RC poster

broke something - rear tires stutter

Not sure what is broken and looking for help or any advice to test it before buying parts tearing it completely apart.

after a small jump (curb) I hit a bike. As soon as this happened the rear tires started slipping.

Not sure if it is the transmission or the rear differental. I removed the rear drive shaft and it runs ok with just front wheel drive.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    open up your rear diff, you probably strip the ring gear or pinion causing it to stutter.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC poster
    is it best to buy a replacement diff or can a replacement for the ring gear and pinion be purchased? any stronger replacements out there cause this stock one broke under very light driving conditions....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    yes you can buy the replacement (ring gear/pinion) but first make sure thats what broke. there is'nt any stronger replacement unless you go LOSI diff....like ppl here that have done to their ERBE. Shimming helps alot to strenghtened your diff.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

I would open up the rear diff to see if that is the problem...no better way to learn your truck than to strip it down. Also open up the diff cup and check the spider gears if the ring and pinion are intact.

Some people on here report that the FLM aluminium diff cup and ring gear replacement have worked well for them.

What are you running 4s, 5s, 6s?? I went for the Losi LST2 diff conversion instead as I predominantly run 6s.
    Rock n Rolla !

did you check the center drive shaft to the rear diff, odds are real good it's the rear diff..
    If you are a basher I would look at going to a thicker diff fluid, I use 120k F&R...

shimmimg good info in both threads..

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Diff-Shim-Mod

&

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...to-shim-a-diff.

or LST2

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post3868456

&

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4708811
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    thanks for all the feedback, almost certain it is the rear diff. I dont have a place to tear it down right now, but when I get some space setup I will tear it down more....

RC poster
    anyone have a good source on the diff oil?

Traxxas, Losi, Ofna to name a few. It also depends on what thickness lube you want and what you will be doing with your truck.

I rebuilt both my diffs last night after an inspection and decided to mix 1/4 100k with 3/4 50K diff lube (Traxxas brand) as I wanted something slightly thicker than the 50K I had been using...I'm also using the Losi diffs and they take a lot of diff lube.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC poster
    Where do you get the F&R 120k lube. Since I damaged something do I want to go higher or lower than the stock 50k traxxas oil.

I am running 6s mostly bashing speeding up and down the street, sidewalk, grass and a little on a dirt/gravel path

Stock is 30K from memory...here is what I used Ofna diff lock lube.

I didn't like it when I tried...IMHO.
    Rock n Rolla !