RC Racer

need some help with my e revo 1/16

Hello guys,
    I'm an entusiast girl in this amazing hobby, so please be patient with me, and also with my english (I'm from Argentina)
    I got an e revo a few months ago and I love it.
    I have two problems with it right now
    First, I don't know why, but when my merv goes backward moves like crazy, Im uploading a video so you can see what I'm talking about

Maybe you know the reason why and I will appreciate if you tell me

And second, I just bought a HS-85mg+ servo, and cut one of the white pieces that came whit it to make a horn that fits whit my merv, but aparently I did it wrong, because it turns more for a side than the other one, here some pictures.

To this side it turns more
    http://imageshack.us/a/img833/977/img0536ec.jpg
    than to this side
    http://imageshack.us/a/img690/6494/img0548fej.jpg
    And here my horns
    http://imageshack.us/a/img21/7416/img0535jf.jpg
    And I ordered a blue half metal horn that fits the new servo, but I have to make a hole so it can fits the revo, so I'm just asking you guys if you can give me your opinions where do I have to make the hole in the blue horn, becouse I think that in the white one I make it too close, maybe thats why it didn't turn to both sides equally. The black one is the stock one.
    Thanks!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    One problem is the shaft on the hitec is not in the same position as the stock servo. I made a longer link from the horn to the servo saver. You can take 2 end links and cut a 2.5mm bolt for the center
    on the horn try to have the same distance as the stock horn

How is the speed in forward? Does it have good power?
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-11-2012 at 10:23 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    One problem is the shaft on the hitec is not in the same position as the stock servo. I made a longer link from the horn to the servo saver
    thank you!
    that is really helpful
    And do you have any ideas why it goes like crazy when it goes backwards, becouse frontward it goes fine
    Last edited by agosb; 10-11-2012 at 10:23 PM.

RC Racer
    i would try rebinding the reciever and esc. where you hold esc button down for green then red. one blink squize trigger second blink push trigger for reverse. might reset end point for reverse endpoint.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Have you switched the motor wires and then reversed the power in the transmitter?

RC Racer
    no, the only thing I have changed in the transmitter was reversing the servo, and i Didn't change any wires

And yes, for the frontward it has excellent power, run as fast as always

the problem is when it goes backward but at some considerable speed, becouse when it move slowly it doesn't do that crazy movement
    Last edited by agosb; 10-11-2012 at 10:35 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I couldn't wait to upgrade the esc. Never liked that much reverse power either now I have a Mamba max pro and have reverse set at 25%
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-11-2012 at 10:38 PM.

RC Racer
    congratulations, you have a really upgraded merv!
    I don't really care that my revo has that crazy movement when it goes backwards, what Im afraid is if that is going to brake some part of it. If it won't maybe it will fix when I upgrade my mere, I'm waiting some parts for it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks!
    Just be sure your slipper clutch is not too tight and slips a bit. That will take some stress out. Tighten all the way in then 3/4 turn out is a good starting point

RC Racer
    I've never adjust the slipper clutch, I have it at it came as factory, I'm going to do that likewise. Thanks!
    Tomorrow I'll comment how it goes to me!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds good. And welcome!

RC Qualifier
    My Merv does the same thing going backwards and I bet 90% of everyone else's does to. It has to do with the slop in the rod ends and physics!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxximum Overdive View Post
    My Merv does the same thing going backwards and I bet 90% of everyone else's does to. It has to do with the slop in the rod ends and physics!
    I'm pretty sure that my merv didn't do that the first month I bought it, thats why I'm asking why that effect appears on it after a few months of use.
    Like I said, I don't really care about that while it won't break some part! It is really expensive and complicated to get accesories in my country

RC Enthusiast
    I had the same problem until i shimed the diff

RC Qualifier
    The ends of the factory rods wear out fast in the beginning. Changing to steel hollow balls will help considerably but the geometry of the car is designed to perform forward. Drive a 1:1 backwards real fast first in a car then a truck, big difference. But a forklift now that's a different story. Reverse doughnuts in the snow look better then forward, lol.
    BB MERV/T8 Rusty/OS21REVO
    Drive it like its Hot

RC poster
    hi i have a merv too and had similar problems
    steering wobble

it has more reasons as i discovered
    i think what you experiencing is the simmilar thing as i had.
    here are the biggest problems i discovered:
    1. the metal turnbuckles helped but not as much as i hoped
    2. the Traxxas Axle Carriers are terrible the worst ive seen on an rtr (the car has more steering play as the big E-revo)
    so i changed them for metal ones (GPM) didnt help much
    so i decided to order some rpm along with the RPM Front Suspension Arms and that removed the wobble almost completly.
    3. the Traxxas servo is a piece of junk the gears got stripped after 3 runns. so i decided to go for the HS 5085MG now im working on the metal servoarms like you. will post some pix.
    finaly i have a video of the wobble on the left are the RPM axle set and carriers and on the right are the stock ones (for the video the steering was disconnected from the servo and fixed so you can see the wobble in the axles only
    i think you experience this for the car is rear steered when you are in reverse and that is more responsive to the steering
    Last edited by stepnyVLK; 03-26-2013 at 05:16 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    The car might not be aligned properly. My merv does that and so do my other rc's

RC Qualifier
    Step, what you are getting is the steering servo saver rocking on the post. Flip the car over and move the wheels and you'll see the assembly rocking. Try bearings and shimming it, to take some of the play out of the post.

@agosb Make sure you aren't double pumping the trigger for the brakes. When slowing and using the brakes, they work normally, (when only pushed once) but when pushed twice, it will go full speed backwards. The ESC has safeguards built in, delays, to keep people from doing this, but you can sort of override them, by double pumping the brakes, causing it to go full speed backwards. Especially when it's barely rolling forwards. Tough on the difs for sure. I use the same controller on my Maxx, and am used to lightly pumping the brakes during hard braking, and I do this everytime I drive the mini revo after driving the Maxx.

RC Qualifier
    My 1/10 4x4 stampede does that too when going backwards at high speed. I would not worry about it.

RC poster
    the steering is fixed on the wide you cant see it becaus its from the down side
    that means the same conditions for both sides and on the left side where the rpm arms and axle carrier is there is significantly less wobble on the rigth are the sotck A rms and GMP axle carrier that had about the same play as the traxxas one the car had about 3 runns to it and no hard landings from big jumps or so...
    the standard front upper A arms had about a 1mm play from start i fixed it with bushings but the RPM arm removed it completly
    the steering is my next thing to focus on i wanted to change it for a metal steering but after getting the GPM alluminium axle arms i found out that not all alluminium parts=bether performance

the RPM parts rock have to see for the wear on them
    do you guys have some advice for good metal steering replacement for the traxxas one?

i just noticed that the metal balls on the linkages have some play to them GPM crap
    can you recomend som egood metal ones to replace?

thx for the steering advice