RC Racer

How is the Low Voltage Detection (LVD) supposed to work?

I may be under the wrong assumption, but I thought once the LiPo pack reached a certain voltage the ESC would cut it off.

We recently my son and I got LiPo batteries for our Stampedes. We plugged in the batteries and turned on the LVD on the ESC's. I had a part break on mine, so I didnt get to use it for long. On my sons, it kept full power for a long time, then all of a sudden got really slow. At that point we just stopped and unplugged the battery. Is this how its supposed to work?

RC Racer
    With auto lipo (low voltage detection) your sons should not get really slow. I would double check your sons is setup up for auto-lipo (maybe castle link, only if you use catle products as I do) It sounds like your sons is somehow setup for for a particular voltage cut off and not auto-lipo. I would be careful as if battery voltage gets to low (which it sounds like) it can be bad for lipo batteries. The reason I think your sons is setup differently is that is how it would act if its setup for a NiMH. What speed control are you using, if using VXL speed control I believe green color is auto-lipo and red is for NiMH. If all that is good I would call manufacturer of your speed control or post here for further advice/troubleshooting
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

RC Competitor
    Yes, once it detects low voltage, it goes down to 50% power, and the ESC light goes from green to red. It doesn't completely shut down the Pede. Once the Pede goes down to 50% power, it's time to recharge the battery.

RC Racer
    On mine when it gets to close to low voltage it stutters, works intermittently, and when it crosses that threshold doesn't work at all.

What batteries you running?
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandine Motorsports View Post
    The reason I think your sons is setup differently is that is how it would act if its setup for a NiMH. What speed control are you using, if using VXL speed control I believe green color is auto-lipo and red is for NiMH. If all that is good I would call manufacturer of your speed control or post here for further advice/troubleshooting
    It was acting differently that when we had NiMH batteries in it. NiMH's would make the truck slower and slower for the last five to ten munutes until it wouldnt move at all. With the LiPo, it was driving normally, then BAM, less power. Other than the LiPo battery, the electronics on his Stampede are untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by Snotwalker View Post
    Yes, once it detects low voltage, it goes down to 50% power, and the ESC light goes from green to red. It doesn't completely shut down the Pede. Once the Pede goes down to 50% power, it's time to recharge the battery.
    Sounds exactly like what his did. Didnt notice if the LED went from green to red, it most likely did. Once it started to drive slow, I just reached in and unplugged the battery. Didn't think to take notice of the LED color.

And thanks for the quick response guys.

RC Champion
    You got it right saturn.

Lipo batteries give you that constant clean crisp power the entire time - LOVE IT!! NiMh battery voltage will keep dropping and dropping until the system one work any longer. Thats the amazing difference in the 2 battery characteristics.

Congrats on the jump to Lipo, scary fast isnt it?!

RC Racer
    If it has VXL you have to recalibrate speed control for different battery chemistry. When going to turn on vehicle by push button on XVL speed control you have to initially hold it down, if it is setup for lipo, you have to hold it power button down for a few seconds and you will hear a rising or failing tone and light will change from greaan to red indicating its ready for NiMH, and vise versa for lipo, if lI would be a bit vigilant, as letting lipo voltage from battery falling to low is a no noight on speed control is red when you initially power up you have to hold power button down on start up for a few seconds and you will hear the rising or failing tone (not sure which is which as I run castle and MMP now, light will turn green and you are good for lipo.
    Stampede 4x4 vxl
    Traxxas 1/10 Rally

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsaturn View Post
    I may be under the wrong assumption, but I thought once the LiPo pack reached a certain voltage the ESC would cut it off.... On my sons, it kept full power for a long time, then all of a sudden got really slow. At that point we just stopped and unplugged the battery. Is this how its supposed to work?
    Exactly Right! Cuts the power a bit so you can drive it back "home"
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Here is a little info on the LVD Stages for the VXL-3S ESC. They have been known to have premature LVD though.

Stage 1: 3.6v 50% Power
    Stage 2: 3.3v Cuts Power
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore