RC Racer

Lightbulb engineer challenge

well another day sitting here on my pain meds when i thought to myself "why doesnt someone do a hubless type setup for an rc car like they do for motorcycles" and i thought i would ask you guys that are mechanically inclined and have spare parts laying around to see if you could build a "hubless" type setup for a shelf queen or show car not necessarily a basher but i think it would be possible since it is done on choppers that actually work.

RC Champion
    What do you mean by hubless? Can you post an example?
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Racer
    sorry i forgot to post pics. all pics are courtesy of google images

RC Racer
    i dont know if it would be possible for an rc car but i would be a new innovative type style because i know its done on motorcycles and if you could do it on a rc car i think you could almost make money selling "kits" to do it if you wanted. i personally just think itd look cool for those of yall that have show type rc cars or for those that have the urge to have a one of a kind rc car thats like no other

RC Champion
    One flaw... there is no way you could have suspension. I suppose you don't need suspension for a shelf queen anyway

RC Racer
    i know thats why i said its for a shelf queen not a basher. As innovative as most of yall are im sure someone could hook up a "suspension" on it to.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    One flaw... there is no way you could have suspension. I suppose you don't need suspension for a shelf queen anyway
    Why not? The hub (these are not really hubless) would still attach to the a arms in some manner. The suspension is attached to the a arms.
    Rustler-3.3,Revo-Hyper .21,Jato-3.3
    lots of mods

RC Champion
    How would you drive the hub though? I guess if you ran the axle down to the carrier but put a gear on it or something that drove a gear on the edge of the wheel, you could maintain your suspension.

RC Champion
    Let's think about this shall we? Haha. It's impossible to have a wheel without a hub of some type unless you figure out something with magnetic forces or something.
    You could come out from the inside of the wheel with some type of brace that could mount to the suspension.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Racer
    if you could do it with a gear on the outside of the rim and use another pinion type gear you could in theory increase the speed by adding "another gear" at each wheel which might result in those 130mph area which some seek. i dont know if this is more than a guy hopped up on pain meds crazy idea or it might actually be plausible and possible if someone has some spare rims and and spur gears. also another crazy idea if you had a spur gear on the front wheels with a "belt" running to a larger spur gear on the rear wheels could you not great another gearing setup that would cause the rear wheels to turn faster therefore pushing the rc car faster? no mind you this is all a giant crazy idea in my head that i have no idea how i could accomplish but maybe if i voice these crazy ideas two things will happy...1 ill get more that are even crazier. and 2 ill get more that are more likely to work and someone on here could make it reality.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    Let's think about this shall we? Haha. It's impossible to have a wheel without a hub of some type unless you figure out something with magnetic forces or something.
    You could come out from the inside of the wheel with some type of brace that could mount to the suspension.
    The point it to make it appear as if it's hubless. No one said the hub has to be in the center. I was thinking the wheel would be one big hub and you could support it like a planetary gearing system with multiple little gears holding the big gear (wheel) in place.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2010...sign-from.html

as you can see from this link it shows a good representation of it being done to a bicycle. you see the pictures i posted and can see its been done to a motorcycle and if you google "hubless wheels" you can see plenty of different applications and designs for doing a hubless wheel. My question is if someone could do it to an RC car.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrcdy View Post
    http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2010...sign-from.html

as you can see from this link it shows a good representation of it being done to a bicycle. you see the pictures i posted and can see its been done to a motorcycle and if you google "hubless wheels" you can see plenty of different applications and designs for doing a hubless wheel. My question is if someone could do it to an RC car.
    Oh ok I got you guys, I was thinking you were meaning nothing directly attached to the wheel.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Racer
    Its considered hub less because there is nothing in the middle of the wheel as you can see from the website and the pictures. I was wondering if someone could do it with an rc car.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrcdy View Post
    Its considered hub less because there is nothing in the middle of the wheel as you can see from the website and the pictures. I was wondering if someone could do it with an rc car.
    1. With the inner hub so large you would require a lot of bearings (more bearings=less efficiency). If it's one thing that's probably one of the most important things in your RC is that it is efficient.

2. No suspension... I see parts breakage easy.

3. Dirt contaminating the bearings.... The bearings are so very close to the ground, so for offroad use it's definitely a no no....

But it does look awesome on a chopper.... For a chopper, looks are everything, performance,,,, not so much...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    like i said in a previous post its for a show car or shelf queen by no means a basher.