RC Racer

First time on a track

Yesterday I went to one of the LHS and gave their indoor clay track a try. Wow, I suck lol. Driving on a track is much harder than it looks. I was driving my Ultimate with the following set up.

Mamba pro 2400kv kit, MIPs in front (LHS didn't have rears), Revo spec slipper. I ran 2s and 3s batteries. I was really bad for the first 2 hours (admission is $5 for the day!) and greatly improved in the next hour and a half. Man was it a blast! The stock Slash Ultimate tires are not suitable for a clay track. I had planned on just being a basher but now I'm hooked on racing. I will probably spend the next month or so practicing before I try an actual Race.

I went back there today with new tires and Chad the owner set my truck up for me. Wow what a difference! Chad is an accomplished racer and took first place at the Alabama Manufacturers race this June. He told me he knows Sheldon personally and actually has beat him before in a race.

I love my truck right now!

RC Champion
    Now you really have the addiction!
    You will find over time that you need different tires for different surfaces. I manage to get by with 3 different sets. On a clay track I would be running Proline Bowties. You will know when you are really hooked when you buy a set up station.

RC Racer
    Right now I'm running Proline Calibers. We degreased all the diffs and put 10k in the front and center and 7k in the rear. He adjusted the camber and put 50w in the front and 60w in the rear (I may have that backwards.

RC Champion
    Calibers are also a good choice. Cleaning the grease out of the diffs was one of my first tasks to make it controllable as all the power was going to the front, my oil is 10K/30K/5K but hey, gotta try everything to see what works best. Im running 30 in the front shocks and 40 in the back but what weight you use depends highly on the shocks, the build of those shocks, which pistons are in them etc.

It's nice of him to help you out like that. We don't get that kind of service at my LHS.

When I started racing, my early goal was to make it around the track once without flipping over (wastes a lot of time), then on to not flipping for the entire heat. Not tipping shaved A LOT of time off my laps.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    It's nice of him to help you out like that. We don't get that kind of service at my LHS.

When I started racing, my early goal was to make it around the track once without flipping over (wastes a lot of time), then on to not flipping for the entire heat. Not tipping shaved A LOT of time off my laps.
    Lol. I have the same goals. After 3 days there I'm getting much better. I can actually turn in a few good laps before flipping over. At what point did you begin to race?

RC Qualifier
    Also look at he slayen setup thread it is a good starting point, you stated he adjusted your camber, how many degrees? Have you adjusted toe? Is it in or out and what degree?. Much of the control you gane is learned and not applied, meaning how you drive will be evident by how your truck reacts, it's very tempting to drive like a bat outta ....but practice cornering on throttle without flipping, it takes practice, that's the fun part
    Slash 4X4, MM 2200kv
    MIP CVD
    Tekno Bigbone

RC Qualifier
    LOL O.G.......if only I could get that through my 13yo son's head!!!!
    rc10T3, TT Sparrowhawk XXB, Slash 4x4, 1/16 Rally

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgb007 View Post
    Also look at he slayen setup thread it is a good starting point, you stated he adjusted your camber, how many degrees? Have you adjusted toe? Is it in or out and what degree?. Much of the control you gane is learned and not applied, meaning how you drive will be evident by how your truck reacts, it's very tempting to drive like a bat outta ....but practice cornering on throttle without flipping, it takes practice, that's the fun part
    I understand whar you're saying. The guy running the lhs is ranked 5th. He watched me run my truck, then spent a ton of time adjusting it for a starting point. He then watched me run again and made some additional adjustments. The truck is pretty awesome for me at this point. The issue is he let me drive a Losi truck and to me the Losi is way easier to drive.