Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

Why Purchase Pro-Line Trenchers For The Stampede VXL??

Just purchased the Stampede VXL and want some new tires and all i hear is Pro-Line Trenchers but never hear any one give the reasons/details/advantages on why those are good tires...can someone give me reasons those are "the tires" to purchase for the Stampede???

RC Qualifier
    It's the best all round tire for the stampede in my opinion. They grip like no other tire and they are huge!
    1 extended pede
    1 stock length pede
    Summit

If someone knows a better all round tire, I would like to know their choice.
    I think there are better tires for pavement, better ones for grass, same goes for sand. But I doubt if there are other tires that do so well on all those surfaces.
    Last edited by Petertje60; 04-13-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    Hve to agree with both statements. I know some will favor the Mashers though. The Trenchers+Protrac make the Pede a very capable machine. I would strongly suggest getting the Protrac if you are considering the Trenchers. It is twofold, first it enhances the Pedes suspension which makes it less likely to roll (not a cure though). This will help with grippy tire like the Trenchers. Secondly, it widens the Pede so you can run front offset rims at all four corners. This will enable you to rotate the tires for more even wear and longer life out of them. I almost forgot, the hidden gem of the Protrac is rear toe in. On the Pede it makes a world of difference in the way it launches. If it were my money I would buy both of these together. I sold the Split Six rims that came with it because at the time I didn't need them. I made $16, so that helped curb some of the cost. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

Funny thing this: I recently had the chance to run a Rustler with slightly worn Trenchers against a Stampede with very worn Masher 2000s. It was uphill, on very short, winter-packed grass and the M2Ks won every time - by a little. Both vehicles were using longer a-arms and all front-offset wheels.
    The "problem" with the Mashers is that they have a 2.2" wheel while the current style is more on a lo-pro 2.8" wheel, in which the Trencher is available. You can easily trim the M2Ks to fit a 2.8" wheel, but not everybody wants to do that.

Specifically to the OP: Trenchers have very good traction on a variety of surfaces, they wear slowly, they look great, and there are more wheel choices than ever. What's not to like?
    If Pro-Line ever came out with 2.8" Mashers, you'd see even better performance IMO, but as yet they have been unwilling to do this.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-13-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Dcsally.You are right on.^^^IMO.

RC Champion
    thanks bro!! any links for the Pro-Trac??

RC Champion
    Protrac kit is p/n 6062-00. It is listed for the Slash 2wd, but works with the Pede. You won't need the wheels like I said before. Well, unless you have a Slash.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Man I miss my 2.8 trenchers trimmed to fit 3.2's! Shattered my rpm clawz wheels and have removed the tires but I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new chrome mt splits to mount em up again. The trenchers are a huge asset to the p2de. Monster traction and look good doing it. There may be those who say there are better tires, but 99% of those who've owned them never regretted buying them.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I have to post a pic of my Trenchers/ Desperados. LOL they are a very awesome, capable, grippy, mean, just out right fantastic tire choice.

Here is what KSB was talking about 2.2 Mashers cut on 2.8 Desperados. These are another fav tire/ wheel combo of mine.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    As long as we're sharing....

Trenchers popping a wheelie on an ice covered road. Grip is no problem with them.

RC Champion
    don't mind if I do, lol

RC Racer

I like to share too!
    ERBE/JATO 3.3

RC Racer
    Hey dcsally97 what tranny case you running there?
    ERBE/JATO 3.3

Those look pretty sweet...
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Is anyone running these on their Rusty??

Yes, ran them tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    The trenchers are a huge asset to the p2de. As are the Mashers.
    Monster traction and look good doing it. There may be those who say there are better tires, but 99% of those who've owned them never regretted buying them.
    Right-o. I like them both very well. I have both in the Stampede and the larger (3.2" & 3.8") sizes. I'm not complaining one bit.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-13-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Oh I thought you were running a Pede in the post above.

I'm scouring the internet for a full set of these (mounted). I found a set of mounted 2.8 rears on fleabay and toadzrc but no fronts. Same thing on tower.
    Last edited by O.G.; 04-13-2012 at 08:31 PM.

RC Qualifier
    These tires are great! I picked them up on sale at my LHS. great for grass,dirt,rocks and the street and they look AMAZING but thats just me

RustlerVXL&Nitro
    Jato 3.3
    Spartan
    Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    Their a hot item! Took forever to find fronts!
    ERBE/JATO 3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I, for one (apparently) am not a fan of the 2.8 trenchers. I had them and removed/sold them. I felt they were too big for the truck, overpowered the steering and got TOO much grip in the corners which, combined with the extra height they added, made for more roll overs. Im not saying they are bad for everyone, but my personal preference for a general, all-round tire is the Masher 2K. The ONLY downside IMO to a masher is that its made to fit a 2.2 rim. Which isnt REALLY a negative other than that you loose the cool "big rims" look. The 2.2 mashers on a set of RPM wheels is a strong, long lasting and well balanced setup on a pede, stock or protrac.

I realize the general consensus is that Trenchers are the best. But I often wonder if (and I know for certain a bunch of you HAVE, but not all) the opinions are coming from people who have run numerous tire/wheel combinations. I know baldy, KSB, DCsaly and digger have all run different combos... so they have a great frame of reference. I don't know the others as well. What I do know is that when I put the trenchers on my truck I felt it did more to hurt the handling of the truck than help it. Put the Mashers back on, and most recently a new set of 2.8 Badlands, and they truck has never been better.

Just a different perspective for consideration. One point I won't EVER argue with is the protrac kit. SOOOO worth every penny.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Oh I thought you were running a Pede in the post above.

I'm scouring the internet for a full set of these (mounted). I found a set of mounted 2.8 rears on fleabay and toadzrc but no fronts. Same thing on tower.
    ya lol been to 4 diffrent hobby shops and all have rears but no fronts. so i ordered a set of front ones and had to wait a month on back order lol not bad for $30 cnd

i have only run the rear trenchers so far and all i can say is that they are pretty good and out of all my rc this is the first tire that made me roll over on ashphalt oh ya i got the fronts in today but probably cant run till thursday or so geared at 18/90(i dont know if its under geared but the motor is about luke warm after a 15 min run)

eny body notice that your hand stink for almost a couple days after handling these tires?

RC Qualifier
    The trenchers are soft enough to provide grip akin to that of tires like the ones on the Summit, but they seem to be very durable and capable at speed. The things have so much grip, that my truck does three wheeled turns on dry pavement, and that's crappy side street pavement not smooth asphalt. Literally, one of the back tires will come up off the ground, and this is a 2wd!?! The thing pops wheelies on wet pavement, and crawls over and up things I wouldn't think possible.

I'll probably be getting a set for my Summit too. If they made mashers that were 6-7" instead of the 5-6" ones I would actually try those, but they don't so Trenchers it is.

Oh, and they look awesome. If you're doing a lot of off road only though the badlands are a good option too I hear. Oh, and unless you're insanely mechanically inept, buy the wheels and tires separate so you can duct tape the tires inside and glue them better than factory. Here's my trenchers:

P2de VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleEagle View Post
    Hey dcsally97 what tranny case you running there?
    Double- It is the REM case. It is a very nice piece, and keep the motor temps down 20-30 easily. I ran yesterday on my SPC 2s 5400mAh geared 23/86 through grass, dirt, and on road and I ran for about 40 min.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsally97 View Post
    Hve to agree with both statements. I know some will favor the Mashers though. The Trenchers+Protrac make the Pede a very capable machine. I would strongly suggest getting the Protrac if you are considering the Trenchers. It is twofold, first it enhances the Pedes suspension which makes it less likely to roll (not a cure though). This will help with grippy tire like the Trenchers. Secondly, it widens the Pede so you can run front offset rims at all four corners. This will enable you to rotate the tires for more even wear and longer life out of them. I almost forgot, the hidden gem of the Protrac is rear toe in. On the Pede it makes a world of difference in the way it launches. If it were my money I would buy both of these together. I sold the Split Six rims that came with it because at the time I didn't need them. I made $16, so that helped curb some of the cost. Good luck and keep us posted.
    I know this is an old thread but:

I did the protrac conversion on the front end of my Pede only. Can I use the pre-mounted 2.8 Trencher FRONTS on all 4 wheels of my Pede or do I need to get finish the protrac conversion on the back end of the Pede 1st?

Thanks in advance.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa G View Post
    I know this is an old thread but:

I did the protrac conversion on the front end of my Pede only. Can I use the pre-mounted 2.8 Trencher FRONTS on all 4 wheels of my Pede or do I need to get finish the protrac conversion on the back end of the Pede 1st?

Thanks in advance.
    You can use front all around. In fact, if you don't your rears will be wayyy tucked in. I think you'll only be a few mm short in the rear width if you don't do the protrac back there, but the protrac also gives you toe in in the rear which is part of its appeal.

So in short, yes you can run fronts all around, but do the back arms/camber links if you get a chance. Don't need tower but it does give more options.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC poster
    I love the trenchers on my maxx. I have not put them on my pede or rustler yet.

On the pro-trac do you have to buy the shock towers or can you get away with just buying the front and rear arms?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 87burb View Post
    I love the trenchers on my maxx. I have not put them on my pede or rustler yet.

On the pro-trac do you have to buy the shock towers or can you get away with just buying the front and rear arms?
    I'm sure you could get by without it, but you'll have to do some further adjusting on the links and such. But for the price, I'm sure there are complete kits on ebay for close to the cost, but really the rear carriers are crap too so...I think ST Racing makes aluminum towers with adjust-ability options

My rear tower broke pretty early on. I am using an RPM at the moment but it doesn't have the adjustable holes/options the Protrac one did. It is still working fine though, and no problems since.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Toyboarder for your kind reply. Can't wait to run the Trenchers all around. I'll take your advice and finish the conversion in the back end too.

Quote Originally Posted by 87burb View Post
    Not necessarily. If you don't buy/ use them you just loose the extra mounting holes for the cambers. Not really a big deal. You can adjust them to make up the difference in length. If you are looking to upgrade the shock towers or use somethind different you have other options. RPM has flexible plastic that is really hard to break. I find flex good sometimes and other not so much. STRC, REM, FLM, HR, & Traxxas all offer aluminum towers which are a good upgrade, but if they take a hard enough hit or smash they will bend. If you are lucky you can bend them back close to their original state, this will make that spot weak.

Whatever you do stay away from Integy.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I know baldy, KSB, DCsaly and digger have all run different combos... so they have a great frame of reference. I don't know the others as well. What I do know is that when I put the trenchers on my truck I felt it did more to hurt the handling of the truck than help it. Put the Mashers back on, and most recently a new set of 2.8 Badlands, and they truck has never been better.

Just a different perspective for consideration. One point I won't EVER argue with is the protrac kit. SOOOO worth every penny.
    You are so correct Pave. I find the Mashers one of the best all around treads to run. Even though i have a couple sets of Trenchers. I still go back to my Mashers. They have been a long running tire and there is a reason why. Like you said if you want a really grippy tire the Trenchers are the ONE. I really prefer them more on my P4de. I got a year out of my last set of Mashers and I would have gotten more if it wasnt for the funny wear the ProTrac does to them with the Toe-out in the front and Toe-in in the rear. Even though I kept them pretty well rotated they still wore funny. I'm sure the rest of it is how i have my camber setup to. I feel a years worth of running isnt bad, gives me a good reason to buy a new set. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    dare to be different. dont fall into the pro-line hole. buy something you want instead of what everyone else has.

http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/the-28...MP-DAWG/Detail

http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/the-28...-T-TIRE/Detail

http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/the-28...CK-PULL/Detail

i bought a set of pro-line tires for my emaxx. they were total junk. spun like crazy in grass...barely would hook up in mud and sand. dont be a part of the pro-line tool movement. buy something unique I guarantee you will be more satisfied with less popular tires than mainstream garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrldrdg70 View Post
    dare to be different. dont fall into the pro-line hole. buy something you want instead of what everyone else has.

http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/the-28...MP-DAWG/Detail

http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/the-28...-T-TIRE/Detail

http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/the-28...CK-PULL/Detail

i bought a set of pro-line tires for my emaxx. they were total junk. spun like crazy in grass...barely would hook up in mud and sand. dont be a part of the pro-line tool movement. buy something unique I guarantee you will be more satisfied with less popular tires than mainstream garbage.
    Which tires did you buy from proline that were no good? Because you tried a set of proline tires that didn't work for your specific application, in no way represents how all other proline tires will perform. I've run many, many sets of different brands of tires, including proline and imex and I keep coming back to the trenchers every time. I'm not quite sure how you came to the conclusion that mainstream means garbage, but claiming that an imex tire is not mainstream is incorrect. Imex has been in rc for 30 years, if that's not mainstream than nothing is. Proline didn't become popular because their tires are substandard, they are where they are from being proven as a contender in the rc tire scene. Keep in mind that you're posting on the traxxas forum because you run or prefer traxxas rc vehicles over the rest. Traxxas is as mainstream as it gets in regards to rc. This doesn't mean that an exceed rc or a radio shack rc is gonna outperform, be more quality or make you happier than the traxxas unit just because they're not as popular. In this hobby, less popular can either mean that's its not as good, or that the product is so good that the price is beyond the mainstream consumer's affordability. The only brands that become popular even though the product is garbage, is companies like integy, that sell super cheap and very pretty parts. But even integy has a few good products...just a few. To shoot down the rest of us that use and prefer proline tires over any other is not what this forum is for. We're here to provide feedback on the products that we use. Trust me, if the product is garbage, we have no problem saying so. Same goes for referring others to a great product like proline tires, they've become a popular choice here on the forum because they have been proven to be some of the best available. We don't get any benefits for promoting products, and members like me that are in this for the long haul, don't go around handing out bad advice on tire choices. If you have a preference than post the reasons why so the author of the thread can make an informed decision based on the info provided as it pertains to his/her application. No need for taking shots at the rest of us "tools". Lol. Just my 2

Sent from Baldy's Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100M using Xparent purple Tapatalk 2.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I trimmed mashers to fit 2.8 and they're awesome. Way better as 2.8 than 2.2. The smaller sidewall greatly improves handling and there's actually a line around the tire that you cut along to trim them to the perfect size to fit 2.8 rims, couldn't be easier. Just food for thought. Some people don't like trenchers due to how bouncy they are as well.
    I don't have shelf queens, I have bash kings!

RC poster
    what wheelie bar is that? i broke my stock one and am looking for somthing stronger... nice truck by the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyboarder View Post
    The trenchers are soft enough to provide grip akin to that of tires like the ones on the Summit, but they seem to be very durable and capable at speed. The things have so much grip, that my truck does three wheeled turns on dry pavement, and that's crappy side street pavement not smooth asphalt. Literally, one of the back tires will come up off the ground, and this is a 2wd!?! The thing pops wheelies on wet pavement, and crawls over and up things I wouldn't think possible.

I'll probably be getting a set for my Summit too. If they made mashers that were 6-7" instead of the 5-6" ones I would actually try those, but they don't so Trenchers it is.

Oh, and they look awesome. If you're doing a lot of off road only though the badlands are a good option too I hear. Oh, and unless you're insanely mechanically inept, buy the wheels and tires separate so you can duct tape the tires inside and glue them better than factory. Here's my trenchers:

RC Racer
    proline now makes 3.8 masher that stand at 6.6"
    Started XL-5 now VXL-XL! and spare parts XL-5

RC Champion
    2012 pede vxl
    i think it a t-bone racing wheelie bar judging by the wheels

Yep thats a T-Bone Wheelie Bar!!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    How come my trenchers rub on my shock protector on 4x4 vxl? Anything I can do?

Quote Originally Posted by rraymond View Post
    How come my trenchers rub on my shock protector on 4x4 vxl? Anything I can do?
    Set your servo's endpoints so it wont rub or get some wheel extensions.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using Tapatalk