RC Racer

Anyone have trouble putting back clips on Suspension Pins?

What up everyone. I notice when I wanted to re insert the little round clips on the ends of the suspension pins, I really had a hard time putting them back on. Is there an easy way around this?

RC Champion
    Nope. Get used to it lol. It's one of the down sides of working on Traxxas trucks... as my signature would suggest lol.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

Yes there is an easier way.
    DuraTrax Ultimate E-Clip Tool
    Or a good set of needlenose pliers to get them on and a sharp scribe to get them off.
    General Tool 84 Replaceable Needlepoint Scribe
    ^^^ This is an indispensable tool for me in my wrenching activities.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-09-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

Or get a set of STRC hinge pins which bolt on:

My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    WOW! I like that tool ksb51rl! I'm going to need one of those lol. As for the STRC hinge pins, they don't include that pin.

RC Racer
    Cool. A lot of good choices. The indispensable tool looks like the way to go. Thank you all for the feedback.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    WOW! I like that tool ksb51rl! I'm going to need one of those lol. As for the STRC hinge pins, they don't include that pin.
    What do you mean? Which pin are you missing?

Quote Originally Posted by lcaa View Post
    Equivalent to Traxxas part 3470, vertical kingpin, 2.5x31mm.

Re: the scribe, linked above, the nice thing about it is that it includes 4 extra points which are stored in the body under the endcap. I've used mine since around 2006 and I still have 3 spare points.

Edit: Dump the RPM caster blocks. They won't break but are too flexible and will allow an unending succession of bent pin unless you use titanium or modify the parts to accept a larger diameter pin. Aluminum in that one part will save your cash.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-09-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

Those two short screws in the pic below are the ones they are referring to - the strc kit doesn't include them.

Traxxas part 3640 has the threaded pins that screw in and replaced the e-clips for both plastic and aluminum c-blocks.

Using the STRC hinge pin kit in combination with the castor block pins -TRX 3640 - eliminated E-clips from my rig. I haven't used e-clips in years. BUT there are probably a few on my garage floor gathering dust after they launched off my truck. lol. Where do they go???

Last edited by O.G.; 10-09-2012 at 10:02 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Those two short screws in the pic below are the ones they are referring to - the strc kit doesn't include them.

Traxxas part 3640 has the threaded pins that screw in and replaced the e-clips for both plastic and aluminum c-blocks.

Using the STRC hinge pin kit in combination with the castor block pins -TRX 3640 - eliminated E-clips from my rig. I haven't used e-clips in years. BUT there are probably a few on my garage floor gathering dust after they launched off my truck. lol. Where do they go???

Sorry can't follow here: which pic below?

If you are using the STRC kit, you should be able to replace all hinge pins using e-clips on a Rustler VXL, correct?

Edit: the STRC comes with 8 pins the Traxxas 3640 has 10...??

RC Racer
    Using the STRC hinge pin kit in combination with the castor block pins -TRX 3640 - eliminated E-clips from my rig. I haven't used e-clips in years. BUT there are probably a few on my garage floor gathering dust after they launched off my truck. lol. Where do they go???So let me get this straight, I should use an STRC hinge pin combined with the traxxas caster block pin by putting them in the Caster block hole at the same time?
    So let me get this straight, I should use an STRC hinge pin combined with the traxxas caster block pin by putting them in the Caster block hole at the same time?

RC Champion

Traxxas part 3640 , Hv these , But they still back out , still need e-clips to hold them .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Qualifier
    In the whole scheme of things e-clips are easy, I mean it! Just a little practise with a needle nose and you'll be OK.

But you should fear the retainer clips used in the bottom of the Big Bore shocks... ****, those are annoying!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    In the whole scheme of things e-clips are easy, I mean it! Just a little practise with a needle nose and you'll be OK.

But you should fear the retainer clips used in the bottom of the Big Bore shocks... ****, those are annoying!
    Very true!

Here is the pic with link fixed:

Quote Originally Posted by robby22 View Post
    So let me get this straight, I should use an STRC hinge pin combined with the traxxas caster block pin by putting them in the Caster block hole at the same time?
    Use all of these:

plus the four short screws in this kit for the C-blocks:

And you have all your pins needed and no e-clips. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by rhardy60 View Post
    Traxxas part 3640 , Hv these , But they still back out , still need e-clips to hold them .
    Use loctite and they won't back out.

RC Racer
    Got it. Thanks O.G.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks O.G!

Are you using the fiberglass tie bar still when using the STRC hinge pins?

Thanks O.G!

Are you using the fiberglass tie bar still when using the STRC hinge pins?
    Yes and no. Most of my trucks have the stock fiberglass tie bar but I found a source for milled aluminum. Pm me and I'll give you the info.

So the STRC pins will work with fiberglass OR aluminum.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks OG!

I mounted the front pins now with the tie bar. No much left for the locknut, it is just enough to be threaded completely and a tiny bit more- we will see...should be fine...

Still not 100% sure where the pins are supposed to go...no manual with the STRC pins...

I have the Slash 4x4 ultimate, which has no e-clips in the rear arms- no e-clips= good! material probably the same as the front= bad.
    Last edited by lcaa; 10-17-2012 at 05:04 AM.

I find E-Clips to be about the easiest thing to handle. I mostly just use a flat head for installing and removing.