RC poster

New to the T-Maxx and Nitro - Have a couple questions...

Hey everyone,
    I just picked up a T-maxx in trade, and am getting into the nitro world. I have had RC cars/trucks before, but all have been electric. I think it will be a great hobby with my 2 sons and my oldest is really looking forward to it.

The truck is in good shape, and I have been spending some time getting everything cleaned up. I ordered a new glow plug and wiring, and antenna tube as the original ones looked a bit worse for the wear. The motor is new, and the previous owner had just finished the break in. I broke down the shocks and all seem to function properly. It already has a fuel filter installed and I don't see any leaks.

I do have a couple questions... I need to order new shock towers, but from what I can gather the ones to order vary on the model of 3.3 T-Maxx. Can someone fill me in on what model T-Maxx I have?

Also the previous owner added a Thunder Tiger Roto Start as he said he hated the EZ Start system. He beefed up the rear suspension to compensate for having to remove one shock for access to the roto start. If it were your truck, would you convert it back to the EZ start?

Any other upgrades I should do for just general driving? I won't be racing it, or bashing on it heavily. But I still want it to preform well. Thanks in advance, I look forward to spending a lot of time on here.

Last edited by Blackhawks1Goal; 10-10-2012 at 06:48 PM.

RC Competitor
    I can answer one question. It is a model 4909

RC Racer
    Throw a pull start on it, Put a FOC in it to get rid of all that extra weight. Have fun with it

RC Qualifier
    I second the pull start.....
    nutty like a squirrel turd....!!!!!

RC Champion
    That would be a 4909 tmaxx. What's wrong witht he shocktowers in the pics

Edit: I meant 4908 tmaxx minus the resonator exhaust.
    Last edited by Kyleb; 10-10-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Standard towers will work, your LHS should have them.

The difference is the older style had round body post's instead of the newer square ones like you have.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyleb View Post
    That would be a 4909 tmaxx. What's wrong witht he shocktowers in the pics
    The one is cracked, and the tops and they are just generally beat up. I ordered some new ones and a pull start. I may order an FOC in the future after getting the hang of everything. For now the weight doesn't bother me. Hopefully that will be it for the parts for a while. I can already tell how addicting this will be to tinker with. Thanks for the help everyone.

RC Competitor
    If it were my truck i would put the EZ start on it. I like it because it can be started without removing the top, good for when it stalls or rolls over.
    I would leave the reverse on it because it is very useful for everything but racing. The FOC doesn't save enough weight that i would give up reverse.

RC Qualifier
    Thats a Tiger Drive starter you have (not a Thunder Tiger)
    and unfortunately they dont work well with the Tmaxx without
    some modifications.
    You do have some options as far as starters go though.

1. Pull starter as suggested earlier. part #5170

2. EZ start kit #5270R

3. Ofna backplate #50007 /Starter shaft.
    Can be used with a drill or RotoStart

4. If you like the Tiger Drive, you could convert to a 4 shock
    system (one shock per corner) with beefier shocks, springs and oil.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Champion
    The difference in the shock towers that I know of is the old ones had round body mount stems and the new one uses the same as every other Maxx.

I too would use the EZ start. I started in Nitro about 6 months ago and I tried a pull start but if you dont have the hang of tuning yet, its going to kill your fingers trying to start it. Once you better understand tuning and running the engine, pull start are handy but not enough to justify it to me...not to mention you still have to buy the pull start AND an ignitor for the glow plug - my 2 cent

Stock set up works great with this truck until you master things...down the road, make changes and enjoy the enhanced performance at that time.

The Maxx series trucks have a trend of breaking bulkheads during intense flips or cartwheels...just be on the lookout for that; simple fix. If you're anything like me, you look forward to damage to fix so you have something to do!! LOL

Lastly, invest in a nice hand held cylinder head temp gauge to monitor the temperature of the engine. This will give you great insite to the tune on the engine - rich is cool (good) but slower; lean is hot (bad) but much faster

welcome and congrats! Enjoy, its a great "Pastime"!

RC Competitor
    I think that is a 4909. The 4908 is an extended chassie and the 4909 is the short chassie with reverse. I can see that is the short chassie and there is a wire coming from the transmission and a opti-drive unit in the reciever box. I'm no expert but I have had 2 4909's and i'm pretty sure that is what that is.

RC poster
    You guys are awesome, thanks for all the advice! I want to get some new skid plates (possibly aluminum), are those universal or do I have to find some that say 4909 when looking on ebay and the like? Again I am trying to do this on a small budget, are there any skid plates you would recommend?

Since I already ordered the pull start, I will see if I can get the hang of that and if not may look into getting a new EZ start.

RC Qualifier
    If you're not going to race or bash heavily, your current skids should do fine.
    But, if you want to upgrade, add some RPM skid plates to them. They're cheap and durable.

To simplify ordering parts, the 4909 and 4910 are identicle except for engine and tranny.
    The 4909 has a 3.3 engine and Opti Drive transmission, the 4910 doesnt.

Heres some manuals that may help you along.

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...anual-2005.pdf
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/files/4909_parts.pdf
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...front-2007.pdf
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...shock-2007.pdf
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...assis-2007.pdf
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    My vote goes to the Easy Start. It's just way to handy. Especially if you're still practicing your tuning skills.
    Desmosedici RR