RC Competitor

correct oil percentage

I have 20% VP Powermaster nitro with 9% oil. Is this alright for a trx 3.3 if I want it to last a long time?

RC Racer
    I have been trying to find out this info myself & contacted the Traxxas importer/distributor here in Australia. The fuel I now use is Redback 20% nitro with 12% oil, although they told me that 25% will suit the 3.3 engine better & is recommended, I couldn't get any 25% though. This Redback fuel was meant to have been tested & approved by Traxxas for use in the Revo 3.3. I woudn't go any lower in oil % myself but everyone is different, I just want to make sure I have a good enough amount of protection. 9% is a pretty low amount of oil & IMHO would be best suited as a racing only fuel but I am by no means a professional on the subject, I wouldn't even go that low if I was racing, well not unless I had a good engine sponsor,lol.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC poster
    That oil percentage is fine i would deffiantly run the moter a lil on the rich side then you normally would. about the fuel im not an expert on the matter but preety much what i've noticed over the time aslong as its not some cheap crap fuel you'll be ok using whatever with the trx moters,If you have Sidewinder race blend 20%12 oil in aus.i would recomend that as being the best fuel i've ever used,and will continue to use no matter what lol

Quote Originally Posted by Icero1 View Post
    I have 20% VP Powermaster nitro with 9% oil. Is this alright for a trx 3.3 if I want it to last a long time?
    The overall blend can vary from 8-16% with Nitro Fuels... Thing to remember is these different percentages are due to the different viscosity's of their blends... A thicker/higher viscosity blend will probably have less of a percentage.... One of the important part is that there is around 3% castor oil in their synthetic blend.

I race and I bash, I use 30% Odonnel's Racing Formula and it has done me proud.
    Other fuels I've used that I would recommend over the years.
    Morgan Fuels 20%
    Byrons 20%
    Traxxas 20% and 33%
    Maxy's Monster Truck fuel 25%

I know if you use these, with proper tuning you have proper lubrication.

Tuning is key.... Keeping your engine temps between 210-270 will help you with longevity... I usually get about 6 gallons before the performance starts to drop but have ran a couple engines as much as 12 gallons just to see how long they would run for before they just wouldn't... But the last 2 gallons it performed like poop.

VP Powermaster states :Multi-viscosity 9% lubrication package: Synthetic/Castor
    blend w/ high-tech EP package for the ultimate combination of rpm and protection.

I would say based on this, you should be good, but it's always best to talk with people in your area that use the fuel, and see if your Hobby shop stocks it consistently,,, any time you change fuels you have to re-tune from scratch, so this is why I like to stick to a fuel my hobby shop always has in stock and that they sell it so there is no old stock...

If you have an RC track in your area, go there on a practice night and look as to what they are using on their RC's as well... That's how I find out...

I can tell you most every RTR formulated fuel I've not liked how much oil they use....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    I have heard good things about the Sidewinder fuel but can't get it in my area, I'm in a country area a fair way from the bigger cities so don't have a very big choice. The Redack fuel is pretty good though & has some additives added for better protection & I can also get Nitro-X which is meant to be 1 of the best fuels available over here atm. Thats the only choice I have apart from an rtr fuel that isn't that good. Would cost to much to get fuel sent by courier to my area from the city.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO