RC Enthusiast

Revo slipper upgrade?

As im new to this so i maybe off track here but a lot of people talk about putting in a revo slipper in for a upgrade, is this for older models? dosnt the 4x4 VXL Brushless come with a Revo spec slipper already or is the revo one different.

Cheers

RC Qualifier
    The revo slipper has a larger diameter with makes it easier to set up and control how much slip you get. Some people use the alloy pads but I find the stock pads work just fine.

O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I upgraded both my P4de & Sl4sh to the Revo Slipper. I went with the alloy pads. It's a night & day difference especially in Big Power setups.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Better clutch control and it will dissipate heat better.go with the alu pads they are better than stock by miles..peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    seems like rego the go but what i was trying to say dosnt the VXL already come with it?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by emery67 View Post
    seems like rego the go but what i was trying to say dosnt the VXL already come with it?
    Nope...It's a Hop-up!

Then there is this one... The Robinson Gen 3
    Last edited by beetroot72; 10-13-2012 at 04:26 AM.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Champion
    The revo spec slipper was the best upgrade I ever did besides motor combo!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Competitor
    I would actually advise against the Revo clutch upgrade. Buy the Revo aluminum pads and put them on the stock clutch. Take a look at the photos above, you will notice that the pressure plate that holds the pads for the Revo version has the mounting screws for the spur gear below where the pads sit and that the framework is rather meager (its a cheap soft cast aluminum, and there's not much size to add strength). I did this upgrade and actually had the pressure plate bend and then eventually crack. The stock pressure plate has the mounting screws for the spur gear directly behind where the pads sit, thus they are supported even under high pressure (with high powered setups you will need go tighter than you would with a lower power motor).

I used the aluminum pads on the stock pressure plates and slip ring without any issue. Also notice that the stock rear pressure plate is shaped differently, it has a collar that sticks out around the shaft where the Revo pressure plate does not. I noticed that the spur gear moves forward and backwards about 2mm vs 1mm with the stock plate. That means less contact area between the pinion and spur. I have noticed no difference in performance between the two pressure plates (in terms of how they slip) other than the stock one hangs in there like a champ and provides less slop. So spend the 9$ on the aluminum pads and save the other 10$ and lower the possibility of failure by keeping the stock pressure plates and rings (pads are the same size for all of that style of traxxas clutches).

I just use the aluminum pads on the stock clutch hub and plate. For me the stock pads seemed some what unpredictable, sometimes the clutch would slip more than other times and they seemed to be heat sensitive so how much the clutch slipped or grabbed changed as the run progressed and the clutch built up heat. With the aluminum pads the clutch feels more constant and does not seem to change from run to run or from beginning of run to end of run.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Can you buy the aluminum pads separately? If so, what's the part number?
    I play til something breaks

RC Qualifier
    The part number is 5352R Rebuild kit (heavy duty), slipper clutch (steel disc/ aluminum
    friction pads (3)/ spring, Revo (1)/ spring, Maxx (1)/ 2x9.8mm
    pin/ 5x8mm MW/ 5.0mm NL (1)/ 4.0mm NL (1)) ............................. $9.50

Copied from the PDF P4de parts list.
    ERBE, Sl4sh MT, P4de, 1/16 Grave Digger 4x4

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Strykeviper;5309722]The part number is 5352R Rebuild kit (heavy duty), slipper clutch (steel disc/ aluminum

I boutht that but haven't put it in yet because it doesn't have the bigger flywheel or whatever you call the thing the disc and pads mount to. I need to figure out what part that is and buy it.]

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Strykeviper View Post
    The part number is 5352R Rebuild kit (heavy duty), slipper clutch (steel disc/ aluminum

I boutht that but haven't put it in yet because it doesn't have the bigger flywheel or whatever you call the thing the disc and pads mount to. I need to figure out what part that is and buy it.]
    TRA5351 is the Pressure plate.

TRA5352R is the aluminum pads.
    ERBE, Sl4sh MT, P4de, 1/16 Grave Digger 4x4

RC Competitor
    You don't need the larger steel disk. Just use everything stock slipper except the alu pads. All pads are the same size weather they are used on the larger or the smaller disks.

I love my revo slipper set up and no probs so far but i would have just changed the pads if i would have known this..peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!