RC Qualifier

Brushless motor for heavier pulling/dragging??

Do brushless motors do a better job of pulling/dragging than the stock 775?

If so, which sensorless one is best?
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

I am not so sure sensorless is going to be the way to go for pulling... the motor is going to be spinning at low revolutions and start cogging I would think.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    How much weight will you be pulling/dragging? And how fast do you want to pull or drag whatever you plan on pulling or dragging? Pulling kids in a wagon? or a spartan on a trailor? ect ect...

I have very limited experience with brushless motors but everything I have read says for slow controlled speed you want a sensored setup.

A dewalt with a low tooth count pinion may work well for you also. (They make down to an 8 tooth if speed isnt an issue) But no matter what motor you chose keep in mind you're going to be stressing the drive line beyond its engineered design.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect
    Last edited by happymachinist; 10-15-2012 at 08:44 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The reason I want sensorless is because it would be snowing and sensored motors need to be waterproofed which I don't want to do.

I want to pull my little one around in a sled, possibly both of the little ones and my nephew. They're 2, 6, and 5, about 20, 40, and 60 pounds.

Was thinking a rustler but the summit would be a lot more fun for the kids.

I want to keep the whole set up under $1500 Canadian, all I have in mind so far is 3.8 premounted sling shots/desperados, MIPs, shims, emaxx diff strengthening kits, and a new system that pulls faster than stock.

A few questions:
    Which shims are used for the summit?
    Are the MIPs a good upgrade for the summit?
    Would I need to upgrade the center drive-shaft to drag over 200 pounds in a sled or wagon?

Brushed may be the way to go for you...
    great at low speeds
    waterproof

I will let someone else chime in on shims... I have not done it. The FAQ does have some info though.

I have seem way too many MIP pretzels for me to invest in a set.
    Besides, I look at the stock axles as a cheap $7 fuse that keeps more expensive stuff from breaking.

I doubt you will have issues with the center driveshaft.

If I were to pull something like that, I would start out in low gear and shift into high once everything was moving.... gobs of torque in low and probably faster than you will want to go in high.
    If the stock motor is not enough for you... look into a DeWALT.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    to pull more weight....gear down! I've seen trucks running a single brushed 540 silver can motor pull over 200 pounds, because they were geared way down. i'm scared to see what a 775 could do geared down that much

RC Qualifier
    Thanks a lot man and good point about the cvds (good price for a weak point), I figured the MIPs weren't as good on the summit as other models because I don't see anyone bragging about them here.

Is there a place I can buy a dewalt, prepped and all ready to drop straight in? The dewalt is perfect, I just don't have the tools to make it work and wouldn't mind paying extra for someone else to do it.

Either way I still would like to shim the diffs and install that emaxx upgrade to make them stronger though.

RC Qualifier
    So Kershaw designs makes them and they come with a dual motor mount for later use I guess.

Should I get a 12 volt or 14.4 volt dewalt?

And does anyone know if two traxxas 550 brushed motors will fit in that kershaw dual motor mount?

RC Qualifier
    Does the emaxx upgrade consist of swapping out the entire diff including the housing and t-locks or just the gears inside? I have not heard of this before.

RC Qualifier
    I just heard of it last week, I actually have no idea how it works
    (I haven't read up about it yet) but it goes inside the diff, I'm not sure it it's even worth it for the summit.

RC Qualifier
    Cool I was just curious. Might have to do some reading myself. I don't plan on doing it but you never know. The quest for knowlege continues.

RC Champion
    i took my maxx and put a 775 evx-2 system in it. 18/72 is the best gear I could get to fit. Custom motor mount and I'm using a summit transmission with high low. pretty sweet deal! Since then I got a summit, it OBVIOUSLY does a better job at pulling and crawling but with my E-Maxx set up I can pull 40 lbs dead weight across concrete and I pull my 16 month old around in his little tykes plastic car without issues.

I have video and pictures if you would like to see them

as far as the diff upgrade, I dont have them and I havent had any issues yet. drive train is all stock traxxas parts - nothing upgraded at all
    "Red"

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'll look into the diff kit more too.

All stock, very nice, yeah post the video up.

RC Champion
    Movin' on up to a Summit are ya TQi? =)

RC Champion
    This isnt the best video - it was day one of build completion, wet grass and I dont like the summit tires for traction on anything but rocks. not to mention, I didnt know how to put the power to the ground. I will get a few more videos if you want me to. Just let me know what you want to see and I'll do what I can do film it.

http://s482.beta.photobucket.com/use...AD24D.mp4.html

Last edited by Redsawacs; 10-15-2012 at 11:26 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah f
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Movin' on up to a Summit are ya TQi? =)

Yeah I'm just having a hard time deciding, definitey getting a summit in a couple months, I just want it to be able to pull the kids around all winter with ease without any issues. Broken cvds once in a while is alright, just want the rest to be fairly solid and want it to be able to reach 30mph at least

Would really like to know how the mamba monster combo does at pulling weight, I'd preffer a sensorless brushless motor over anything else, less worries that way.

Nice video redsawacs

RC Qualifier
    Use the milwaukee brushless drill motor, the torque in that drill will break your wrists!! brushless DC motors are getting everywhere now.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Adam View Post
    Use the milwaukee brushless drill motor, the torque in that drill will break your wrists!! brushless DC motors are getting everywhere now.
    Yeah they should make them ready to go for rc trucks