RC Qualifier

3S in brushed emaxx?

just ordered a 3903 brushed emaxx. can i run 3s lipo's? and from the pics up here it looks like you can use a brushless motor on the stock dual motor mount? is that what i'm seing?

RC Racer
    I ran 2x2s lipos on my 3903 until I upgraded to brushless. I use brushless on the stock dual motor mount.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Whether or not you can run 3S depends on what ESC you want to run.
    If it is the EVX2, no you cannot. This is due to the BEC side only being able to handle 2S max.

I have installed an 1/8 scale brushless motor on the brushed mount of an EMaxx... just be sure to tape off the extra hole so dirt and rocks don't chew up your spur and pinion.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Nice! I got some 2s lipos and another esc. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    I am running 4s on my EVX2 with no problems. I have 2 E Maxx trucks and have run 4s in both. The first one had 4s in it for a few months before I got power hungry and fitted a brushless system. The second one also has 4s in it and used mainly for crawling. Had that one for a month or so again with no issues. Its the early EVX2 by the way so am using a lipo alarm on the BEC side. So yes you can run 4s on a brushed maxx and I know plenty that have.
    " TRX3922a doesnt snap " IT SHATTERS !!!

The EVX2 is designed to run two 2S LiPo's... he wanted to run 3S LiPo's which would over-volt the ESC.

EVX2 Spec's:
    Input voltage: 6-14 NiCad and NiMH cells (7.2 to 16.8 volts DC) or 4-cell LiPo (14.8 volts DC)

Running two 3S would put voltage up to 25.2 volts on fully charged packs... remember that the EVX2 is internally wired in series; which adds up the voltage of the attached packs.

Running a single 3S on the BEC side will fry the ESC's internal BEC.
    However, 3S and 2S have been ran together with the 2S on the BEC side to gain 5S voltage (21 volts). But this can only be done with the now retired version of the EVX2... the non-LVD version. The newer version will not allow this.

RC Champion
    I think he meant a single 3s, or ~11v, but Im not sure. How would running a single 3s on the BEC side fry the BEC when running a single 4s on the bec side dosnt? Or is that just for the new EVXs?
    "American Muscle beats import any day of the week"

Quote Originally Posted by murdermaxx View Post
    I am running 4s on my EVX2 with no problems. I have 2 E Maxx trucks and have run 4s in both. The first one had 4s in it for a few months before I got power hungry and fitted a brushless system. The second one also has 4s in it and used mainly for crawling. Had that one for a month or so again with no issues. Its the early EVX2 by the way so am using a lipo alarm on the BEC side. So yes you can run 4s on a brushed maxx and I know plenty that have.
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerToTheMaxx View Post
    I think he meant a single 3s, or ~11v, but Im not sure. How would running a single 3s on the BEC side fry the BEC when running a single 4s on the bec side dosnt? Or is that just for the new EVXs?
    With the EVX-2, running 4S is much different than running 2x 2S. The BEC side is only rated for 2S. It might handle 3S for a short time but I doubt it. I have not heard of anyone successfully running 4S on the BEC side. mm above is not necessarily claiming one 4S pack, but some clarification would be helpful.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    With the EVX-2, running 4S is much different than running 2x 2S. The BEC side is only rated for 2S. It might handle 3S for a short time but I doubt it. I have not heard of anyone successfully running 4S on the BEC side. mm above is not necessarily claiming one 4S pack, but some clarification would be helpful.
    You are right bud. I am running 4s as 2x2s packs. I see the confusion though. As in running a single 4s pack, it didnt even enter my mind due to the config of the maxx chassis I assumed 2x2s was the norm to keep the balance.

You are right bud. I am running 4s as 2x2s packs. I see the confusion though. As in running a single 4s pack, it didnt even enter my mind due to the config of the maxx chassis I assumed 2x2s was the norm to keep the balance.
    Yep, understood and agreed. Except when it's a nitro conversion. Then all bets are off.

RC Champion
    YAY!!! IM DIFFERENT!!!!

Works fine for me. I got a 4s cause it was on sale at Thunder Power, and I have a single KD motor in the far sideways mount, and the truck balances well. I occasionally use a RX pack to add power when running lights and my CC blower shrouds (twin brushless fans), but without the fans, I dont need the RX pack.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Yep, understood and agreed. Except when it's a nitro conversion. Then all bets are off.
    Actually, I got a 3905 converted to brushless and got fed up with the stock chassis snapping......so I took a 4908 chassis and made it all fit. The B/L tranny, WPSC8 ESC and the twin battery trays along with a Slash Rx box mounted up front. It works very will. Same format without the crappy plastic chassis.

So does that constitute a Nitro conversion?

That looks excellent!

Same format without the crappy plastic chassis.

IDK about the chassis question. I have the ERBE and its plastic chassis seems to be tweaked/bent/damaged less than its nitro counterpart's.

Yes, if my opinion counts for anything.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-12-2012 at 06:08 PM.

RC Champion
    There's no doubt that the stock chassis is weak, that conversion looks sweet

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerToTheMaxx View Post
    There's no doubt that the stock chassis is weak, that conversion looks sweet
    Thank you.

At last someone else who thinks the stock chassis needs to be beefed up for the money Traxxas are charging. Thank you.

RC Champion
    Im almost scared to jump my truck, the chassis/bulk connection is by far the weakest part of this truck. You can try to strengthen it with metal skids and chassis braces, but really, if your going to jump with brushless, you need a KD, FLM, gorrilliamaxx, or HR chassis. and Aluminum bulks. Maybe some others out there, but those are the ones I know are super-strong.

Of coarse, that creates weak points elsewhere, so you have to get aluminum shock towers, but by the time you get about $1500+ into it, youve got a strong truck. Personally, I still love the maxx and would never trade it for a revo, but thats just me.

My buddy beats the snot out of his Maxx.... 2650kv brushless on 4S.
    Once he switched to RPM arms, skids, and bumpers he hasn't broken a thing.

Actually, I got a 3905 converted to brushless and got fed up with the stock chassis snapping......so I took a 4908 chassis and made it all fit. The B/L tranny, WPSC8 ESC and the twin battery trays along with a Slash Rx box mounted up front. It works very will. Same format without the crappy plastic chassis.

nice conversion there clean and looks to hold up better than a stock out of the box emaxx brushless.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC poster

What trays are those?

RC Champion
    Not sure, but I think RC monster makes custom ones pretty cheap. So does Dan at KD, but his are a little more expensive I think.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdrbssr11 View Post
    What trays are those?
    They are 3905 trays cut from a snapped chassis. I cut them down to my lipo size and glued them together. The are also screwed to the chassis

RC Champion
    cool, Id do that in a heartbeat if i snapped a chassis. Ill have to remember that.