revo platform.

RC Enthusiast
    well ive been building the crap out of this thing , PITA putting it together , need to buy a few things ( slipper pads mainly , dont want to put the motor in till i get the slippers on and adjusted )

got a few questions for you guys , i can not for the life of me figure out how to get the throttle and brake linkage setup , looks to me like the guy had his throttle on 1ch and his brakes on another , ive got a 2055 servo in there for the brakes and throttle but cant figure out how to set it up the right way , ideas ?

im guessing the plug coming out of the trans is for the opti shift ? , do i have to use the opti shift ?

will 1 2070 servo be enuff for the stearing ? , thinking about doing a single servo setup

RC Qualifier
    Take a look at tekno rc. They make a throttle and brake set up to work really well. No optidrive doesn't have to be used. If your going single servo I would look at a JR Sport high torque servo. Right around $40 bucks(at my LHS).
    Joshua 24:15 Choose this day who ye will serve

RC Champion
    . You should be able to see how in this pic mine has rear breaks as well do don't mind the linkage going toward 3 o'clock
    Last edited by Emaxx1991; 10-15-2012 at 01:01 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    awsome , thanks emaxx .,. looks like im going to have to buy a new head for the top of my servo ( not sure of the exact name ) , looks like mines broken ware the throttle linkage hooks up at , i may just try to fab one up from my left over nitro sport parts

RC Champion
    You can get the whole assemblie on eBay for like $6. Just type in revo throttle linkage

RC Enthusiast
    i found my throttle setup in my box of parts that came with the revo , im still thinking about putting a new head on the throttle/brake servo and making my own setup , seems like it would be pretty easy