RC Enthusiast

Question Whats with the diffs?

Im about to buy one of these monsters but ive been reading and seeing pics of the diffs destroying themselves... Whats up with that? And how urgent is the problem? Should i tear it apart before i even drive it or what? I plan on running it on 2 Nimh.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you are talking series then I would shim them!
    I think the stock ring gear could/should be a lot stronger

They are decent for a single nimh pack maybe a 2 cell lipo with the slipper set just right but everyone likes to push the limit
    Last edited by 50togo; 10-10-2012 at 07:46 PM.

RC Champion
    not the toughest metal. the rougher you are the quicker you strip diff. i mostly run on blacktop, and i got a rear aluminum bulkhead, and skidplate so i dont have that issue at all. when i was beating the you know what out of it then i stripped 1 diff in the 1 year i owned my merv.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    Here read this, it might help. You FOR SURE have to shim them!

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...tting+bulkhead
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by devildog88 View Post

I second this! There really isn't a reason for not checking. Even if you only run a single nimh pack, a properly shimmed diff WILL last longer. Most need shims, very few don't. I'd say, don't chance it, it will only help.

These are from my pre-shimming days with the stock motor & esc. Thats about a years worth of diffs. I now run big block with larger tires and haven't lost any more in the last 2 years.

Last edited by TheMajekalBum; 10-10-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

Quote Originally Posted by devildog88 View Post

I am going to have to disagree, while I agree many of us have shimmed the diffs it is by no means mandatory. My MERV was well over a year old on the original diffs before I had the need to shim them. My son's MERV was closer to three years old before he had to shim his. The updated bulkheads Traxxas released made the need to shim the diff even less likely. My MERV is now over three years old has the original diffs in it and yes it has some shims in both the front and rear but I have had far more issues caused by a bad bearing or stripped diff screws than I have had from the need to shim the diff.

I would not just jump in and start shimming any diff until I had the clicking noise coming from the diffs and then only after I made sure there were no other issues such as bad bearings or diff cover screws stripped.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Dsdx2mj, that clicking sound your talking about, my merv does that. What is it? Stripped diff? Gonna tear into it tonight.

RC Qualifier
    Most likely man, i'd say 90% of 'clicking' end up being the diffs. It wouldn't hurt to inspect other easie stuff first... i.e. driveshafts, spur/pinion gears, rocks in your skid plate (bottom center)
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *