Thread: diff oil??

RC Competitor

diff oil??

i have a stampede 4x4 and i do mostly short course on dirt track. I have a problem going into turns and even on some straight shots that if i give it a lot of throttle the rear just spins out from behind. I have 50k fluid in both differentials and was wondering if that could be my problem???

RC Enthusiast
    Tryes? maybe

Maybe try 50 in the front and 30 in the back and look at sway bars,tyres.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Try more throttle control lol
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Qualifier
    Tires are a must,I run JC Subcultures on 2.8 Desperadoes.Center diff with 50k and 30k in rear.Just suctions that have helped me.My track is dry and dusty,I try to do all my breaking before the corner then roll through.The center diff will help you get on the throttle sooner coming out of corner. When you break traction on the straight away the center diff will act like front wheel drive and help you keep it straight.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Competitor
    yeah i was thinking tires too been looking at trenchers and okay i'll try the that diff oil combo...and i do throttle control but if you can get on the throttle more faster you will get faster laps babying around the track isn't fun

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Maybe try 50 in the front and 30 in the back and look at sway bars,tyres.....peace
    I use 50k front 30k in rear and it works well for me. Typical set up for a 4wd off road truck is to have heavier oil in front diff than rear.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    One thing about the center diff, its not cheap A main price is 39.00.It comes with 100k installed in it. The diff cup itself, is plastic and can fail. I invested in a aluminum diff cup from FLM, that will set you back another 23.00. Not trying to deter you from buying one, Just a heads up on cost. I only use mine when I'm at the track.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I use 50k front 30k in rear and it works well for me. Typical set up for a 4wd off road truck is to have heavier oil in front diff than rear.
    Thanks dad i am learning all this stuff for guys like you dude.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    50 k 30 k works real well in a p4de and mabey some one has said this mabey a softer spring or shock oil to help keep the back planted also your working with a short wheel base for the type of racing you doing

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    50 k 30 k works real well in a p4de and maybe some one has said this maybe a softer spring or shock oil to help keep the back planted also your working with a short wheel base for the type of racing you doing
    Very well noted. To my disbelief a softer rear spring worked at my track. I went from a Losi blue 2.5" 4.1 to a silver 2.5" 3.4 rate. Note this is in a Slash 4x4 MT with 2.8 Subcultures but the principles are the same. It seems like a lot of people are overly concerned about the chassis slap.But I feel the race is won in the corners and not to over drive your truck. I am no hard core racer and I'm sure somebody could give more insight on this subject.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    Very well noted. To my disbelief a softer rear spring worked at my track. I went from a Losi blue 2.5" 4.1 to a silver 2.5" 3.4 rate. Note this is in a Slash 4x4 MT with 2.8 Subcultures but the principles are the same. It seems like a lot of people are overly concerned about the chassis slap.But I feel the race is won in the corners and not to over drive your truck. I am no hard core racer and I'm sure somebody could give more insight on this subject.
    i agree with you on the corners along with jump landings. I only run a 7.4v 2s lipo and i think that is plenty rarely am i running full speed and don't see the point in having to run a 3s. Yeah i would get better acceleration but not really cause you can only supply the same power no matter what to the tires without spinning out or flipping so

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Quote Originally Posted by ITh4n4tosI View Post
    yeah i was thinking tires too been looking at trenchers and okay i'll try the that diff oil combo...and i do throttle control but if you can get on the throttle more faster you will get faster laps babying around the track isn't fun
    I hear yah about babying it. Lowering the wt of the rear diff oil will reduce the tendency of the rear to walk out. You will be able to give a little more throttle before things get funky. Swapping the slipper out for a center diff will let you give much more throttle. You will lose a bit of the out of the hole acceleration upon corner exit, but will have a much more stable truck under power, and gain control. The overall drive will be smoother, and smooth is fast when it comes to reducing lap times. You wont have to baby it nearly as much.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I hear yah about babying it. Lowering the wt of the rear diff oil will reduce the tendency of the rear to walk out. You will be able to give a little more throttle before things get funky. Swapping the slipper out for a center diff will let you give much more throttle. You will lose a bit of the out of the hole acceleration upon corner exit, but will have a much more stable truck under power, and gain control. The overall drive will be smoother, and smooth is fast when it comes to reducing lap times. You wont have to baby it nearly as much.
    Center Diff? How do you do that conversion and how much is it? does it just take the place of the clutch assembly??