RC poster

OptiDrive Operation FAULT ?

My reverse gear servo was binding a little so I decided the easy option was to reposition the top mount after re-setting the servo to neutral position with my handy servo tool.
    While I was undoing the little screw on top of the servo, I slipped and damaged the servo, wasn't so easy after all.
    I managed to get a Traxxas 2060 servo to replace the 2065, which fits and works just fine.

I span the spur gear by hand so that the OptiDrive would think the Revo is moving and then I shifted into reverse, it did ?, it shouldn't have...

I reset the transmitter and re-programed the OptiDrive as described in the manual, still shifts into reverse and forward gears while the blue OptiDrive light is flashing.
    I also tried running the revo and moving forward under engine power and shifting into reverse, it shifted. ?

I have replaced the OptiDrive sensor lead, now I have a spare... DOH

Can anyone help ??

Yeah. Get rid of the Opti-Drive and reverse. Though if you want reverse, you could get rid of the OD and make sure that you do not shift while moving.
    A majority of people go with a forward-only transmission.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    After reading an older thread, my OptiDrive might be faulty...

My throttle servo just packed up, I can drive the Revo as long as I don't shove it into reverse.

Im worried now that my steering servos might pack up as the OptiDrive may be the reason my throttle servo failed.

I might remove it completely and send it back to be checked and drive the revo without it.

RC Enthusiast
    did you check the opti drive sensor?and also in the trans. there is a reluctor gear that the opti-drive sensor reads.when all else fails go with the forward only conv.or just do away with the opti-drive.and just come too a complete stop before changing gears.hope this will help

RC poster
    Ok, after more investigation i have managed to check if the optidrive functions under throttle, all seems ok, it doesn't operate the reverse servo
    I have fitted a new sensor and my optidrive light flashes blue if I move the gearbox, simulating motion.

So I guess my optidrive is ok with the exception of one thing that bothers me,
    If I turn the gearbox by hand so my optidrive sences motion I can engage reverse, does this mean if I do top speed and just go to neutral on the controller and let the car coast, im thinking I could shift into reverse as the throttle will be at neutral...:/
    ( I don't really want to try out my theory )

Could someone please spin their slipper by hand so optidrive blue light flickers and select reverse to see if it operates the reverse gear.
    If it does then ill know its normal and I can stop looking at it as a problem.

The only other theory is that the optidrive sences engine speed/revs...therefore the reverse will operate.

Sorry to babble on. :0

RC Enthusiast
    lol, why dont you just try to not hit reverse unless you want to? haha

RC Competitor
    if the revo is rolling very slow it will shift..try pushing the revo on some concrete and try to shift it works best on a hill..mine will not shift until it slows down a bit but it will shift right before coming to a stop

RC poster
    Sound roughly the same as mine.

I was thinking if you reset the optidrive at a point of slight breaking instead of abdolute neutral, the optidrive will think the revo is still under throttle when it is actually at neutral and wont shift into reverse until you have the brake on, so even when rolling in neutral it wont shift into reverse.

I only shift into reverse on full brake anyway but it could safegurd your servo.

I don't mean set optidrive on full brake, just slighly off neutral.

What difference to the running of the car this would make I don't know until I try it, I'll wait for opinions first.

RC Qualifier
    i threw the stinking opti drive in the trash.but i kept rev .its simple DONT SWITCH IN REV WILE MOVING!you dont do it in your car its the same thing
    i see the world as driving terrain