RC Racer

friend bought a stampede

and there is no way I can keep up with him! I want more speed what is a good reliable motor and do I need a new ESC? Should I go brushless? I'm finding that I drive like an idiot and seem to break lots of parts. I don't mind replacing parts but I also wouldn't mind upgrading broken parts either.

RC Qualifier
    If you want to stay brushed, you should look into the DeWalt 14.4v drill motor. Do a search around the forum, and you'll find loads of how-to treads and such.
    This is a signature.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The Summit was never intended to keep up with anything fast. Making it go fast, you are going to break more parts... parts that really don't have any aftermarket. (aftermarket that hold up, anyway) You could get aluminum diff cups and hardened gears, but then your axles would go... MIP makes a set but I have seen lots and lots of failures and only a few success stories.

So, if you want to keep up... you may need a different RC.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    NO way are you going to be able to get a Summit to keep up with a stampede, they are light and fast. I have one so know that for a fact and plus mine as a CC system in it.
    Why I got a Summit, not for speed but for being able to go places my Stampede 4 x 4, or Slash 4 x 4 could never think of going.
    You want to keep up get a Stampede then get one then put out some extra money an get a CC system and see if he can keep up with you

Just run it over once or twice.
    That will slow him down some
    Gonna be hard to keep up to him in a summit

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Change your venue, rougher terrain will slow that stampede down or at least have it spend more time on its lid...

If you wanna go fast your best bet may be getting a rig designed to go fast.

By the time you upgrade your summit to go fast and keep up on replacing all the parts you may break on a regular basis it may be more cost effective to get a pede like your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    I really like jamann's comment......."just run it over once or twice". That is awesome!!!!

You will find yourself like many of us on here......owning more than one RC. I'm still hanging on to my Revo 3.3 because I have a couple buddy's that are Nitro and I can’t stand to be playing quietly with my erbe when they are out there making all that noise. LOL!!! Even though my erbe will smoke their Nitro's.

If you want to go fast and be able to interchange many of the same parts, get an eRevo. If you really want to be the fastest kid on the block get an ERBE (w/ the Mamba Monster).
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    Change your venue, rougher terrain will slow that stampede down or at least have it spend more time on its lid...

If you wanna go fast your best bet may be getting a rig designed to go fast.

By the time you upgrade your summit to go fast and keep up on replacing all the parts you may break on a regular basis it may be more cost effective to get a pede like your friend.
    Agreed. Your own Pede would probable be less expensive than a 50+ mph Summit.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    HAHAHAHA!! JAMANN!!! I like the way you think!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Very nicely put!

When my friends get their 1/16 Summit's I'll have to use that idea once or twice... For those of you who don't know the size differnce... here is a great picture showing just how small the 1/16 Summit is...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    Yeah there's really no point in putting a bunch of go fast parts on a Summit just so that you can keep up with a Stampede. And since you're breaking parts the way it is on the brushed Summit I wouldn't consider going brushless. You'll still break stuff but just much faster.

Go buy a Stampede or Rustler 2wd. Cheap parts, easy to work on, and something totally different from the Summit. Trust me I have a Stampede and Rustler. :P
    I really should be working.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    For what you would spend making your Summit as fast as your friend's Stampede, you could buy a nice used Stampede

ESC, motor, wheels, tires, springs, rockers, pushrods = "SumPede"!!
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Racer
    lol, I'm sure if it crosses my path it will in fact get "ooops!" (run over) haha! Yeah he kinda has buyers remorse cuz he realizes now that there isn't much terrain that we can both run on but I love my summit cuz I can run with him just won't be able to keep up. Mine doesn't handle nearly as well as the peede does any how I'll be the one on my lid!! I have the most versital rc on the market (in my opinion) I can crawl and go fast (kinda). I agree that I'll be getting another one to play with soon erbe, then he'll be chasing me!!!
    Question: is it cuz his is brush less that he has to come to a complete stop before he can go forward from reverse?

My other buddy is getting a dedicated crawler once again he might be able to go places that I can't but he won't be running with the peed either....

Now I see why some of you guys have more than one vehicle.
    Last edited by 04zrx; 10-10-2012 at 06:36 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 04zrx View Post
    Now I see why some of you guys have more than one vehicle.
    Yep, it’s contagious!!!! I think of it like having a real bad case of poison ivy. Once you get the itch you can’t help but to scratch it………….and it spreads fast and can get out of control if you’re not careful!!!
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Racer
    I really like the ERBE that would be nice. Going to be a while tho just got my Summit got to enjoy this before I get #2.