Hybrid View

RC Racer

Correct tune or not

Just interested to know what people think about the tune on my Revo 3.3 engine, it seems to be going pretty well & sounds good to me, not running to hot as I can touch the cooling head for a few of seconds without burning fingers & still producing good smoke from exhaust, (even though it can be a bit hard to see the smoke in the clip at times). Hope its ok to post a youtube link here so people can reply with opinions. Thanks for looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0bV_i9QyyE&feature=plcp
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

The engine returns to idle after a high-speed pass without hanging or sounding like Chewbacca, it can flip it on it's lid, et al. I would say that is a very good tune.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Thanks for that Double G, I thought it sounded ok & went good but the opinions of others is always good to have. These 3.3 engines seem to be a bit touchy & need retuning even with just small changes in the weather & the weather is never the same, although it is better with the new fuel I'm using now.

Sounds good to me too, as you have found out some fuels have a smaller tuning window then others.
    The good news is unless you have a major weather change it should only need a very small tweak on the needles to get the optimum tune out of it.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Yeah I found that out about fuel years ago with the 1/8 nitro buggy, some fuels just didn't perform that well, & with the Revo it makes a huge difference to the tuning & performance, more so than a lot of other engines as the 3.3 seems to be a bit more finicky when it comes to getting it right.
    This time of the year around my area the weather does change a bit but once there is a good base tune it doesn't take much to adjust a little & get it right. Wouldn't mind trying a header tank set up though to try & get it running better from full tank to empty tank. Better carby might help a little with the rich/lean thing a bit hopefully to so will try that when I can get a different 1, either losi or the 523 I have read about.

RC poster
    Sounds Perfect man, thats how i tuned my 2.5r tmaxx to sound and run just recently finished the 16th gallon with it no matter how hard i beat on it getting the moter up to 220f was a task down here with 90 degree florida weather lol.

RC Racer
    The weather is changing all the time here atm,lol, but with a bit of a fine tune its easy to keep the performance up.
    I'm going to do a complete re-tune now though as I'm about to move to a higher altitude, so will reset idle gap & re-tune the needle to suit, although the town I'm going to isn't that much higher, its only around 500 meters above sea level, I'm probably less than 100 meters above where I am now.
    I have never checked the temp on the engine, same as the 1/8 buggy yrs ago, just tuned by sound, performance & made sure I had good smoke. I have used the spit test though & normally feel the engine cooling head with fingers. I should get a small temp gun 1 day though just to see how the temp actually is, might be able to make it go better