RC Racer

Small Lightweight Camera for the Merv

Does anyone have any idea's of a very small lightweight easy to mount camera for the merv.

I was looking at something like this.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/Mini-HD...r_p105244.html

RC Champion
    Intel Spy.com has some cool cameras that are small and lightweight, too.

I found this one on Nitro Planes.com, too:

Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    There are a few Keychain cameras out there, which really are the size of a remote for your car. They are a lot less than you $49.99 one your linking to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Spy-Camera-...item4aacaccfdc

or check out all of these

http://www.hobbypartz.com/gadgets.html
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Competitor
    I have one of the Keychain camera's and its awesome for the price and size. Make sure you get the 1280x960 video resolution camera, not the 720x480 video resolution. The 1280x960 is great quality and way worth the money. The 720x480 is way too choppy and nasty lookin when watched.
    E-Revo - - Merv 5700kv Sv2

RC Qualifier
    Does anybody out there use the GoPro camera?
    Are the tires supposta to blow off going into 2nd?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.T. View Post
    Keychain camera
    this is a total waste of money

[img]*************************/t/IMG_8377.jpg[/img]

look what you will get:

if you want a quality video - get a gopro hd hero

[img]*************************/t/IMG11416.jpg[/img] [img]*************************/t/IMG11421.jpg[/img]
    [img]*************************/t/IMG11432.jpg[/img] [img]*************************/t/IMG11463.jpg[/img]

what i like in this camera
    1. wide angle makes the video less receptive to shaking
    2. 60fps makes the video real smooth - it's very good when there's lots of movements and shaking

you may find some of my gopro vids here: *************************/v/
    you can also watch the youtube with his 25fps and then download the .AVI version with 60fps and compare to see what i'm talking about

you can get even better result with a "real" camera with wide angle lens and optical stabilisation. but it's very heavy - have to be VERY carefull in the corners with such a high COG

[img]*************************/t/IMG_5578.jpg[/img] [img]*************************/t/IMG_5579.jpg[/img]
    [img]*************************/t/IMG_5575.jpg[/img] [img]*************************/t/IMG_5581.jpg[/img]

here's the result: *************************/v/#10
    My mini E-Revo.net and the BIG ERevo.net

RC Qualifier
    I have one of the keychain cameras and my video came out pretty decent for it almost being dark outside, you must have got one of the first ones made Evgen. If you do your research and make sure you get a newer version they are worth the cheap 10-15 bucks. I have #3 which is the best one they made cause you can easily change the time/date stamp and video quality is excellent for only paying 10 bucks!!!

RC Competitor
    The keychain camera I have is not that bad at all. We use it on our planes as well.

E-Revo - - Merv 5700kv Sv2

RC Racer
    Hi Guys, thanks for that, i like the look of the USB Pen style camera, has anyone tried these and how easy are they to mount, the go pro HD is a little over kill for what i need.

Just looking for a middle of the road style camera up to $50 which is easy to mount to the merv with HD video.

RC Qualifier
    If your willing to spend 50 do a search on ebay for 'hd keychain camera' they are 40 bucks and take 720p video and have a 5mp camera. I almost wish i would've got that one!

RC Racer
    Hi...yes most of the camera forums are saying that the best out there at present is the Keychain 808 #11 HD - the video display looks extremely good, and exceptional under low light conditions. It's True 720p and not upscalled like 90% on the market..it also has very good audio. Think i'll go for this one.

RC Qualifier
    There are 14 versions or more of the 808keychain camera. If you google before you buy you can get one with quality like the plane video.

RC Competitor
    I want one that transmits real time video to my desktop PC, android phone or ipod touch while I'm driving it from the comfort and sheer laziness of my home
    Anyone found a good one that fits the mini revo like this? With 720p maybe... I'm thinking a WiFi version might have crappy range. Might need something 1.2ghz, 900mhz and deal with the added interference?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunlasers View Post
    I want one that transmits real time video to my desktop PC, android phone or ipod touch while I'm driving it from the comfort and sheer laziness of my home
    Anyone found a good one that fits the mini revo like this? With 720p maybe... I'm thinking a WiFi version might have crappy range. Might need something 1.2ghz, 900mhz and deal with the added interference?
    OK.

RC Qualifier
    I haven't driven my MERV yet but I have mounted an FPV system to my e-maxx, the problem I'm having with an FPV system on a car is the pavement seems to create problems with the video transmitting range. The system will mount to the MERV but the gopro is a little bit of a long shot on the 1/16, even the e-maxx is a little top heavy using a gopro, I'm thinking about building a 5th scale for the purpose of FPV. The FPV system is really fun to play with I've held my gopro in hand and walked around wearing the FPV goggles. I intend on flying an airplane and quad-copter with the camera but I've been behind on building things that fly. I'll upload the video the black edition gopro really doesn't disappoint. For the MERV I do suggest a small camera, the $50 keychain has pretty decent picture and can be used for FPV if desired. Also if you search "HD wing camera" that's a pretty good camera for the weight. I'll upload the e-maxx FPV video as soon as I trim off the 10 minutes of useless footage, sitting there with a dead battery.
    I like turtles.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipher_Jones View Post
    OK.
    Cool video, like the little driver guy too!

What camera set up is that? What kind of range do you figure you get with it?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Meebert View Post
    I haven't driven my MERV yet but I have mounted an FPV system to my e-maxx, the problem I'm having with an FPV system on a car is the pavement seems to create problems with the video transmitting range. The system will mount to the MERV but the gopro is a little bit of a long shot on the 1/16, even the e-maxx is a little top heavy using a gopro, I'm thinking about building a 5th scale for the purpose of FPV. The FPV system is really fun to play with I've held my gopro in hand and walked around wearing the FPV goggles. I intend on flying an airplane and quad-copter with the camera but I've been behind on building things that fly. I'll upload the video the black edition gopro really doesn't disappoint. For the MERV I do suggest a small camera, the $50 keychain has pretty decent picture and can be used for FPV if desired. Also if you search "HD wing camera" that's a pretty good camera for the weight. I'll upload the e-maxx FPV video as soon as I trim off the 10 minutes of useless footage, sitting there with a dead battery.
    I'll likely have to go with someone small as you've mentioned... even if it's not 720p, I'd trade a little quality for being able to fit it on the MERV and also view in real time. But certainly nothing less than 480 pixel. 720p would be perfect for me for this purpose.

RC Qualifier
    looking at the footage I would recommend the wing cam
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kn1W6eFixc
    I like turtles.

RC Competitor
    The video looks great but the wing cams I'm finding only record and watch later, is there one with a transmitter for live viewing?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunlasers View Post
    The video looks great but the wing cams I'm finding only record and watch later, is there one with a transmitter for live viewing?
    I was under the impression the 1080p had live video output but reading the specs I did not read that as a fact, b ut reading coments in the discussion the 720p version can be used for FPV

Quote Originally Posted by a random guy on the internet
    For all who want to use this camera as FPV-cam while recording - read this! Normally you wonīt get any live view at the TV-OUT while recording but I found out a little trick how it does work: - switch on the camera - wait until itīs initialized (long vibration) - set it motion detection video mode (press on/off button twice untile yellow and blue leds will be on) - plug in your AV-plug - wait for a short time until you will see the live view on your Display/TV ! The following steps must be done very fast, if you do this too slow, the camera will switch off ! - pull out your AV-plug - set camera to video mode (press on/off button twice untile only blue led will be on) - plug in your AV-plug again This has to be done very fast, otherwise the camera will switch off! Now you can push the record button to start recording while AV-Out gives live view signal for your transmitter.
    edit, reading your comment again the transmitters are not integrated, there are a couple of cameras with basic transmitters included but I don't think any are built into one unit. It's better to buy a legitimate transmitter and receiver. FPV goggles aren't necessary either there are portable DVD players that accept RCA input cables, if you're using FPV goggles it's nice to have a separate screen if you are with a friend that way they don't have to awkwardly watch you wear goggles and pretend they're having fun doing nothing.
    Last edited by Meebert; 03-28-2013 at 07:20 PM.
    I like turtles.