RC Racer

center diff & foc

As I am only new to Traxxas & the Revo, I have a bit to learn about the trans set up & opti drive, fair bit different to the 1/8 nitro buggy I had, so this might sound a bit of a silly question.
    I would like to know what the difference is between the center diff & the foc, whats better to use, center diff with foc or just the foc, seems like they do pretty much the same thing. I know they both do away with reverse,?, thats ok though, don't want reverse anyway, just 2 forward gears.
    As for the opti drive, I would rather just run a straight rx & not have the hassles the opti drive seems to cause for everyone. I'm looking at ordering some stuff soon so just want to be sure I'm getting the right stuff, everything else on the Revo I right with, just not sure about the trans. As long as I still have a 2 speed then I'm happy. Thanks.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

The center diff (CD) replaces the output shaft and gear(s) with a differential (same as the front or rear diff) that has longer output pinions used as the outputs for the center shafts.
    This means the outputs of the transmission are no longer solid and the front and rear can spin independently of each other.
    You can tune the CD with oil just like your front/rear diff to adjust how much power is sent to the front or rear diff.
    The FOC is just a solid output shaft with a gear mounted on it sending equal power at all times to the front/rear diff.

Generally if you are just a basher the FOC is what you will want.

If using the CD or the FOC you can totally eliminate the Opti drive as there is no need for it anymore.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Racer
    ok cool, I just wasn't sure what the difference was between the 2, thanks for that. The center diff it is then. Pretty much the same tuning as the 1/8 nitro buggy was, adjust with different oil thickness. I like as much tuning options as possible.
    Is there a complete metal gear set up available for the trans, I know there is metal spur gears & some metal gears for the trans but can you get a complete setup including all gears including CD & 2 speed gears. I'm going to put together a complete new trans & just swap it over & want to make it as strong as possible, will do new front & rear diffs later on as well.

RRP has all steel gears for the transmission except the CD gear.

You will want to start with about 500K diff oil in the CD and dont forget to get the rear brake kit for the center diff or you will only have front brakes.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Racer
    Ok thanks for that, there's that many place that have Revo parts its hard to know where to start & as I'm in australia I have to find places that will ship over here. Will have a look for this RRP & see what they have.
    I have seen that most ppl use the 500k in the CD but some like something a little thicker as well so yeah, will try that & see how I go, will be a little bit before I get the parts, just going to get some here & there as my Revo is still going pretty well atm,lol.
    Will get rear rake as well, will deffinately need that. Can see I'm going to have a long list of parts to get,lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i have the RRP metal gear set wide ratio for my REVO-E and its bullet proof. i just dont know for now of where the next weak point since i eliminated the stripping gear problem from the tranny. i dont bash hard, most of the time i do lots of speed run.

in order to use all the metal gear you must have the forward/reverse output shaft. FOC output shaft dont work. one more thing grease them gears good.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Racer
    Yeah thats 1 thing I was thinking about, make 1 bit stronger & break something somewhere else. I want the center diff so maybe the metal gears are out of the question, will see what happens I guess. Can the trans be sealed to run some oil in them, grease just gets thrown off. Might just do up a couple of transmissions with CD in them & keep a spare instead.