Thread: My first car!

RC poster

Cool My first car!

Hi all. New to the forum, but not traxxas or rc. Well here is my first car. I got it last winter and the condition was absolutely awful. I have spent countless hours making it look better and be able to drive reliably. I am 15 and it's been extremely fun working on it, and I know nobody my age could be doing what I'm doing, so I'm pretty proud of the car.

All of the pictures from here on have been parts restored.

New safer seat belts:

All of the interior almond color used to look like the metal here:

Now with the new:

Last edited by 67SuperSnake; 10-10-2012 at 01:00 AM.

RC poster
    More updates:
    Removed all SMOG equipment, replaced all tube lines and started to pain the air cleaner:

New Vacuum for the air conditioning:

New Refurbished steering wheel metal:

Brand new steering wheel, unopened from 1967!!

Bought a new carpet kit:

RC Qualifier
    Fabulous, looks great, good work. Treat it well, don't crash that beast, it is a shame it is not a manual.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Nice! I'm 16 and I have a '67 Ford Fairlane that I plan to start working on soon. I was in my auto tech class the other day and heard one of the freshmen ask the teacher about a '68 Chevelle that was up on the lift, "why would you fix up this old car when you could just go buy a new car?". My teacher responded quickly with "just because it's a little bit rusty, we are supposed to give up on it? That's like giving up on you just because your're a freshman!". It was probably the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Long story short... it's so great that there are still kids out there who see that older cars take work, yet still think it's well worth it. Most people these days want everything yesterday and don't want to work for it.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

i wish i could of had a cool first car sigh............ i had a rusted out 89 pontiac bonneville that was so bad i think it tried killing me a couple times lol
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Nice work man... keep at it and youll have something impressive to be very very proud of. And youll have done it all yourself. Which makes it even more impressive.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Nice. I love the old Mustangs. One of my fav is the 69' Fastback. First time I laid my eyes on the care I always wanted one. My uncle had one for sale, money in hands and he backed down. He purchased the car many years before, restored it, and kept it garaged. Darn the luck!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    That is awesome; one of the many reasons I will always be a Ford person.
    "Bagginses? What is a Bagginses?"

RC Qualifier
    Cool car dude. Almost Hot August Nights worthy, but not quite. For that it needs a super powerful/loud engine, epic smelling fumes, and a rad paintjob like flames or stuff like that. Been there a couple of times before, it's cool. Like cool cool and wish we could go every year. Nice car! And one more thing... how come you've posted twice in this thread, but have 0 posts? (To SuperSnake67)
    Last edited by MooseSlash; 10-10-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Weird
    U |_ 7 1 |\/| 4 7 3 7 R 4 >< >< 4 !

RC Racer
    moose, the reason why is that posts in the alley arent counted towards your total posts.

67ss, your car looks amazing. you have done a great job! take your time and enjoy it. as it looks by your work that you do. and also, that is a nice ride for a person just getting to driving age! be proud. you have done well.

RC Qualifier
    Nice car! I love Mustangs !
    I have a 2013 V6 Now!
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Champion
    sweet. nice accomplishment. keep tinkering, and learning. auto body work can be rewarding.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC poster
    Thanks for the compliments guys! It has come a long way since I got it, but there is still a heck of a lot to do. I will definately feel unique driving this to school everyday, and I will baby it so much. Like what you guys said, when you do the things yourself, you have SO much respect for them. It's not the same if you just buy a perfect car, but MAKING a car perfect is what's special in my view

Here is whats on my list of things to do:
    Seats reupholstered (SO expensive!!!!)
    Replace front window as well as chrome that goes around it
    Get an exhaust system (the stock one has a whole in it)
    New gas tank, as well as fuel gauge sender
    Gauge cluster
    New Dash Pad
    And realign the hood.
    I'm also thinking about doing a 302 swap by the time that I'm out of high school, or at least convert the 289 to fuel injection. I live so close to my school that by the time I get to my school the car is still on fast idle lol.

And once again guys I really appreciate all the kind words
    I'm going to keep the car exactly how it is regarding paint. I don't want this car to be flashy at all. I feel like most kids these days don't understand what "class" means. There are countless newer mustangs at my school that are all boy racer, stripes, loud exhaust, and idiots are driving them. That"s just not for me. The jokes on them too, because I attract more ladies LOL

I like to think of it as that I'm restoring American History

Here is a little bit of backround on the car:
    I came across it in a craigslist ad for $3500. It needed work.
    So when I went to buy it, and old grandma was the one who owned the car. When she heard that I was going to restore it, she lowered the price to $2,900
    The car has 37,000 original miles.
    So, you might ask, how could it have been junk with only 37,000 miles? Well, the car sat for 22 years, unprotected, and the window regulators were broken, so the windows were open. Exposed to the elements. As a result, the interior was atrociously bad. The car wasn't even structurally sound, it had horrible amounts of rust on the front floorboards.
    So to fix what what had been done to the car, I got new floorboards welded, replaced ALL of the window felts as well as all of the window regulators (it was SUCH a pain!!!) and that sort of undid the damage that was done. I still have to re-do the roof liner though, which I know is going to be another $400

And regarding hot august nights, I am aware of that show
    It's the one in Danville right?

@yoloer, how do you like it? I heard those new v6's are crazy good motors, they put out 300 or so horsepower right?
    Last edited by 67SuperSnake; 10-10-2012 at 06:25 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hatethmpr View Post
    moose, the reason why is that posts in the alley arent counted towards your total posts.
    Oh... Thought it was a glitch...
    Last edited by MooseSlash; 10-10-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Spelling no-no issue.
    U |_ 7 1 |\/| 4 7 3 7 R 4 >< >< 4 !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 67SuperSnake View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys! It has come a long way since I got it, but there is still a heck of a lot to do. I will definately feel unique driving this to school everyday, and I will baby it so much. Like what you guys said, when you do the things yourself, you have SO much respect for them. It's not the same if you just buy a perfect car, but MAKING a car perfect is what's special in my view

Here is whats on my list of things to do:
    Seats reupholstered (SO expensive!!!!)
    Replace front window as well as chrome that goes around it
    Get an exhaust system (the stock one has a whole in it)
    New gas tank, as well as fuel gauge sender
    Gauge cluster
    New Dash Pad
    And realign the hood.
    I'm also thinking about doing a 302 swap by the time that I'm out of high school, or at least convert the 289 to fuel injection. I live so close to my school that by the time I get to my school the car is still on fast idle lol.

And once again guys I really appreciate all the kind words
    I'm going to keep the car exactly how it is regarding paint. I don't want this car to be flashy at all. I feel like most kids these days don't understand what "class" means. There are countless newer mustangs at my school that are all boy racer, stripes, loud exhaust, and idiots are driving them. That"s just not for me. The jokes on them too, because I attract more ladies LOL

I like to think of it as that I'm restoring American History

Here is a little bit of backround on the car:
    I came across it in a craigslist ad for $3500. It needed work.
    So when I went to buy it, and old grandma was the one who owned the car. When she heard that I was going to restore it, she lowered the price to $2,900
    The car has 37,000 original miles.
    So, you might ask, how could it have been junk with only 37,000 miles? Well, the car sat for 22 years, unprotected, and the window regulators were broken, so the windows were open. Exposed to the elements. As a result, the interior was atrociously bad. The car wasn't even structurally sound, it had horrible amounts of rust on the front floorboards.
    So to fix what what had been done to the car, I got new floorboards welded, replaced ALL of the window felts as well as all of the window regulators (it was SUCH a pain!!!) and that sort of undid the damage that was done. I still have to re-do the roof liner though, which I know is going to be another $400

And regarding hot august nights, I am aware of that show
    It's the one in Danville right?

@yoloer, how do you like it? I heard those new v6's are crazy good motors, they put out 300 or so horsepower right?
    The car wasn't structurally sound because of floorboards? Or did you replace parts of the frame?
    Very nice car!
    Matthew 7:7

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    The car wasn't structurally sound because of floorboards? Or did you replace parts of the frame?
    Very nice car!
    Wasn't structurally sound because of the floorboards, as in if it got in a crash it would more then likely break in two. The way the frame is set up on the 67's relies heavily on the front floor panels. It's kind of hard to explain over text lol. Hopefully what I said makes some sense

RC Qualifier
    never really like Fords. but i do respect hard work and a job well done. Nice work, my father and i built a show truck out of a 77 dodge powerwagon, its a great truck- but gets terrible gas mileage. we took it to a sled pull one time, took 2nd place. win sevral plaques every car show we go to
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

hey im not a big ford fan either. but 70% of all fords ever made are still on the road today...............................

the other 30% made it home................ lol jk

i may not like fords but thats all personal prefference. coming from someone that went to school for working on cars i can say that each company has there own issues, its just which ones do you want to deal with. i do like older ones, but thats about it. new ones are far and few inbetween if at all for me.

but this is an older one, and your bringing it back to life.............

so you get an A in my book!

keep up the good work.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Enthusiast
    The nice thing with classic cars is there is so much you can do with them or to them! From mild street stock to insane with blowers nos etc.. You are only limited by imagination and budget!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I love it! It is 315 HP stock! Mine Is doing about 345hp, which is great!

I noticed that too, that girls are more attracted to classic cars then the nice new ones lol.

I would love to get one to restore one day, I would have loved it for my fist car but my parents would not let me work inside the garage so It was a no no.
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Champion
    Mother in law recently bought a 66 mustang basket case and I got stuck working on it. I put the same wheels on her's and it turned out GREAT. Nice ride. Watch out for the leaks under dash - rusty pans

RC poster
    Yea it's amazing that just the standard v6 wheels look so good on the older mustangs. Only thing is you have to use spacers, and I would rather not have to use them. I didn't skimp on my spacers so they should be good, but I have heard plenty of stories where peoples spacers fail horribly.

And Ford has definitely had some bad times/ cars. I don't really like anything from ford besides their sports cars and trucks. My dad has been driving Ford trucks all his life, so I'm just partial to Ford I guess.
    And I like the Ford trucks and sports cars a heck of a lot more then Mopar and Chevy sports cars and trucks. I also always think about how Ford wasn't bailed out unlike Chevy lol. And Carroll Shelby was a legend that wouldn't have lived if it weren't for Ford

I think the older mopar sports cars (1970 challenger, charger etc) are cool as heck to look at,but I would never drive a big, heavy and low revving car compared to a light v8 screamer.

@yoloer You should look into it. It's really an amazing feeling fixing an iconic car up. And being a high school student, girls are a big part of our life haha Another thing about these old cars is there are no airbags, hardly any safety precautions. And another thing about the 67 and earlier mustangs is on the steering wheel holder, there is a metal piece that has been know to pierce into peoples bodies in hard enough collisions if the steering wheel breaks. These are by no means safe. The 68's though don't have the spear effect because they use a little bit different system for the steering block. The reason I have the safer seat belts and the non original seats is because of safety. Thanks mom and dad! Lol
    Last edited by 67SuperSnake; 10-11-2012 at 07:34 PM.

RC Champion
    And I'm not sure about your state but here in Delaware, 1967 and older cars have a separate set of rules for inspection. '68 and up have to meet a lot of safety and emissions specs to pass. '67 and older don't have to meet any of that because they consider it an antique automobile and adding safety and emissions equipment would take away from the value of the vehicle.

RC Champion
    Nice work so far! I'm 19 and ever since i got my license iv'e driven vintage vw's and have to date owned almost 50 of them believe it or not. I do all my own work on my cars so i can understand all the work you've put into your car.
    stampede/sidewinder 5700 axial ax10 3905 e-maxx

RC poster
    @traxxastuesdays here in California when the cars first came out they had a JUNK smog system. They were poorly designed, gave up performance, and made the car more expensive. As I was taking the components out of my car I was disturbed at how poorly designed it was. The system was installed in such a makeshift way. In california I believe it's 1974 and older don't have to pass any smog tests at all.

RC Qualifier
    Take care of that car! I wish I could have a car like that. My 1st car was an 81 Monte Carlo project. When I was in school I didn't have the money to work on it. Got out of school and didn't have the time to work on it. Had to trade it away to a friend of my dad's and got a running car that was newer with much less cool factor. Here's a pic they gave my dad of what the car looks like now.

I was told I could come by their shop anytime and they will let me drive it
    ERBE, Sl4sh MT, P4de, 1/16 Grave Digger 4x4

RC Competitor
    Hi 67SuperSnake,

I am really sorry I didn't notice your thread earlier... I have been going across the country for the past 3ish weeks.
    I noticed that you have a license plate from California...
    I don't know if you have heard of us, but I am the CEO and owner of Mostly Mustangs here in the s.f bay area. And if there is anything you need, shoot me a message or stop by our shop.

So far you are doing all the right things to your 67. I am astonished by the great work and progress you have made on the car.
    You are absolutely right regarding the floorboards being a problem. They are a KEY aspect to the cars structural integrity.
    Based on what you said you need, we could fix you up.

If you have any questions, post up!
    Last edited by 67Mustang; 11-05-2012 at 11:21 PM.

RC Champion
    Lol 67 posts for 67mustang. Was that intentional?

RC poster
    Updates. Just re-did the whole trunk. Painted everything with rust-olem, installed brand new tank and fuel sender. Also installed new master cylinder for the brakes. Drove it this weekend and it ran great!
    Before:

After:

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=67SuperSnake;5334874]Updates. Just re-did the whole trunk. Painted everything with rust-olem, installed brand new tank and fuel sender. Also installed new master cylinder for the brakes. Drove it this weekend and it ran great!
    Before:

After

Doesnt seem to be working for some reason, sir. Can you repost your pics?
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC poster
    Ok this should work.

Just re-did the whole trunk. Painted everything with rust-olem, installed brand new tank and fuel sender. Also installed new master cylinder for the brakes. Drove it this weekend and it ran great!

Before:

After: