RC poster

E-maxx 3906 upgrade help

hey guys! I could really use some help. i have an older 3906 that i would like to upgrade. Everything is stock so its running the vtwin 550 titans and it has the 14.4V EVX in it. I use 5000 mAh Nimh humpback batteries.
    I want to upgrade but i dont want to have to break the bank going brushless and replacing the esc. Ive heard the driveline cant handle brushless power anyways.

I was looking at the Kershaw Designs E-maxx 3906 Dual DeWalt 820 or 700-HO Conversion Kit but i cant find a whole lot of info on it.
    Has anyone tried these conversions? How do they perform? I know the diameter of these motors are bigger than the stock titans so i wasnt sure if my humpback battery packs will physically fit in the battery trays.
    Are there any other motor setups that anyone would recommend?
    Thankyou for your input!

RC Champion
    if you don't want to break the bank stay with a single motor, more people use the single motors than the double motors. But then your still going to have to upgrade the same parts as if you was going brushless.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    A single DeWALT is more than enough to push around your Maxx.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    No matter what even with the twin titans u need to upgrade all your drive shafts then upgrade ur tranny from 2spd to 1 SPd locked in

I have built 2 3906s now and my first I went brushless with but the chassis is to short and I couldn't keep the nose down you can get some steel cvd shafts from this guy on eBay he sells a whole set centers and out drives for around $50 shipped and IMHO there great shafts if u type in 14.4v shaft on eBay u will find them the only part of the shafts that ever broke on me was a stub pin which I replaced with a piece of hex wrench

also the setup I have in the pictures above was right at $170 so I'm not sure what u consider breaking the bank but I think it's an affordable but awesome system

lastly if u don't want to go brushless I would at least upgrade to the evx-2 incase you ever want to run lipos the orange evx doesn't handle it that well

RC Champion
    thats the pin that broke on mine too. I used a roll pin to fix then cut down. never had the problem again. But it was when i had the rear spooled.
    i thought i had a pic of it but only find the pins from ebay.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Champion
    The KD motor kits are great, but Im hearing less and less about them, and I personally had some warrenty issues with Dan, but Ive heard many good things about him and his products.

Bad news= those KD systems will destroy your drive line as fast or faster than brushless. Brushed motors are known for their start-up touque...

Those shafts off of ebay are a great idea, maybe replace the tranny idler gears with steel ones, as well as locking it in second.

Heres a complete upgrade guide, that can be done in stages, and not everything is nessacary unless your going to really run hard:
    http://robotwars.00server.com/emaxxupgrade.html
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC poster
    thanks for your input guys!
    how would change my tranny from 2spd to 1 SPd locked in?

RC Competitor
    I did a conversion very similar to Emaxx1991 and it cost me around $400 when it was all said and done (if you were wondering), but the truck is ridiculous!

RC Champion
    But in that $400, you end up with a better truck. YOu end up with steel shafts, RPM arms, usually Aluminum?, brushless, lipo, ect, vs just buying a 3903 and having to do all that afterwords. I would just build up what you have.

Just my opinion. If ur not a builder, or not emotionally attached to ur maxx, just get a new one, but if you like building and you need a winter project, go for it.

The price will end up being pretty close to the same either.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0