Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

1/8 scale Slash conversion

I just made up my mind to convert my faithful slash to an 1/8th scale short course truck using the Team Associated SC8 body. My buddy did this a while ago and I just painted a body for his and it really made me want one. I found some materials in the scrap pile at work that will work for the chassis extension that's the fundamental part of the conversion. My timeframe is 2 weeks.

Parts to be used:
    extended Slash chassis
    Proline 2.2 beadlock wheels
    Axial 2.2 Ripsaw tires
    Associated SC8 body
    Proline Protrac front arms
    FLM aluminum bulkhead
    FLM aluminum transmission
    RPM front bumper

Here's my buddy's completed truck:

I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Competitor
    Wow. Looks huge! Very cool.

RC Qualifier
    I want to see the chassis! I also want to know what is powering it. It should need a pretty big power system... You know, like a mamba monster =D
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    If you don't care measure the wheel base on it once you get it extended.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    I want to see the chassis! I also want to know what is powering it. It should need a pretty big power system... You know, like a mamba monster =D
    I am thinking about the Castle SV2 / 4600 combo. Or I may just stick with the Velineon and 3S. I have been running these big tires with the traxxas system and it is working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    I will. I want to pick up the SC8 body tomorrow. The wheelbase will be based on that. Then I can get started on putting the chassis together.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    Fifteen inches.

Quote Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
    I am thinking about the Castle SV2 / 4600 combo. Or I may just stick with the Velineon and 3S. I have been running these big tires with the traxxas system and it is working for me.
    You'll blow up an SV2/4600 combo. I've been running my custom Slash-based 1/8th SCT for two years, and I'm running MMP + Tekin T8 on full-time 3S. Weight is a significant issue. Getting the truck under 8lbs RTR is difficult once you start looking at the weights of the individual components. The SC8 shell alone is ~14oz, and the same for a typical 3S pack. If you do indeed want to go fast, I don't recommend 2S at all.

This is the third version of my build. Mid-motor, 80% custom, 8lbs 4oz. RTR.

RC Racer
    More chassis pictures please... From Dr. Isotope aswell. Love the Ripsaw tires, I run Baja Claws using the same beadlocks on 3s, had to tape them an glue them to the bead cause they came of.....

Very nice, but more pictures please..!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Thats awesome, I'd like to see more pics as wel

RC Qualifier
    I should have written in the title of this thread that a slacker is building this one, so no one should be in a hurry. I have a friendly race set up this Saturday so I can't pull my Slash completely apart just yet. I will be working with a spare chassis and tranny for the extension so I can get started this week on that. With pics, of course.

[QUOTE=Dr. Isotope;5309912]You'll blow up an SV2/4600 combo. I've been running my custom Slash-based 1/8th SCT for two years, and I'm running MMP + Tekin T8 on full-time 3S. Weight is a significant issue. Getting the truck under 8lbs RTR is difficult once you start looking at the weights of the individual components. The SC8 shell alone is ~14oz, and the same for a typical 3S pack. If you do indeed want to go fast, I don't recommend 2S at all.
    QUOTE]

Thanks a million for the input, Dr. Isotope, but I am currious about why the SV2 is not up to the task? I have been using my VXL/3300 traxxas system with my HEAVY slash (I'll weigh it when I get home because now I need to know how much heavier the bigger version will be) in the sand with 4000 and 4400 mah 3s batteries for almost two years. I run 54/14 32p gears for a 12.24 final drive ratio. (I'm not really a top speed freak. My signature is a quote from "Talladega Nights") I do have a MMP that I could steal from my rock crawler if I really had to . . .
    Last edited by snicklefritz; 10-15-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    Castle themselves state not to use the Sidewinder in vehicles over 5lbs-- which rules out most SCTs, much less 1/8th scale ones. A buddy of mine ran the SV2 in his Chuckworks-chassis Slash, and even on 2S it would get quite warm under regular use-- an he was about 5.8lbs RTR. I would look toward an ESC that can handle 3S input all day long, like an MMP or BH LT4.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope View Post
    Castle themselves state not to use the Sidewinder in vehicles over 5lbs-- which rules out most SCTs, much less 1/8th scale ones. A buddy of mine ran the SV2 in his Chuckworks-chassis Slash, and even on 2S it would get quite warm under regular use-- an he was about 5.8lbs RTR. I would look toward an ESC that can handle 3S input all day long, like an MMP or BH LT4.
    Thank you much!
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Champion
    how are those ripsaw tires working for ya?! they look sweet!

RC Qualifier
    I like how they look, too. They work real good on loose dirt and sand. I've been using the 2.2s with a jeep body and I'm gonna try the 1.9s with a Baja bug this weekend on a loose, tight track.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    Here's a pic of the SC8 body next to a Proline Raptor body.

This is the busted chassis I'll use:

This is the 1/4" aluminum piece that will connect the tranny to the chassis:

My plan is to cut out the esc mounts so the alluminum extention piece will recess into the chassis and I'll use through bolts to attach it. I have some smaller aluminum strip I can use to reinforce the bottom of the plastic chassis here and also at the new rear skidplate connection.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Competitor
    Cool project! I'll be watching this one closely
    Last edited by lemansfanatic; 10-18-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Nice work so far. Are you also going to use a piece under the chassis? How long is your extension piece?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Nice work so far. Are you also going to use a piece under the chassis? How long is your extension piece?
    Thanks. I know I haven't done much yet. I have a big crawling and racing GTG this Saturday so I'm keeping my slash as-is for that. Come Sunday it's game on!

I do have some 1" wide, 1/16" thick aluminum to use as reinforcement under the chassis. This material is scrap from some big HVAC ducting support straps. The plan is to use this at all the new holes I'll drill through the chassis for the extension and the rear skid plate. The extension piece is 1/4" thick, 2" wide, 4 3/4" long 6061 alluminum that I found on the ground at work (construction site). I will have to shave the sides a little so it will fit nicely under where the esc normally resides. With the length of the extension piece there should be enough length to set up the wheelbase to fit the SC8 body perfectly. This construction trash was a good find!
    Last edited by snicklefritz; 10-18-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Competitor
    That's nice mate, I reakky like your beadlock wheels. You mentioned using protrac front arms do you think there durable I have them and people have told me as a basher they wont last long at all. Also using protrac arms are those rims 0 off set? I have the standard split 6 rims after being told that's all that work.

Great job so far ill be checking back for sure.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-PHASE View Post
    That's nice mate, I reakky like your beadlock wheels. You mentioned using protrac front arms do you think there durable I have them and people have told me as a basher they wont last long at all. Also using protrac arms are those rims 0 off set? I have the standard split 6 rims after being told that's all that work.

Great job so far ill be checking back for sure.
    I've used the protrac arms for over a year now and they are durable. I had a few scary landings this past weekend but no breaks! I don't use the protrac wheels so the result is a wider front end. This is desirable for me and works with the Baja bug and other bodies I use. Doesn't work with stock type bodies because of rubbing. The 2.2 wheels I'm going to use will definitely be wide, so if the tires don't properly stuff into the fenders I may have to switch back to RPM arms. Or go crazy and get Vanquish arms. Those are so sexy!
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Enthusiast
    Snicklefritz, you will be right at 7lb. I run a 4 pole 3800 with the sct speed controller.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Bobby View Post
    Snicklefritz, you will be right at 7lb. I run a 4 pole 3800 with the sct speed controller.
    FYI everybody - that's Bronco Bobby's SC8-bodied slash at the top of this thread. The one with the flames.

I looked at those Vanquish aluminum arms last night. $45 shipped for all four. I just might do it. I've never heard of anyone using their Slash parts, but for rock crawling Vanquish is top of the line stuff.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    I cut out my body tonight. Here's what it looks like on the slash wheelbase.

Then I trimmed a chassis to fit the extension.

This should work.

I marked and drilled the extension to attach the rear end.

The width of the rear will work with the stock arms.

The front will be too wide with the Protrac arms, unfortunately.

Well I guess I better buy those Vanquish arms I mentioned earlier. They are the stock width so they will work just fine. And they're on sale!

Another idea I had is to get some dye for the gray chassis. I think I'll go black. It'll match the bumpers and wheels.
    My next chance to work on this will probably be Friday. My plan is to put the front end together then finish drilling and attaching the extension to the chassis. After that I get to paint the body.
    Last edited by snicklefritz; 10-24-2012 at 12:53 AM.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Enthusiast
    Looking very good. Quite productive last night.

RC Qualifier
    I would stay away from aluminum arms the added weight is not going to help.

RC Competitor
    This looks pretty straightforward, which is odd I can't find any other posts about this same modification. Google searching "1/8 Scale Slash" only brings up the backslash mod threads, which is not what I want to do. Are there any other people who did this mod already? I am interested in doing this same 1/8 scale mod (or bigger) but keeping it short course body as well. Seems like it should be easy to make a Slash ANY size you want simply by extending the rear like the OP is doing here and then putting on longer A arms to widen it. Any plans for a 1/6 or 1/5 scale Slash mod?
    Last edited by lemansfanatic; 10-24-2012 at 06:44 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I started with a stampede and wanted to lower it and put a more realistic body on it. That provoked me to lenghten the stampede 2". This fit the 1/10 scale short course body. Then I added 1/8 scale tires and wheels. Nope that wasn't good enough, so I Swapped over to a slash chassis, and went another 2" and used stampede rear arms front and back. Now it fits the sc8 body.

Yes you could go as long or wide as you wanted. What seems to be the challange is keeping the trans and gears together with the 2.2 hard compound crawler tires. The 4 pole seems to have plenty of power. For example I blew the gears out of my diff over the weekend (using 3s).

RC Qualifier
    I have all day to make some progress and one bent hinge pin is foulin up the works! I love this hobby because things always go as planned! I'm about to go all Bill O'Reilly on this thing!
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    I tried and tried

and then I gave up.
    I went to the LHS and got a plastic front bulkhead. Had to shelve the FLM unit due to a stinking bent hinge pin that would not give. So I figure the Lunsford titanium hinge pins are a good investment. LHS had them in stock. Woo Hoo! Also picked up an RPM front shock tower for good measure.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    And then the mailman delivered. Four Vanquish aluminum arms, made in USA from Kaiser 6061 aluminum.

You gotta give these things a try. They are so light! I don't have a drug dealer scale, but with my calibrated hands I could tell no difference in weight from the RPM plastic arms. They are so slender, this truck will be a good test of their strength.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    Made some big progress despite the bulkhead troubles. I dyed the chassis, removed the tires from the Axial Renegade wheels (15 minutes in 350 degree oven), painted the beadlock rings, mounted the tires on beadlocks, and finally mounted the rear end to the extended chassis.

I love these new arms

And finally I drilled the body to mount it.

I may need to raise the body and open the wheel wells a little so the tires don't rub.

If my weekend works out I may have this painted soon. I'm thinking, "Rough Riders"

Then I need to figure out a front bumper. The slash bumpers don't stick out far enough to be in front of the grill. Mmmm. . .
    And I'm also thinking hard about getting some Powerstroke shocks.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Enthusiast
    Temporary fix for the bumper: shave the upper hoop off of the stock bumper, then move the bumper forward and only use the two screws in the bulkhead. It isn't right, but that is how mine has been. Ultimately a custom bumper will be in order

RC Enthusiast
    Oh by the way, it really looks good. Nice work snicklefritz

RC Qualifier
    Take an RPM front bumper, and cut the skid right where it "turns up" at the front to bolt on the front part of the bumper on. Then bolt your choice of bumper to the RPM skid. I ran it this way for about a year.

RC Qualifier
    Nice, thanks guys!
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    Got the bumper mounted, thanks to some good advice. I used the RPM skid piece to mount to the bulkhead and the stock bumper mounted to that.

I drilled the RPM piece then mounted it to the bulkhead.

Then mounted the stock bumper with four screws and lock nuts. Voila!

Clearance is perfect and everything seems pretty solid. When I make it to the hardware store I can pick up some screws and nuts to go through the front of the stock bumper and attach to the "lip" of the RPM skid, with spacers between to keep everything in place.

Oh yeah, I added some body mounts off the side of the chassis where the nerfs should be. I hope this keeps the body from rattling around.

Next step - prep the body for paint. I'm not feeling it now but maybe I can do that tonight while watching football.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Enthusiast
    Aren't you gonna drive it for about a year prior to painting it?

RC Competitor
    thats a sweet truck man. thanks for sharing
    I race for fun, and boy is it fun to win

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Bobby View Post
    Aren't you gonna drive it for about a year prior to painting it?
    No. Not that there's anything wrong with that . . .

How you feeling today, Porky?
    I Wanna Go Fast!

Wow. Cool truck! How long is the truck from back bumper to front bumper?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde