Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Controller Range Problem

Hey guys I need some help. The range on my Merv has slowely goten worse since I got it a couple months ago. I can only drive the car about 15 yards away before its out of range. I have replaced the batterys in the controller many times and that does nothing. I checked the anntena on the truck and there is a metal rod on the end of the wire that sticks up about half way through the tube. I have a VXL Summit and there is a wire on that one that folds over the top. Any Tips?

RC Racer
    i have the same issue and not found any solutions. i've checked everything. im fearing a new transmitter and receiver will be needed

RC Enthusiast
    If no one on here gives me and leads im going to call traxxas and I will post on here what they tell me

RC Racer
    i thought about that,but it would drive me nuts just sitting around waiting. its a shame to. only had this thing 2 months

sounds like you have a bunk tx/rx

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    There is supposed to be about an inch of wire past the metal section of your receiver antenna.

This is the actual part that does most of the communication... without it, range suffers.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    +1 to Jimmie. I had that problem and when I looked closer I noticed that white tip was gone. Probably from roof sledding. I had to by a new rec n I capped that tip with a brass barrel n friction tape. No more problems. The metal part can't. Real either or you'll have the same problem.
    BB MERV/T8 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

For some it is cheaper to get a Rx off from eBay...
    for others it is cheaper to use Traxxas' lifetime warranty program:
    http://traxxas.com/support/Warranty-...ge-Electronics

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the help. I called traxxas and am getting it replaced. Traxxas customer support is amazing!

RC Racer
    well ill be. thanks jimmie. i did not know that and mine isnt there. how could i fix that. solder a wire on there? like some speaker wire
    Last edited by ptsdisntfun; 10-12-2012 at 07:08 PM.

You would have to solder a micro coaxial wire that is specifically for antennas directly to the very small areas on the circuit board. I have tried sourcing antennas before without any luck... and I am not sure I could solder it well enough to do any good.

So in short, speaker wire will not work.

I ended up sending it in and getting a replacement for $30ish.

RC Racer
    are you talking about the end of the antenna wire, where the metal cap it. its coming out of there. that where there should be a wire.

Yes. That wire is a part of the entire wire that goes inside of the receiver. Any breaks in this wire will reduce range... soldering speaker wire on there probably will not work and I am not sure Traxxas will honor the lifetime replacement if you attempt to fix it.

RC Racer
    im going to give it a worl. if it works good,if not im just going to get a fly sky system next month. im trying in now. my soldering skills are not the best

ok. i soldered about of 1 inch of copper wire twisted right on top of the metal part of the antenna. double checked to see if i still have signal in the house, and is good. ill post how it works tomorow.
    i thought about sending it in, but it would solve anything next time it breaks off
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-13-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: post merge

That is what I am running in all my RC's now... FS!!
    If I mess a Rx up... I am out a whopping $7-10 for a 3 channel... $10-15 for a 8 channel.
    If the controller messes up... new ones are available for $30-40.

BTW, I hack all of mine with OverkillRC's hack kit... fixes all of the stock issues and adds all of the high dollar features PLUS some!! Best $25ish you can spend on your remote... as it can be used over and over again.

I bought the wheel bearing, the VR mod so I can run a 3S LiPo for power, and the complete hack kit.
    Since you are not the greatest at soldering, PM me and I can walk you through a solderless process to hacking.

RC Racer
    thanks jimmie. i didnt know about the hack kit. ok so that looks complicated.
    i was also thinking of the gt3c.
    the 3c come with lipo battery for tx
    i dont need all the super duper fance stuff.
    Last edited by ptsdisntfun; 10-12-2012 at 09:05 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    There is supposed to be about an inch of wire past the metal section of your receiver antenna.

This is the actual part that does most of the communication... without it, range suffers.
    this is what I replaced to fix my range prob. -My son broke off the end bit of co-ax.
    1/16 EREVO, 1/10 SUMMIT

RC Racer
    solder some coper wire on the end of mine. have to try it today c if it works

Quote Originally Posted by ptsdisntfun View Post
    thanks jimmie. i didnt know about the hack kit. ok so that looks complicated.
    i was also thinking of the gt3c.
    the 3c come with lipo battery for tx
    i dont need all the super duper fance stuff.
    There are too many issues with the GT3C...
    the power button wires and the steering wheel wires like to break; just to name two.

The hack kit is not that complicated... I can do it now in less than 15 minutes. The kit comes with very detailed, pictured, instructions. It fixes the issue with expo and a few others I cannot remember with the GT3B... you don't have to use any of the special features if you don't want to.

RC Racer
    well my soldering didnt help any, its a shame that a 50cent wire would cause so much issues.

thanks jimmie for the info. i found a gt3b for 36, or i found that hack kit and he sells them hacked for 50,but say out of stock.
    have to keep my eyes out and maybe go that route.
    what kind of antena's do those come with. that one ? im dont know about, is if its longer how to run antena so new one doesnt get broke

If you are interested in a pre-hacked radio, just send him an email... you may get one built just for you.

The antenna on the radio or the receiver?
    Both are about the same length... can you show a picture of how you have yours mounted??

RC Racer
    thanks jimmie. the antena coming out of the receiver. i like how the stock receiver antena is really short. work space is kinda tight in these things.

RC Racer
    whats the issues i need to know about with the gt3b. ive read about the xpo. can i run it out of the box. or is it a need right away fix.

If you don't use the expo I think you would be fine.
    I never used a stock GT3B in an RC. lol

RC Racer
    thanks jimmie, youve been a big help. im goin to have to think about it all. im on disability so funding is always and issue.
    not sure if going with fs is worth the extra issues. with some tweaking,hacking, gt3b seems good but 8 AA
    with the button fix i like the gt3c.
    so not sure, i could go more $ and go spect dx3c. seems like a nice choice
    or could get new stock rx. 35$. then just find a way to proctect new wire.

not sure, kinda got overwelmed with choices. i like buying stuff that just works, but dont mind tweaking to make better. wish i didnt have this ptsd crap. brain dont work right

There are definitely LOTS of choices... it does get difficult trying to decide what is best for you.
    Take your time... I am sure the correct decision will make itself relevant soon enough.

RC poster
    im having the same problem. i had my erevo over a year now so i dont think i can claim a warranty. i am having range problems. everything seems normal even installed new batteries. do i just replace the link and controller? any recommendations on a controller upgrade?

RC Racer
    its the link, is the tip of your antena gone. past the metal part

Quote Originally Posted by Bout It View Post
    im having the same problem. i had my erevo over a year now so i dont think i can claim a warranty. i am having range problems. everything seems normal even installed new batteries. do i just replace the link and controller? any recommendations on a controller upgrade?
    Traxxas has a lifetime replacement program, as mentioned in post 8:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5308289

RC Racer
    i just spliced the antena and attached a am antena wire u had and it helped. i just walked around with the car in my hand and had good range. gona test and tweak it today. ill let everone know how it goes.

RC Racer
    works good, but dont trust it all the way

RC poster

rc pic by southcentralplayer, on Flickr so the top part of my antenna broke off so i just pulled the rest of it out from the receiver box and tried it again but still no long distance range. any way to fix this or do i have to buy a new receiver?

RC Qualifier
    You need a new receiver. The metal end with the small wire at the end are important, check the market place here on the forum I think there are a couple for sale for 20-30 dollars, but yea that broken wire I see in the photo is no good.

Sent from my iPhone 5

The part of the antenna that actually does the work is missing... the last 3-4cm is all that receives the signal.
    The rest is just an extension so it can be routed.

New receiver is in order... unless you are good at soldering.

This thread might be of interest to you:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread....4ghz-receiver.

RC Champion
    I have an old tq radio. I just soldered a wire on and it helped. It doesn't fit through the antenna tube very well now but it does fit.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

Most, if not all, of Traxxas radios have "TQ" on them... so "old TQ" is really vague.

Bout It has a 2218x receiver... any old wire will not work. It has to be micro coaxial and the exposed core needs to be a specific length.

RC Champion
    The am tq radio. The antenna is probably about 6 inches shorter than it should be. I can still get over 50 yards of range though.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC poster
    I may just order a new receiver. i tried to claim warranty but got this from Traxxas:
    It sounds like you need to send the transmitter and receiver in to us for inspection and repair. There is a 30 day warranty on all Traxxas electronics. Beyond that you can take advantage of the extended warranty. Under that program there is a repair charge of $15 for a transmitter or receiver Shipping to Guam would be $15." It would also cost me money to send it out

PIC_1077 by southcentralplayer, on Flickr

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Buy a new set on ebay you can find both for pretty cheap

RC Qualifier
    the reason soldering a wire on is because 2.4ghz has a certain wavelength and if the receiver antenna isnt the right lenght then it wont increase ur range. im guessing if u soldered the exact right length on it might help some but im not sure