RC Racer

Hardening ring and pinion gears- TRA5379X

Has anyone ever tried to harden these to make them last a lil longer? If so, how did you do it? What temp did you get them to before cooling them, and what did you use to cool them?

I am so tired of replacing these things!! I have 2 extra diffs and when one goes, i just replace the whole diff, then rebuild the busted one later. Works, but still getting old.

RC Champion
    Maybe try loosening your slipper a little bit? I haven't been around here for a while but you shouldn't be going through them that often
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

You could try this mate...flm aluminum diff cup or truck monsters; (they are expensive) scroll near the bottom.

I ended up doing the Losi conversion as I got tired of rebuilding diffs all the time.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    How much work/cost is involved in the Losi conversion? Have they eliminated the problem entirely? Have you heard of anyone
    hardening these gears? Thanks buddy.

Beside dremeling the bulkheads and trimming the chassis...not to much work. I have dremeled quite a few bulk heads now. I had 2 practice goes on front and rear before a proper attempt. Once you know where you are dremeling its pretty straight forward.

Since I have done this mod I have now had about 15 battery runs with no issue...just broke a front bulkhead asking the eRevo to do an impossible jump; I think it was from the distance and height I jumped broke the front bulkhead in half.

Hardening gears can be done...I can't comment as I have no experience on the subject.

The Losi mod was expensive for me as at the time i could not find any complete diffs for sale...once adding shipping on top of that it became expensive; but none the less I am happy with the end result .
    Rock n Rolla !

Hardening metal would involve subjecting it to extremely cold temperatures to bring the molecules in the metal closer together heating in any fashion will just move them further apart making the metal softer.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

heating the gears & oil quenching, will harden them, but I am thinking it will just make them brittle.. or warp them..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    Yeah. My main concern is warping. I'd hope it wouldn't make it brittle. I think the key is correct temps. I'm going to look into the Losi mod some more. Thanks for all the good info guys!!

So what are you thinking as far as temp....depends if you use real quench oil too. You can use water I would just lower the temp more..
    slow even heat, oil 500 *F, water 250 *F

depending on the steel material, but we use quench oil & heat parts to 1500 ~ 1600 *F, little hot for your gears.....lol

RC Champion
    Can you even harden pot metal?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    You could try this mate...flm aluminum diff cup or truck monsters; (they are expensive) scroll near the bottom.

I ended up doing the Losi conversion as I got tired of rebuilding diffs all the time.
    i love the disclaimer that fast lane puts on their product..."This will not fix stripping the gears, if you are stripping gears you will need an aluminum diff case or FLM hybrid bulks. Hybrids do not apply to Revo. If you have a Revo and need a stronger gear contact www.rc-monster.com for a bullet proof diff case combo."...ha ha...

currently i'm trying out the robinson racing pinion and gear...it is bulkier than the stock...but i highly doubt it will stop my stripped gear problem....it will probably just delay it...

Quote Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
    i love the disclaimer that fast lane puts on their product..."This will not fix stripping the gears, if you are stripping gears you will need an aluminum diff case or FLM hybrid bulks. Hybrids do not apply to Revo. If you have a Revo and need a stronger gear contact www.rc-monster.com for a bullet proof diff case combo."...ha ha...

currently i'm trying out the robinson racing pinion and gear...it is bulkier than the stock...but i highly doubt it will stop my stripped gear problem....it will probably just delay it...
    It is an upgrade from stock thou...how is the Robinson Racing gears working so far?
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Not all metals heat treat well, not even alloys of steel heat treat the same, some alloys don't heat treat at all.

Traxxas Revo gears are sintered metal it's anyones guess what they are made of if steel at all, or a heat treatable metal.

RC Racer
    did you order the racing pinion and gear from robinsonracing.com? I cant seem to find it on there

RC Racer
    I also tried the spool in the rear. didnt even make it thru one lipo. I was spinning out alot to. I was running on a very dry dirt track tho. was making laps and then i decided to do a lil jump. boom, twisted off right inside the cup. the other side was twisted pretty good too. Last spool ill buy.

RC Competitor
    I was thinking of getting a local machine shop i deal with to make me up a set of gears in hopes that they would be stronger than the traxxas sintered ones. Perhaps stronger gears with an aluminum housing is the ticket. Maybe I will get to it over the winter. No rush as I am losing intrest in fixing my revo every time i take it out.

Let's be a bit more respectful of our host.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-16-2012 at 10:09 PM.

don't give up, just yet...it will get better..

Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    Can you even harden pot metal?
    Whether the Revo diffs meet your specifications or not, to call them "pot metal" is inaccurate and helps nobody.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į