RC Racer

wanting to upgrade motor /esc

so I am kinda wanting to upgrade but I really don't know what I need to consider I do realize that broken parts will happen much easier but I stilll want to upgrade. Tekin, mmm I don't know what is a good set up. Stock I seem to have plenty of power for crawling but I want the ability to go FAST!! I assume brushless is where I'm headed, or can I get a big fast brushed motor?

more questions to follow...hope I'm not breaking Traxxas rules AGAIN

RC Competitor

How fast are you looking to go?

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Hobbywing xerun 2000kv 21t motor + 150a SD esc $200. 2x gens ace 40c 5000 mah 2s lipos $70. That will get you goin
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Racer
    I don't have a exact speed in mind but I want more than I have now. What is a realistic top speed ? What is the top speed stock anyway? I'm thinking top speed stock is like 18mph? Is 30mph unrealistic 25mph??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 04zrx View Post
    I don't have a exact speed in mind but I want more than I have now. What is a realistic top speed ? What is the top speed stock anyway? I'm thinking top speed stock is like 18mph? Is 30mph unrealistic 25mph??
    I have gotten bout 57mph out of the setup I just posted above its fun tape your tires.
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Racer
    holey cow! that seems crazy fast,how does it crawl?

With a tekin perfect even when I ran the MMP it did well
    http://youtu.be/rayi1DgvzaA

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Crawls great the hobbywing is basically a tekin I heard they are made in the same factory? Any sensored system will crawl any mamba monster won't crawl
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by boston2612 View Post
    Crawls great the hobbywing is basically a tekin I heard they are made in the same factory? Any sensored system will crawl any mamba monster won't crawl

Lets not go crazy now. Power handling capability in the Tekin is much greater. There are guys over at RCTech that have pulled the boards of the esc apart and posted pics along with number and power capacity of the fets and the dual circuit boarded HK is much more similiar to the sensoreless dual circuitboarded mmm than the triple circuited boarded Tekin. Its been a while since I looked up the details but they are not the same. With this said all three systems are good. Im just a smooth running Tekin fan boy.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    ok, so there are a few votes for Tekin and sensored brushless is what I should be looking at? Correct? Are some more torque and some motors more speed or not really? Are there any motors that I should stay away from, that aren't good?

Jamann: what kind of speed are you getting with the setup in the vid?
    Noir: I'll see if I can find what you speak of at RC Tech, thank you!

thanks guys for helping me through this.

I never really GPS's it,but 40 sounds about right.easily could have gotten more with gearing but it just was a bit too much power for the crawling setup.
    http://youtu.be/-uaq4kovYl4

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 10-13-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    i purchased the ezrun WP SC8 combo for my summit and the first esc blew up within 2 days , igot a replacment and it also only lasted two days , the company is telling me there is a problem and alot of peole are returning them anyone else have this problem? i did like the system it was great but the reliability was a joke!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Lets not go crazy now. Power handling capability in the Tekin is much greater. There are guys over at RCTech that have pulled the boards of the esc apart and posted pics along with number and power capacity of the fets and the dual circuit boarded HK is much more similiar to the sensoreless dual circuitboarded mmm than the triple circuited boarded Tekin. Its been a while since I looked up the details but they are not the same. With this said all three systems are good. Im just a smooth running Tekin fan boy.
    Yes the Esc are much different but the Motors i have heard are exactly the same, same factory and everything
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkmann View Post
    i purchased the ezrun WP SC8 combo for my summit and the first esc blew up within 2 days , igot a replacment and it also only lasted two days , the company is telling me there is a problem and alot of peole are returning them anyone else have this problem? i did like the system it was great but the reliability was a joke!
    You got a ezrun its a sensorless prolly doesnt have enough low end and so it lurches and fries get a sensored setup hobbywing Xerun will be great!
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Enthusiast
    can i waterproof the xerun?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkmann View Post
    can i waterproof the xerun?
    You can waterproof anything (plastic- dip, silicone based protectants ) just time and patience.

Mmm and that china brand are easier, a tekin can be waterproofed but the leds, buttons, and the sight window makes it a bit tricky.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    can anyone help me? I'm very confused about motors ???kv is KV like horse power? What about Turns 2D, 1Y...??? what does it all mean?
    Last edited by 04zrx; 10-14-2012 at 07:54 AM.

RC Champion
    kv is rpm per volt applied
    so a 1000kv motor with 10v's would spin at 10000rpm(kv x v's = rpm )

the 2d 1y yd and all that stuff i think refers to the type of wineding the motor has somebody know
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Enthusiast
    i put my money down on a mamba monster , im going to drop it in mineral oil , keep the warrenty intact and keep it waterproof , also im not worried about heat as the monster does not get ttooo hott and my ezrun never got over 90'c

RC Champion
    ya you wont have to worrie about it turning on either the reason why water is conductive is that there are minirals in it
    so to add minarials oil to a curcit board is to short it out

not being mean just saying it in a neutral way
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

Quote Originally Posted by boston2612 View Post
    Yes the Esc are much different but the Motors i have heard are exactly the same, same factory and everything
    Good example of "Don't believe everything you read or hear."
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    ya you wont have to worrie about it turning on either the reason why water is conductive is that there are minirals in it
    so to add minarials oil to a curcit board is to short it out

not being mean just saying it in a neutral way

i understand , maybe do your research a bit better also check out youtube with a tekin rx8 ,, there have been plenty of people who have put escs in mineral oil to waterproof it or keep heat down main reason : most mineral oils are non conductive but if the box is too small then the heat can not be removed, creating an overheating unit ,

and on another note , my hobbywing escs didnt fry because of lurching or low end power , they were faulty escs the company told me this directly