RC Qualifier

Slash 4x4 MT conversion...

I know, I know, another post about a MT conversion to a Slash 4x4. I've been researching, reading, researching some more for the last month or so. Many, many options out there, one person says one thing, another person says something different. I've got a couple questions that I haven't been able to find the answer, or I may just be missing the concept! Let me start out by telling what I've got so far. This is for my almost 8 year old son's xmas present. Currently he is driving a Grave Digger, 4x4 Stampede VXL setup I did for him in the spring. He has been constantly wanting a "bigger" truck like my EMBE that I've built up. I'm thinking a MT Slash 4x4 could be a good medium for him. Here's a list of what I have so far in parts to build this:

1. Slash 4x4 Chassis - already dyed black
    2. Slash front and rear Traxxas bumpers
    3. PL 2.8 Desperado's with Trenchers on them
    4. Slash center driveshaft, cover, battery holder, 2wd pede Rx box.
    5. RPM arms, adjustable body mounts
    6. MIP front and rear CVD's, currently on his p4de.
    7. BB Traxxas shocks

I was planning to keep the stock ESC and Velineon (has a fan on both ESC and motor currently) due to it being waterproof and he being a kid that finds mud and water! Keeping the stock p4de spur gear, and I have a 9 and 11 tooth pinion.

My question deals with the motor and selection of ESC's as well as pinion gears. No racing, just bashing around on cut grass, gravel, dirt, asphault. My concern is the VXL and Velineon overheating due to the larger tires. I only let him use 2s lipos. Traxxas 5800's and SPC 5400's. I can't seem to find another brushless motor/esc combo that is waterproof like the stock setup. Maybe I'm missing the fine writing?? Looked at Castle's 2400 and 3800 setup, I believe these are the sizes that most seem to run depending on where they run and what lipo setup they use, 2s,3s,4s, etc. Is there something I've missed as far as any other parts to upgrade? Any input or direction to look would be very appreciated! Thanks.
    My question
    Last edited by EmaxxChris; 10-09-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    FLM EMBE, P4de "Digger", Slash MT, Rustler/P4de

RC Qualifier
    Since I can't edit my previous post now, one question, would this "1/10 Sidewinder SCT Combo ESC/1410 Motor: 3800Kv" work better than the VXL/Velineon setup I currently have if I'm doing a MT conversion? Worried about temps and overworking the system with larger tires. Or would this "1/10 Max Pro SCT Combo ESC/1415 Motor: 2400Kv:" be a better choice? Just a general basher, grass/offroad mainly. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by EmaxxChris View Post
    Since I can't edit my previous post now, one question, would this "1/10 Sidewinder SCT Combo ESC/1410 Motor: 3800Kv" work better than the VXL/Velineon setup I currently have if I'm doing a MT conversion? Worried about temps and overworking the system with larger tires. Or would this "1/10 Max Pro SCT Combo ESC/1415 Motor: 2400Kv:" be a better choice? Just a general basher, grass/offroad mainly. Thanks!
    Both the SCT combo and MMP will work better then the vxl. That MMP setup is a beast, I've seen them break their own motor output shafts. I vote for the MMP system but its a lot of motor.

Check out jangs slash 4x4 build on ultimate rc. Its under ultimate projects. Might give ya some inspiration.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, will take a look at that!

RC Enthusiast
    All I can say is......I've installed 2.8 Traxxas wheels with Talons on my Slash. I have been running in short grass with 2S Lipo. I run on the Texas Gulf Coast, where it's freakin' hot ALL the time. I'm running the stock Slash 13t pinion and 54t spur and I have not had any heat issues so far with the VXL system. The only mod I have is a heat sink on the motor. No fans at all.

For what its worth.

RC Champion
    Just started on a \monster with my son. He is more interested at this point in a monster but we have a crate full of slash parts. I asked him if he was ready for a new truck, his eyes lit up and he said YES! So i handed him the bare chassis and told him its time to get cracking. He has all the parts we have all layed out across a piece of 4x8 plywood in the basement. He mangaged to get everything separated into groups with no help.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I decided to just stay with the VXL setup for now. If it goes out, I have a second stock esc/motor setup, I'll order a castle setup then.