RC poster

T-Maxx classic questions

Hey guys and gals i was wondering what upgrades to get on the classic. I read alot about the rpm a-arms but is there one better? best off road tires, steering servo and shocks, fuel and should i get a wing mount?
    and im new to nitro so if you can help a guy out here. so what oil to use and stuff that brakes easly.

Can you post a pic of your truck... Most older trucks have had some mods done to them.

Tons of upgrades, but you might want to get a temp gauge and understand tuning before getting into upgrades....

Is this the Pro 15 model, or the 2.5... many call them both "Classics".... And there are differences....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC poster
    no i cant post a pic of it, um my grandpa said there was no motor so he is going to put a 3.3 on it, redo servos electrics and the a-arms (which ones are the best?) and should i get all the sensors for the docking base?

RC Qualifier
    Skip the sensors. You need a good temp gun and hone your skills on tuning. Ensure you break in that new engine exactly as instructed on the DVD and manual. Always perform after run care as instructed as well ! Rpm a-arms are a good upgrade. You might want to do the F.O.C. Mod to the tranny Too? I also recommend a pull start but that is strictly my preference.

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC poster
    thanks alot man and um whats F.O.C and mod to the tranny. and whats the deal with the pull starter, is it better than the EZ start? or what?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Maxxman1998 View Post
    thanks alot man and um whats F.O.C and mod to the tranny. and whats the deal with the pull starter, is it better than the EZ start? or what?
    FOC is Forward Only Conversion. It removes the pawls, the internal clutch and thre reverse gear from the primary output shaft and replaces the gear with a wider/stronger forward output gear. This removal of stuff from the tranny takes out a lot of "Rotational Mass", making it easier for the engine to spin up or spool up to top RPM's as well as removes a bit of a weak point in the tranny. This will also remove the reverse servo which takes off even more weight and gives your receiver batteries more run time due the lack of 1 servo on the system... Even if you are not moving the servo it still draws power...
    So IMHO FOC is a must...

Pull start, this is something of personal preference. Sounds like you are getting help from an experienced Nitro hobbyist? If this is the case then going pull start is no problem because you really need to have your tuning skills honed to use a pull start. They are the "drill sergeant's" of tuning... If you don't have your tune down expect blisters in between your fingers... What's the advantage? Again, weight, also you don't have to carry around the EZ start unit, the EZ start motor when removed will allow more air flow to the cooling head as well.
    EZ start advantage? It will turn over the engine continuously allowing the engine to start if your tune is not that great....

Either way you need to learn the tuning skills, they are crucial, poor tuning will equal an engine going to an early grave....

I highly recommend RPM wear plates to go over your skids, RPM a-arms, but I'd just upgrade to them if and when you break your current ones...

Here's a tuning thread to help with those tuning skills and also refer to the 3.3 engine owners manual for tuning instructions and break in instructions....

Oh, and when breaking in a new motor, grab your hair dryer, preheat the engine with it. It will cause expansion and allow for easier starting, new engines are very tight....
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...70#post2451270

Many people upgrade things as they break, it's less expensive this way. IF you read this post you can learn how to post pics of your RC, then you can figure out if it's the Pro 15 or the 2.5 and there's some serious differences that if not known can cost you some time and $$....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC poster
    Thanks man! That really helps a lot! Oh and one more thing what off-road tires too use?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Maxxman1998 View Post
    Oh and one more thing what off-road tires too use?
    Theres so many tires on the market these days, it all boils down to terrain you're running on.
    Proline Trenchers are a good multi purpose off road tire choice.
    If you're looking for longevity, the Traxxas chevron tires
    will last forever.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..